Download & Discuss AMD Catalyst 15.4 Beta Driver for Windows OS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Apr 13, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That sounds a lot like a hardware/firmware issue. I don't have that with my 7970. What is your vBios version?

2. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    My card is Powercolor 7850 PCS+,and they do not provide any vBios update for this card.So it is official vBios since I bought it.

I RMA'd it once that it will random crash my PC when 3D gaming for past 2 years.
    After RMA now working fine with 14.12omega.

This is my GPUz info:
    [​IMG]

If it is really a hardware issue again,well I think I will just buy a new card.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    not all profiles are exposed in CCC

look here: http://www.kn00tcn.net/site/ati-catalyst-profiles/

4. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    I assure you that if you follow my post, you will test until satisfactory. If not, let us know and for sure, we have ways to pinpoint the problem.

5. Jysoul

Jysoul Guest

GPU:
    2 x ASUS R9 280X OC
    I have experienced that hang at game to menu and continue from saved game. Wait 5 mins or so and see. if it hangs longer than that, check the application and system event logs for Warnings or Errors.

It happens for me on any driver version and I don't believe it's because of the video driver or its software.

6. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    After spending some time with 15.4 beta, playing GTA 5 with vsync either on or off in crossfire, I get frequent stutter and frame drops.
    A good place to test it consistently is replaying mission Franklin and Lamar and watch the whole opening scene. Crossfire always stutter while single gpu is butter smooth.
    I hear the green team is also facing the same issue...

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Are you dealing with multiple monitors?

The video memory looks overclocked on your 7850 (reference is 1200MHz). If you have multiple monitors, and do anything with UVD (like YouTube when it's using HW-accelerated video decoding), it'll cause the video memory to shift back to reference clocks, and on muti-monitor setups (maybe even single too) can cause instability.

8. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
  9. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Nope,just like my profile said,I only use one 24" 1080P monitor via DVI.

I tested it over and over in 14.12omega and all were fine for about 2 months since it backed to me from RMA.

I have this issue with 15.3 so I rolled back 14.12omega to see if my card is faulty again but all were fine.

Now 15.4 is out and I try it again yesterday and same result ,random TDR.

A quick look:
    14.12omeg(2 months fine)----15.3beta(8 days fine and then TDR)---14.12omega(3 weeks fine)---15.4beta(one day TDR)---roll back to 14.12 and fine(tested UVD again).

I know this card is OC version but it is factory OC not manual OC,if I have to down clock I do not know what I paid for.(in fact,before RMA down clock is nothing help it still random black-screen crash)

I tested UVD (even IE/firefox/chrome 3 youtube video opened the same time) again and again and alll are normal.(14.12omega)

I will keep trying till next beta is out.If 14.12omega give me same result, well, I will RMA it again, but for now all are fine.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you go the RMA route, you could try maybe flashing the latest vBios for your card?

As I saw, you have version 17, and the latest available in the TechPowerUp vBios database is version 27. I don't know if your card has a Bios switch, or only Tahiti and above has it.

The bios is here and the latest AtiWinFlash is here.

I don't recommend this procedure, I just state that I would do it. It is dangerous and it might void your warranty and/or destroy your hardware. It would be helpful if you could send me a vBios dump using GPU-Z before you flash, so that I can at least check if you have the same type of vBios as the card I'm linking you too.

In order to do flash (which I DO NOT RECOMMEND UNTIL AT LEAST WE CHECK YOUR CURRENT VBIOS FILES), you have to extract the AtiWinFlash files in a folder, and copy the .rom file in that folder.

Then, you open a CMD prompt as an administrator in that folder and type:
    Code:
    atiwinflash -f -p 0 Powercolor.HD7850.2048.121031.rom
    It should flash, you press ok and restart. The line above will work if the 7850 is the only and first gpu in your system.

11. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Thanks for the advice and the detail guide,but..

I know TechPowerUp vBIOS database (before RMA I search many things on google),but it has risk and not Powercolor official route so I am not going to do that.Also for the warranty reason.Maybe I have to RMA it again.

Powercolor whatever does not provide any vBIOS update,maybe I will switch to another vendor (MSI or others) that provides official vBIOS update if I have to buy a new card.

As for the RMA,I got 'ECN Upgrade' report in my RMA,which means some components on the card were replaced.So it is not vBIOS issue,they(Powercolor) did not update vBIOS too when I sent it to RMA.The card also passed QC again in RMA.

It seems there is 2 different version of PCS+
    1.PCS+ (no UEFI vBIOS)
    2.PCS+ with UEFI vBIOS ready
    http://powercolor.com/us/products_s...t&ByIntention=&ByUniqueFeature=&submit=Search

And TechPowerUp vBIOS database's Powercolor 7850 is not PCS+,the look is different.

Mine is the first,and the card does not have any vBIOS switch,here is a closer look :
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_PCS_Plus/
    It has 2 DVI/2 mini displayport/1HDMI,The only different is the card's video memory in this review is Hynix while what I bought has Elpida.

12. elch

elch Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    MSAA creates glitches in GTA 5

This driver creates glitches in the right bottom corner for me, when playing GTA 5 and using MSAA. :puke2:

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Which OS?

14. elch

elch Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    Win 8.1 64

15. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    If you run msinfo32, save, upload somewhere then provide a link, I'll more than likely be able just to use that to tell you why your machine is crapping out with Flash.

It's not the card, nor the bios on the card.

16. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    Just finished playing GTA V for a half hour. When I started it, it complained about only 2 GB memory, but I told it that I don't care.

