How long time i need to wait for next gen

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by elpsychodiablo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    I really want a new GPU.

i tried 285 but send it back 2gb was not enough for my games, but a Tonga Refresh with 4GB really could makes me happy.

Are any plans of new AMD GPU before GTA release?

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I wouldn't say before GTA V as that is only a few weeks away.

But AMD are in the process of releasing their new R9 300 series.

Of which the R9 390X will be the top dog and if rumors are to be believed it will be as fast if not slightly faster than a TITAN X.

If this is true, and it is faster than TX, expect to pay for that performance. It will cost more than a GTX980 (if it doesn't then awesome but unlikely).

This will cause Nvidia to release the rumored GTX 980Ti which, if rumors are to be believed, a cut down TX GM200 core as the current 980 is full GM204 and they can't really improve on that chip anymore only really a clock speed boost which won't really do much. So its rumored the 980Ti will be a cut down version of the TITAN X with less double precision, less VRAM, but higher clock speeds.

3. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    The King of the Hill class of GPUs are very interesting, but i prefer just spent about 200-300€ and go a week to holidays with the money :D

500-700€ is to much for me.

960TI could be very sexy with 192bit, but this time i want AMD GPU because of Freesync Monitor.

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    June.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would stay away from the 960 they bottlenecked by the bandwidth.

If you want AMD and you want freesync then you have only the choice of R7 270X R9 290 or R9 290X (not too sure about the 280X or 285).

These are the only current GPU's that support freesync. All upcoming AMD GPU's will have freesync support.

You don't have to get an AMD R9 390X there will be standard 390, 380X, 380, 370X, 370, etc. They won't just release one card. But it may be a little longer wait for lower end models as they tend to release the big daddy first.

6. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    290/290x i don´t want 100%
    I have 3 friends in Teamspeak with this cards, 2 return it for RMA and 1 return it 2x. All 3 sold it after 970/980 release. For 290/290x i need a new PSU, too. That is no Option.

280/280x i don´t want, too.
    Its based on 7970 which release 2011 now we have 2015! and i´m afraid i have to miss a feature in near future because of old technology.

285 is OK for me, but i need 4GB Ram, rumors says the 4gb version is just available for Apple...

Now we come to Nvidia
    New generation is fine, but i don´t want G-Sync Monitor. Yes G-Sync is more liquid as Freesync, because it double or triple the Hz if is to low.

My problem with Nvidia, G-Sync Monitor is faulty (i m not sure if its just was Asus), the chance for RMA after 6 Month is very high. I don´t waste money on defective rubbish, but G-Sync Rev 2 is a option Nvidia already said they improve G-Sync, but until then its possibly 2017.

Looks like i have to play GTA with low details until AMD move their asss....

7. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    There will be a 4GB version of the 285. I don't know what it will be called but that's what it will be. This is almost certainly going to be the case and I would expect to know details as soon as AMD announce their new line-up. There was originally going to be a 4GB version of the 285 already. Anandtech had this confirmed from various OEMs. But it never materialized for some reason. I would guess that AMD didn't want to pre-empt their new line of cards or just didn't want to impact the sale of existing cards any worse than they already were. (AMD had a major problem with having too many of their current gen cards out there unsold which is probably the main reason announcement of the new line-up has taken so long).

Anyway, there will certainly be a 4GB version of the 285 and it should be announced soon. It might get called something like a 370X or something, but it will exist.

8. asarja

asarja Guest

GPU:
    R9 280
    AMD will probably launch the whole 3xx series in June - if you can wait until then, the HBM models (2 or 3, as the rumors indicate) will be interesting to look at.

9. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Thats great news.

10. mustrum

mustrum Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    You have to keep in mind that you might buy a 290x in the end anyways if AMD does a refresh. It will be matured and might clock higher though.

That being said i am very satisfied with my 290's. If cooled well these cards are still not bad.

In your case i would wait until June and check out the new lineup though.

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    No freaking way they can rehash the 290/290x, if they crank the clock speed even higher on those with no architectual difference they will be volcanoes.

12. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    I have a Antec Mini P180, believe me this Case can´t cooling a 290x.
    My PSU Be Quiet Straight Power 500Watt is to low, too.

For one 290x i need to exchange Case
    100€ Fractal Design Define R5
    ~80€ New PSU
    340€ Asus R9 290x

Then this 290x adventure cost me 520€ and the new case still have no fan, for the same money i get a 980 and i don´t need to replace something.

So I guess the 290x its not worth for me.

I hope the next Gen of AMD have something under 200Watt 4GB and the Power between 285-290 and i m happy.