Computer freezing while listen to music with HDMI.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Lightness, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    ASUS AMD R7 260x 2gb DDR5
    Hey there, people. How are you?

Well... After my frustration with the XFX AMD R7 260X 2GB DDR5 I bought a new graphics card. It's the same model as the previous one, but the manufacturer is ASUS.
    I got this new card for 2 days now. On the first day I tested by playing heavy games while Winamp was running on the background. But, today something happened. I went to the supermarket to buy some drinks and when I got back my PC was completely frozen, even the mouse pointer. I had to restart the PC with the RESET button!
    After that the PC froze 3 more times. Then i realized that the HDMI Audio Driver could have something to do with it.
    So I switched the main audio output from HDMI for the motherboard audio output.
    No issued occurred. Then I switched to HDMI audio output again and after 20 minutes my PC got completely frozen.
    Now, after a hard reset, my pc does not present any problem. I'm using the output of the motherboard again.
    What can I do but return the card to the store?
    Is there any fix or something?

So PLEASE any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Did you try disabling Realtek device when using HDMI audio?

3. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    How do I do that exactly?
    I did disabled the Realtek HD Audio with the regedit, but even my network card was disabled with this action.

4. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Right-click on sound icon in the lower right corner of the screen, click playback devices, right-click on realtek something and disable it. But i would say stick with Realtek unless you need hdmi for something particular, problems with hdmi audio are pretty common.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

5. maco07

maco07 Active Member

GPU:
    7970 3GB Boost
    You could disable your Realtek soundcard from BIOS.

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    ATI HDMI audio for will not work if the realtek driver is installed also

you can use the microsoft driver for the onboard but no enhancements sadly

7. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    Hello, friends.
    Sadly, none of that seems to work for me.
    I was using the onboard audio card, I left my room to search my printer's installation CD and when I get back my computer was completely frozen!
    No music was running on the background at the moment. The video card just froze up my whole pc. I had to do a restart with the reset button.

What do you guys means about disabling Realtek HD audio and using the Microsoft Audio just like Passus said?
    I did disabled my sound card and the network card stopped working as well.

I sent the video card back to the store and asked a RMA. They will test it before sending me another card or credit to buy another one.

I'm tired of the frustration that AMD has caused me. I'm switching to NVIDIA.

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    just uninstall the realtek drivers from the system control panel and install the ATI HDMI drivers from the new catalyst

go into the AMD folder in C:\AMD\amd cayalyst\packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMI\WB64A\ and intall the driver, then reboot and the audio should now work via HDMI

9. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    The audio from hdmi worked fine, but the video card frozen itself along with my pc. The audio didn't had anything to do with it in the end. The AMD R7 260x GPU chip is faulty. Just like I read on most forums on the Internet.

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    hopefully your RMA fixes the problem then mate

best of luck, for the record i cant get audio via HDMI no matter what i do on my 280x but im not bothered as i have a stereo connected the PC and some headphones with their own usb sound card

11. Dr451

Dr451 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte AMD R9 270X 2GB
    @Lightness reinstall drivers. PLS use display driver uninstaller.

12. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    I've already tried everything, Dr451:
    Reinstalled the drivers, disabled the audio card, uninstalled the Realtek drivers, I used the GURU3D uninstaller tool to do a fresh install.
    Nothing seemed to work.

Passu, it's weird because my old Saphire Radeon HD 6570 2gb works fine with the HDMI.
    I don't know what AMD did to this new GPU of theirs. It's the second 260x that I tested and have failed me. :(

13. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    Hi Lightness,

I had the same problem (Freezes of Death). RMA could not repair it, they did a pseudo repair, by changing a capacitor of the graphic card.
    An idea of the ASUS support was, a incompatibilty of RAM with the card. In my case Crucial Ballistix sport very low profile, 1.35 V. I dont know.

I found a workaround which works for now (but did not as the system was new!?)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5037614&postcount=37

So for me it is definitely a clock/power saving related problem of the graphic card.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    apparently windows routes the hdmi audio over the realtek audio bus when a realtek driver is present which makes it incompatible with the ATI hdmi driver even if it's installed,

i wonder to be honest who should actually fix this, realtek or microsoft or more likely AMD?

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    you could do that with MSI afterburner, enable unofficial overclocking without powerplay support in the settings which makes the card run at max clocks, then create custom clocks for different scenarios like browsing, simple gaming or HD video ect

16. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    i have found a way to use the ATI hdmi driver with the realtek 2.75 drivers installed but i have only tried it on windows 10 at the moment but as its an older hdmi driver it should work ok on earlier versions of windows.

1) uninstall any realtek audio drivers you have installed
    2) download ccleaner and run then click registry and clean
    3) restart PC then install the realtek 2.75 drivers 32bit or 64bit depending on your system
    4) restart PC again and then install the ATI hdmi 2.70 from realtek website http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Langid=1&Level=4&PFid=24&PNid=14
    4) finally restart again and then sound should work via hdmi no problem

:)

17. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5

Hi.

thanx, for the hint. Well, I am quite fine with the first stable solution for now. GPUtweak is quiet convenient.

I am using Realtek 6.0.1.7004 and AMD hdmi driver, by the way.
    AMD hdmi installed via device manager,

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  18. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    mine is latest 2.75 realtek and 2.70 ATI hdmi

the hdmi driver can be installed normally without the need for installing via device manager

19. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    yes, but with the catalyst installer the HDMI drivers got not installed now and then, why I don't know.
    R2.75 brought rather problems for me, then benefits.

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    i dont use the drivers from the catalyst installer they are a standalone installer from realtek not AMD

the driver inside the catalyst package does not work no matter what i do