Career Break/Travelling

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BLEH!, Apr 9, 2015.

1. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane

Going on holiday and travelling are totally different. What i spent on a 2-3 week holiday i could travel for a couple of months or more.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Care to elaborate? Since the plane ticket is the same, trains are not for free (at least not that I know of), food is not for free (okay, not so many fancy restaurants but still you have to eat), accomodation isn't free (hostels aren't free either)....

I believe it is possible, but what's the trick behind it? Working low wage jobs on the way?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I wondered the same.

4. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I think he means that going on "holiday" is like a huge investment because when you are on holiday you want the best (for you) which for some could be 4-5 star hotel/resort with the big spa's etc.

But if you want to "travel" then its a lot cheaper to just stay in hostel/bed and breakfast or even camping out somewhere to save on you cash then moving on. Hitching rides from people etc etc

5. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    As for the plane ticket depends where you go and what time of year you go.

Accommodation can be as cheap or as expensive as you want.

Food if you can eat the local food then its cheap.

Travel use local buses or trains.

Work of course you have do some work depending on your finances. When i was in the South Pacific i worked on 4 boats for passage to other Islands.

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Heres some great information for people that travel like me.
    http://www.openworldmag.com/earn-money-traveling-financially-successful-extreme-travelers-share-2/

The key is internet income, working on the internet, teaching something, and some other sources of income.
    I prefer to not travel all year round though. I like to work my butt off half a year in the US, then work less somewhere else.

I don't recommend this lifestyle to everyone. You have to be very frugal, independant, and mentally strong. You have to be happy that all you own is what's in a backpack or box. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015