Gigabyte Radeon 7970 Windforce - tow cards in row - faulty. Possible?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BambOOs, Apr 4, 2015.

1. BambOOs

BambOOs Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
    Hello and welcome!

I need your help mates... because I have no idea already...

First of all, here is my PC:
    CPU: I5-2500K (non OC)
    MB: AsRock P67 Pro 3
    RAM: 2 x 4 GB Kingston HyperX Black
    PSU: XFX TS 550 W
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7970 Windforce factory OC

At first, I bought used XFX TS 550W (used to power-up bitcoin miner: Antminer S1) with 4 years and 3 month warranty left.

Then I bought used Gigabyte Radeon 7970 Windforce (non OC version, stock AMD clocks) - and here problems started. First boot - OK, no problems, windows installed it's own driver. Then I rebooted the PC and got this:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/v58dcrw99x8tjtw/IMG_20150401_230948.jpg
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/i5g0y688pnh96ra/IMG_20150401_230952.jpg
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/yqtb2bt281t8jzs/IMG_20150401_231002.jpg

These artifacts never shows, when PC is booting "from zero", but while rebooting the OS (and not at every time).

Second problem with this card: When I install driver (newest Omega), computer needs to be rebooted at the end of installation. Its normal, yeah. After reboot, everything is OK. But if I reboot the OS one more time, the resolution is the lowest as possible, and Windows is trying to install drivers for VGA.

First idea: the card it's faulty, so I returned it to the seller, and got money back.

As I was 100% sure, that the card was faulty, I bought another 7970 form Gigabyte, but this time - factory overclocked (but not GHz edition).

And guess what happened...The same problems, the same artifacts, all the same. Even problems with drivers is the same.

Here is what I did already, to find out reason of my problem:
    1. Checked voltages with voltage meter - all are OK.
    2. Checked the card on another PC, but with mine PSU - no artifacts, but problem with drivers still persist.
    3. Temperatures are OK.
    4. BIOS of GPU and MB is newest.

I don't have such problems with my old Gigabyte 7850 1 GB card...

Is it possible, that my motherboard or PSU are faulty?

Now, I don't know what should I do... Return the card to the seller, or maybe change motherboard?

And today I was playing CS:Go - after ~1 hour of playing - black screen, no signal...

I don't know.. Two cards in row, and exatcly the same problem?

What do you think? Please help me.

Greetings.

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    thats looks like faulty video memory, have you tried underclocking it via msi afterburner?

IMHO i think you should take the card back

3. BambOOs

BambOOs Member

GPU:
    So, you think that is simply bad luck and I bought two identical faulty cards, right?

4. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC

5. BambOOs

BambOOs Member

GPU:
    Yes, I tried it already.

Problems with drivers solved by Windows Update, but only if BIOS switch is on "2" position. There should not be such issues with drivers, depending on bios switch position...

The problem is in card itself (second, same card, and the same problem? Such a bad luck?) or with motherboard.

There is no problems in games at all.

What should I do? Send the card to RMA? If new/repaired card will have the same problems, then I have to change motherboard.

What do you think?

6. Sincreator

Sincreator Member

GPU:
    Zotac Amp GTX1070
    My brother had the same issue with his p67 board with his new r9 290. He was using MSI live update to look for bios updates, but the one he needed wasn't there. He visited the page/website for his board and there was a newer driver available that addressed the issue. Once installed, the card worked properly on both bios switches. It had something to do with the UEFI bios that caused the issue he was having. If you are lucky ASrock may have a bios that they can provide through customer care. I checked the site and the latest is from 2012 though.... I guess my brother was lucky that MSI released a bios so long after releasing the board.

7. BambOOs

BambOOs Member

GPU:
    Does your brother had the same both problems (with artifacts and driver install) or only with one of these?

I already talked with AsRock support. They have beta BIOS which is especially released to fix problems with graphic cards, but I flashed it and the problem still occurs, so I flashed back 3.30, final version.