AMD 2015 First Quarter Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD today announced revenue for the first quarter of 2015 of $1.03 billion, operating loss of $137 million and net loss of $180 million, or $0.23 per share. Non-GAAP operating loss was $30 million and...

AMD 2015 First Quarter Results

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    This is no good. How can they maintain decent R&D if they are generating loss and accumulating debt? Yet without the development of exciting new technologies and products, they can never change the situation for the better.

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    this makes me sad...:3eyes:

4. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Well, there was nothing new from them on the CPU & GPU department. I hope things will turn around with the 3xx series & (if they can do it this year) the new CPU architecture. Come on, AMD, we need you!

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What are the odds that a company will buy out AMD before 2020? There's so much wrong with what's going on that I don't know where to begin. In fact I don't want to think about it.

I can't believe it's been 9 years since the Core 2s rolled around and AMD's decline began.

6. viliu24

viliu24 Guest

GPU:
    vtx3d 7970 / 16gb ram
    if amd is gone, everything is lost, no competition , only monopol from intel and nvidia. THAT SUX

7. GHAM1

GHAM1 Guest

GPU:
    sapphireTRIXX R9 290x CF
    we ****ed if amd goes down
    even more ****ed if nvidia decides to buy them out
    ill def be moving over to console as hardware esp GPUs would then be to expensive for no reason.
    nvidia fan boys need to start buying amd cards as they need amd as much as we do lol

and ever since the fall of amd cpu's
    intel ****ed us over so many times ... just need to take what they give

8. GHAM1

GHAM1 Guest

GPU:
    sapphireTRIXX R9 290x CF
    they have technology that's going to take nvidia a year to catch up (well less than a year now)
    yet they taking there own time to release, the longer they wait, the less the lead becomes the less sales less profit.

this would make more business sense instead of aiming for big profit per unit

if i had a year lead id go for smaller profit more sales and hurt the opposition at the same time .... smalls profit more sales = big profit after that year lead
    as more people would be able to atleast afford buying something could even steal oppositions clients

faster performance for maybe half the price (go figure)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    nvidia been safe for long time, ever since Kepler but mainly 900 series.
    AMD going down fast, but i think they'll survive and someone will buy them eventually, heck who knows? it might be Sammy after all.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those results are as expected. Nothing changed regarding buy-out, it's not gonna happen.
    AMD is killing unprofitable technologies which are going to be replaced soon or have no future.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If the 300 series does not sell well, Zen will be the last cpu they put out. They are upside down. If they can half that debt and maintain the current cash balance, they would be on the road to recovery. As it stands, the burn rate will deplete their cash before the end of 2016. So expect to see them exiting more business segments before the year is out.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No wonder really no new releases on gpu department since forever while nvidia released few. No new cpus for a while and so forth.

13. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Let's hope the 300 series does better.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This was a record bad quarter revenue wise, and they are forecasting even worse Q2:

For Q2 2015, AMD expects revenue to decrease 3 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, sequentially.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD's new processor architecture isn't due out until H2'16 according to rumors.

AMD has never rushed to get anything to market. Their company history is full of late launches. That's actually the 1 thing they're nearly perfect at....launching products too late.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They REALLY need to get the 3 series out ASAP.

17. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Loss, loss and loss in Q2 as well. I know the "new" GPUs will come out but still not enough money to make on it. Maybe in Q3.

18. Demrock

Demrock Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    Imagen if Nvidia would have dropped the price of their maxwell gpu's.....

AMD would have sold even less gpu's then they already did.

I just cant fathom what is taking them so long to release or give info about the 300 series.
    Any info at this point could counter sales from nvidia and keep people from buying gpu's wich is why i think they do not release any info about the 300 series as it will hurt them and their retailers even more.

I cannot think of anything else why AMD refuse to release information about their new flag ships

19. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Nvidia and intel fans love this they dont give F about AMD they want expensive vidoecards with no innovation.

Also Majority of PC 99% favor Nvidia-Intel.

PC market is declining because overall customers and sites only follow and buy thats most popular sadly.

I give it couple years and end of PC market is a fact.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They won't release info because they are still 2 months away. A paper launch is one thing, it's effective when you're in this kind of situation. But if they paper launch now with zero products till June, that's like a huge advertising failure.

Obviously AMD should have got the card out months ago, but I'm sure they are trying their best to push it forward. I almost guarantee the issue is with yields on the interposer. If a single channel of HBM is lost, you basically lose the entire interposer. I doubt they are doing any redundancy with the modules themselves. I guess you can just cut the whole module out and bin it for a lesser chip but that's still probably costly, considering HBM is new and probably still expensive to manufacture atm.

The PC market isn't declining, it's getting larger. Stop crying about lack of innovation. Every company out there is innovating in a bunch of different areas. The competition is just simply being shifted into low power. Nvidia is effectively competing against qualcomm/Apple/Samsung now, same with Intel.

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-market-to-exceed-usd25-billion-this-year-dfc
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2014/07/14/the-console-war-is-over-the-pc-already-won/
    http://legitreviews.com/images/news/2012/pc-gaming-market.jpg
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/analyst-downloadable-titles-make-up-92-of-pc-games-market/

Yep definitely dead in a couple of years despite increasing annually since forever. /s

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015