Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valkyrjur

valkyrjur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070ti
    Ok, anyway keep the hard work and sorry if I sound rude.

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    No worries, I understand how frustrating it could be to reinstall an OS.

Im curious about 1 thing. How could you not repair windows? you didnt have a restore point?

Additional info :
    This was Win 10 problem + amd card combinason only. (Win 10 changed some important stuff in the background compared with win 8.1 and lower.)
    This should be fixed with 15.0.0.1

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. 1600kHz

1600kHz Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB TFIII
    Thanks for fixing it valkyrjur.

Somehow my system just managed to boot, after a whole bunch of failures last night.

I've still got the inaccessible_boot_device error though, so no luck on that part. Care to explain what caused this, exactly? Just out of interest.

4. valkyrjur

valkyrjur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070ti
    I didn't fix anything :giggle2:, I just reinstall the whole OS, because I hadn't system restore points. (I disabled it).

5. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    The problem was caused by a difference from the earlier windows version.
    There is a device that I started to remove with 15.0.0.0 its a lowerfiler hooked to the PCI Express Root Context (or on some system, the PCI bus)

To remove this lower filter I update the device with the windows inf named "Machine.inf" then after this I remove the service AMDKMPFD.

The thing is, on windows 10 they changed the INf. its not named "machine.inf" anymore but "PCI.INF"

So the driver update failed and DDU was still removing the service.

The result, the PCI express root context wont work because 1 of it associated service is removed. And by so produce BSODs.

For the moment , DDU 15.0.0.1 workaround thhis by not blindly removing the AMDKMPFD service if DDU can still find its lowerfiler.

Next version of DDU will have the machine.inf change to pci.inf for windows 10

Reason I didnt fix this at same time on 15.0.0.1 its because I wasnt aware exactly what was going on on windows 10 to make the driver update fail until recently.

Anyway to summarize , the problem should not happen with DDU 15.0.0.1 becasue the service and device doesnt get removed anymore with the check I added. Next version of DDU will remove it correctly for this OS.

A system restore point would have save you quite a lot of time :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's a beta os, with beta drivers. All of us who have done this know that we will eventually pay the iron price :D

7. 1600kHz

1600kHz Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB TFIII
    Sorry, I meant Wagnard :giggle2:

My machine still refuses to POST sometimes. It runs for a minute or so without doing anything, then reboots and starts up fine. It can't be a coincidence that this happened right after using DDU.

I've just reverted to a previous build, courtesy of the blue startup/troubleshoot screen. Trying to escape yet another reinstall here.

8. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    The post issue is not related to DDU. That I'm sure of it.
    Check Your over clock if any or hardware

9. 1600kHz

1600kHz Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB TFIII
    Yeah it is pretty far-fetched. Weird coincidence then.

I've managed to boot into Windows after reverting back to 10041. I think I'll stay on the slow ring for a while!

10. 1600kHz

1600kHz Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB TFIII
    After another DDU clean yesterday, the POST issue returned. Leaving the computer with the PSU turned off over night remedied it: now it boots properly most of the time. Like before.

This might be an issue specific to me, but it definitely has something to do with DDU!

11. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Like I said, DDU can't break a system post.the very first thing it could affect is Windows boot.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sounds like bad motherboard capacitors/PSU man. Try to change the PSU at least and see if the problems persist. As Wagnard told you, the most his program can f*ck up is the Windows installation. Anything more than that is your hardware I'm afraid.

13. 1600kHz

1600kHz Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB TFIII
    Yeah, I get that. My hardware has been falling apart lately.

I'm still convinced DDU caused some kind of chain reaction though. It can't be a coincidence that this issue showed up out of nowhere, twice, on the first reboot after cleaning.

Which makes me wonder: does DDU do a soft or hard reboot?

14. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Just a heads-up for the next DDU version:

The Windows Update drivers 15.200.1018.1 (15.20-wNxt-150401a-180730E-ATI) come packed with CCC now, with it's own entry under Programs and Features: "AMD Catalyst Control Center", which DDU doesn't remove.

Exported registry node:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WUCCCApp]
    "DisplayIcon"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\msiexec.exe"
    "DisplayName"="AMD Catalyst Control Center"
    "DisplayVersion"="1.00.0000"
    "InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\AMD"
    "Publisher"="AMD"
    "UninstallString"="\"C:\\AMD\\WU-CCC2\\ccc2_install\\WULaunchApp.exe\" -uninstall"

This starts being problematic when a user deletes the C:\AMD\... folder, which effectively kills the uninstall procedure. /facepalm AMD! :3eyes:

15. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    DDU use this system command for reboot: "shutdown /r /t 0"
    Thanks for the info, more work for me it seems /facepalm
    The good thing tho, is that DDU doesnt use the AMD uninstall procedure, all is manually done :)

Edit, to remove this from program and feature, simply edit packages.cfg (from the ddu/settings/amd folder) and add this without the quote "wucccapp"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

16. galneon

galneon New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Has anyone with safe mode failure problems in Windows 8.1 managed to fix it by means other than formatting? Whenever I try to go into safe mode, I arrive at the desktop with safe mode in all four corners (as expected) and the screen blanking for a few seconds, then repeating. No task bar. This continues forever and keyboard input is ignored until I reset manually. The cursor is present and goes from normal to busy and back repeatedly. This is a relatively new install on an X99 rig.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    In normal mode, run
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    in an Command Prompt as an administrator.

Sounds like you have borked Windows files.

18. galneon

galneon New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Managed to find the cause when rolling back all possible tweaks. The UxStyles (allowing custom visual styles) service wasn't starting in safe mode, so Windows repeatedly failed to load the GUI.

19. valkyrjur

valkyrjur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070ti
    Thanks for the explain of what happened in Windows 10 Wagnard.
    :):)

20. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    Just an FYI for everyone.

System Restore is very specific in what it does. Google it and you will see. The only way to be 100% sure you can restore your system to a functioning one is too take a disk image of your boot drive before running DDU. Better yet, schedule disk image backups at regular intervals using your favorite disk imaging software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.