Review: Gigabyte G1.Sniper B6

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the budget yet high-end board G1.Sniper B6 from Gigabyte, it is based on the lower cost B85 chipset from Intel. B85 based motherboards typically end up in business desktops and normally are ...

Review: Gigabyte G1.Sniper B6

2. lanelor

lanelor Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    Can someone explain why CF/SLI with Gen3x16+Gen2x4 is bad for a gaming rig?

Most tech sites show 5% loss at most, while the majority of people report losses of 10%+. Technically the bandwidth should be sufficient for most mainstream cards, so maybe the CPU is chocking?

3. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    Nice review, it's the perfect MB for the money!

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Is it just me or is this the "cleanest" ATX motherboard in existence? Seriously look at the PCB - there's almost NOTHING on it. Get rid of the white print and the heatsinks and it'd look almost barren. I'm not complaining, I just think it's crazy that you can fit in so much technology while being so "empty".

Well, 2.0 at x4 has the performance of 1.0 at x8. When you get to speeds like that, most high-end GPUs from the past 3 or 4 years are going to start losing performance. Not much, but enough. It really all comes down to what you intend to CF/SLI. If you do anything that isn't enthusiast grade, you're probably fine.

Overall, it seems that PCIe 3.0 x16 is overkill for just about anything. DX12 or Vulkan could possibly change that though.

5. lanelor

lanelor Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    I agree that there is loss of performance, still there are no recent GPU tests of x16+x4, which is most of the lower tier of CF/SLI gaming mobos. Honestly I am a bit curious, yet not enough to buy a new MOBO+CPU+may be DDR4+CASE just to test the performance :)

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Exactly why I am still on my X58 setup.
    Just no point on upgrading. My board has two 2.0 x16 and two 2.0 x8 slots.
    And 2.0 X16 is still not really slowing my 290 down at all.

Plus I have a 6 core Xeon. Im not gonna go to a quad core for a few extra % of single core performance when my cpu is @ 4.5ghz. Not worth the cost of a new motherboard and CPU, and memory.

I may use my tax return next year and get a new 6 six core,16gb DDR4, and nice motherboard. That system would last me a good 4-5 years.

I know this is a long ramble post guys lol.

I really love the Gigabyte Sniper boards. Ive always wanted one.
    My friend has the X58 G1 killer.

7. vajoiner

vajoiner Guest

GPU:
    Mystique G200
    that whole strip on the right side are leds? thats pretty neat. can they be turned off or have anything like pulse etc?

8. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I'm shocked that voltage was allowed for a preset OC mode :eek3:.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Now lets hope Gigabyte doesnt bait and switch with a 1.1 or 1.2 version with inferior parts, less phases, etc.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    if it was the normal version i would, but it is the sniper version...

how about the LN2 preset on the latest bios of OC version from MSI?
    normaly if you buy those Mobo you know what you can do or not.

but i agree on the fact that it should be more explained on the box or manual (just in case of... lol :pc1:)

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This would be perfect to go with a Pentium k super cheap and powerful.

12. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    That thing is gorgeous.

13. chismo

chismo Guest

GPU:
    Hey, thanks for the review. I purchased this board and it's pretty solid so far 4690k @ 4.7ghz (1.29v).

A couple of things I noticed/didn't realise. DDR-1600 is the max select-able (that's a chip set limitation).

The offset voltage mode doesn't work for me, negative offset or positive the voltage just stays the same.

The on-board sound is pretty good to my ear and gear (Denon D2000) it has plenty of gain which is nice as my old board was only just load enough at max.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  14. Moonraker™

Moonraker™ Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800LE (OC'd to almost a GT)
    I swear I saw somewhere this would take more faster but OC'd. Have you pushed it to higher? I will be buying 1600 based on what you've said now as you've thrown me back a bit. I was on other forums and not one person raised that. Even PCPARTPICKER hasn't raised it. The 2133 is gone then and I'll just oc the 1600

15. chismo

chismo Guest

GPU:
    No way that I've found to increase it, I don't think it's possible. 16x is the highest memory multiplier you can set and the Bus Clock is fixed so you're stuck at 1600 or lower (not that it matters much real-world). I have some DDR1866 C9 that I'm running @1600 7-8-8- CR1.

Also what I was saying earlier about the voltage offset being broken makes zero difference as this board still clocks down and reduces voltage even with the voltage manually set. As long as the C3/EIST etc. is on it still down-volts/clocks at idle. So offset it kind of redundant.

16. Moonraker™

Moonraker™ Member

GPU:
    What are your feelings on it though? It's strange it seems playable with CPU, but not memory so much. The review here says it was fiddly, but still. Surely there's some lee way on the mem? Even latencies going down?

What are your stock 1866 latencies in full on your memory? Did this just drop them down to lower latencies auto when running 1600? May work out nice low latencies with the 2133MHZ then?

I'm about to order this board, so would appreciate your feedback.. granted, a lot of it is for the green style... and that I'm happy with a GTX 970 on Gsync 1080p etc. - Would just like to know

17. chismo

chismo Guest

GPU:
    The default latency was 9-10-8 @1866 the XMP gave me 8-9-8 @1600 but I changed it manually to 7-8-8 @1600. I'm not sure what you are planning to use the board for but it's not a good choice for SLI or Crossfire due to the lack of lanes, so for single GPU usage I doubt the memory clocking/speed makes any real difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7

18. Moonraker™

Moonraker™ Member

GPU:
    I'll never be a fan of SLI/X-fire for various reasons. AS I stated above "I'm happy with a GTX 970 on Gsync 1080p" - So no probs there. Plus, it's not all for gaming at all.

The latencies will help, I've just gone for 1600Mhz sticks. Have you changed any voltages for those timings?

Quick question, did you just put the 4690 straight in? No issues? They're only on rev1.0 anyway, but nice to ask.

Thanks again

19. chismo

chismo Guest

GPU:
    Yeah sorry, not the best reading on my part. :)

No just the default voltages (reads about 1.51v). Yeah it has Devil's support out of the box if that's what you are asking? No issues at all so far.

20. Moonraker™

Moonraker™ Member

GPU:
    Excellent mate, thank you for everything. Ordered one now. Happy days. Will be putting a build log on another site of a certain Canadian Youtuber. Green black all the way :)