5820k no longer overclocks!!!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Madhatstand, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    Booted PC first thing after coming home from a hard days work only to be greeted with a bios error message saying my overclock has been unsuccessful!?

Weird thing is that my bios settings haven't changed since December last year and until today I've had no issues at all!

So after resetting settings to default which got me into windows, I updated the bios to latest version (I was only one version behind as new one popped up a couple of weeks back which I missed!) - that made bugger all difference and any major tweaking now just throws up a bios error!

I only ran a mild 4ghz overclock and I'm using an H100i cooler in a huge Fractal Arc XL case, temps are always low and are currently still low at stock settings so a little stumped by this sudden problem which came out of the blue.

Currently at stock settings with the only adjustment being I've set my ram to it's xmp2 profile which is 2666 - ran a few benches and tests and all's good at stock levels - but any major tweakage and bam, error :(

Basically my old overclock settings used the XMP1 profile (3000mhz ram @ 1.35v 125 blck) then all I used to change was the multiplier to 32 and the cpu volts to 1.160 which gave me a modest 4ghz overclock - as mentioned before I don't like tearing the balls out of my system unless I need to and this was fine with me until today! Stumped as to why this no longer works as it's been rock solid with those settings since Christmas!!!!

i7 5820k
    MSI X99S MPower
    16GB Kingston Predator 3000 DDR4
    Corsair H100i
    2x 680 Sli
    Seasonic X1050
    Soundblaster Z

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. Madhatstand

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    Well, I'm now back to 4ghz but with a 100blck and 2666 ram at its XMP2 profile, turns out it's the 125 blk 3000 ram settings it's suddenly decided not to like... weird!

Obviously I want to run my ram at 3000 again so I wonder why it's suddenly decided it nolonger likes a 125blk when previously it was fine for months... any ideas people?

I'm bored with fiddling for the day, but will probably give the hardware a good once over at the weekend re-seating everything just to double check that side of things unless anyone has any better suggestions?

3. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Reseating is a good place to start. Oxidation builds up over time and changes the electrical properties of the contacts.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

5. Madhatstand

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    This thread implies that it's the CPU which is responsible for stability at a 125blck and implies that it will or won't work depending on the luck of the draw... well mine used to handle it absolutely fine, so I'm not convinced that it's such a black and white problem as this thread suggests.

So, does anyone have any tips to get an msi x99 mobo onto a 125blk? i.e would adjusting any other voltage parameters or settings help?

I've only ever set the 125 blck via my rams XMP profile, perhaps I'll try manually setting everything over the weekend to see if that makes any difference?

I've previously used AMD CPUs for a good while now and whilst I understand the basics of intel overclocking I'm not as clued up with the complete system so any relevant tips to try out would be most appreciated!

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think that is what the guy suggested in that thread, manually set the BLCK.

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Just to be clear here. Are you talking about using a 125 strap or actually having 125 set as your blk speed?

8. Madhatstand

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    Same thing is it not - there's only one option in the bios to adjust and it looks like it sets the relevant strap dividers automatically

[​IMG]

It's a pic of the bios screen with the settings taken from when it used to work before a bios upgrade in feb - the 125 blck here is set from the XMP profile...

I'll dig out the memory timings and try and will have a crack setting it all manually later this week - I'm currently preloading GTA V so don't want to be fiddling with the bios now lol!

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    No, it's not the same. There are different straps that are effectively the multipliers that determine the RAM speed. The reference clock and frequency settings on that screen will control it.

AFAIK, blk overclocking is not recommended nowadays, I'm not 100% on Haswell-E but it's certainly a no no with Haswell.

Lots of other things including the PCI bus are linked to BLK speed, so you're not just overclocking the CPU.

I don't know why it worked before but IMO, must have been risking all sorts of issues. I would recommend going back to 100 and just using CPU multiplier. You can get away with 2-5% BLK sometimes but IMO, it's just not worth it.

You can mess about with the reference clock and frequency settings to change your RAM speed but I think if you do some testing, you'll find there's virtually no difference in performance running 2666 or 3000. Optimising the CPU speed is much more effective.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  10. Madhatstand

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    According to all the blurb for my mobo it's supposed to set the appropriate straps and dividers automatically when using a 125 bclk - so theoretically it should be safe!

Not had time to fiddle with any manual settings for the ram yet as I've been too busy using it to experiment, but for time being I'll leave the bclk at 100 with my ram at 2666 and will raise a ticket with MSI so that they'll hopefully improve stability with my ram at 3000mhz in a future bios update!

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I don't think so. I think you're also overclocking the PCI bus and hdd controller by changing the bulk. Use the ram reference clock and frequency settings if you want to tweak your ram speed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015