At 1080p and graphics settings tweaked upward from standard (gonna look more into this of course!) I was getting well over 40 fps most of the time. I don't care about numbers for the most part. The game was playing smooth, no stutters, aiming was smooth and nice and basically no delays.

If it works this well on my machine, then I would have to say congrats to Rockstar, AMD and all other parties involved.

This game looks interesting to say the least.

Rumblepad II works well and all, including the rumbling.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Looks good. I struggle to get a solid 40FPS at 1920x1200 with a single 7950 with adjusted settings. The game does appear very optimized though. Scaling with my i7 is fantastic (last thread isn't used much though).

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's the card, welcome to Powercolor.

The VRM's can't keep up with the UVD clock fluctuations hence the TDR while watching Flash videos and to a lesser extent gaming. The only way u can fix it is to either bump up the voltage slightly or disable hardware acceleration in the browser, personally I would try and RMA it.

There have also been a couple of driver releases over the years which have dropped the GPU voltage slightly thereby also contributing to the TDR/blackscreens, hence why one set may have seemed less troublesome than another set.

Powercolour areto blame for about 90% of the crashes, basically because they are the cheapest GPU on the market and quality control isn't wonderful.

Oh, one more thing, make sure you have the latest version of Flash and protected mode is disabled, this can aggravate the issue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  19. prometheus55

prometheus55 Guest

GPU:
    2 - Sapphire R9 270X 4Gb
    I wasn't very happy with the new beta drivers, but I have an alternative for at least part of configuring your cards for "any" Crossfire, or SLI game. Even games that are said "not" to benefit, actually will using a few simple reg tweaks.

Not allowed to post the link to the info, but here's the path to the tweaks in the reg.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\....various drivers, OS's, and types of GPU's have different end paths, so once "here", scroll down through the reg keys until you find the one that has the settings bundled in the "0000" line of that particular key. It will probably be closer to the bottom of the list, than the top. Once you find it though, you can write down the path, and bank on it being the same unless a driver, or OS change.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, with the Catalyst 14.501.1003-141120a-177998C driver package, and the reg key to get to the ULPS and Crossfire settings is listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E15DE3B8-E9E3-4CE4-A0E9-281A066445C4}, under the very first reg key address below it of "0000".

Although I can't post the direct link here because of my user ratings, the info is found in the Windows Seven Forums under "Windows 7: ULPS (Ultra Low Power State) - Disable for AMD CrossfireX".

PM me, or email me, and I can help you find the link if need be.

Take note that just above the "EnableUlps" settings control, you will see "EnableCrossFireAutoLink".

Both of these settings have good use, and will in no way damage your graphics cards when voltage increases, core, and memory clocks are used "wisely". Also setting identical fan, core, and mem settings on both cards to avoid BSOD's, or loss of hardware.

I highly recommend using these, and other registry tweaks you will no doubt want to explore conservatively, never pushing your cards above 60-65C for prolonged periods of time for any reason, as ambient energy or "heat" is the greatest enemy a gaming system (especially graphics cards) has. No computer hardware life span benefits from temps that exceed temps such as 65C.

The registry control for change to initiate constant CrossfireX via the "EnableCrossFireAutoLink", needs to be set to "1" instead of "0". This eliminates the need to configure what games initiate Crossfire, or SLI, and can be changed back if so desired at any time. Setting these registry entries can make a marginal difference in graphics performance, as even the games that don't call for CrossfireX, or SLI will benefit from their use.

To test this tweak, if you're running a version of Windows 7 32, or 64bit with "Performance Information And Tools", run the tests with, and without the Crossfire settings, and check your scores. I guarantee you'll see a major difference in graphics performance alone.

Remember to "manually" set both cards to identical specs. Even though the secondary cards memory isn't used in Crossfire, heat rises, so pay special attention to fan speeds.

There is a price for extreme performance that's better paid with a little more noise, than the cost of replacing graphics cards, or other hardware such as your mobo, PSU, memory, etc, as mods to your graphics has an effect on almost every aspect of your rig in one way or another.

I personally recommend no less than a fan speed of 70% under full load, even if you are forced to tolerate the extra noise.

In 23 years of being a comp mech tech, using the very first SLI cards, namely, the Voodoo II 8mb, and it's big brother, the 12mb cards, as well as Crossfire in it's preliminary stages, to present day CrossfireX and SLI configurations, combined with the loss of several thousands of dollars in hardware (not just graphics cards are effected by OCing and over-volting them) in the process via heat (ambient energy) from voltage and clock speed tweaks using software that either had no benefit, or, was unpredictable at best.

I cannot emphasize enough the danger of using tweaks such as these without first doing an in depth study as to the pro's and cons of such tweaks via the registry.

Once you find these tweaks, there's little doubt you will see other things that can be used to alter performance, and/or availability or access to features vendors hide intentionally so that the product they sell "cannot" be damaged by unwise use of them.

Many will find that various "bloated, resource hogging tweaking software" is no longer needed by using registry tweaks such as these, and those same resources once used by said software, is again available for gaming performance and stability for not only gamers, but anyone using multimedia intensive programs.

Apologies to the Admins, moderators, and forum users for the long post, but hopefully it was informative enough to be useful to at least a few others who dare to do their homework in order to achieve killer performance without hassle of having to config Crossfire or SLI for "any" game, and if/when used properly, eliminate the need for "per game" configs on multi GPU machines.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    ....Or simply tick 2 checkboxes in MSI Afterburner settings:

- Synchronize settings for similar graphics processors

- Disable ULPS