AMD and Nvidia prep for next-gen DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I remember seeing a slide not to long ago that indicates Maxwell is DX12 (tier 2 which was upgraded from tier 1) and all GCN supports DX12 tier 3 (hardware) most likely due to the optimisations from Mantle having close ties with DX12. Intel Iris iGPU supports DX12 tier 2

2. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    I hope my 780ti can last to Pascal release .....sure we will have at that time DX12.number

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You sure, i am positive i was dropping DVD into Windows XP and Windows 7 and they play right away, i could have sworn window players played DVDs by default.

But i could be wrong, its been a while since a played a DVD on the PC.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    780ti is a great card, it'll last easily (hardware willing of course)

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    There's no "DX12 Tier 3", some features have tiers, but not DX12.
    Maxwell Gen 2 is DX12, FL12_1 and Resource Binding Tier 2. Conservative Rasterization Tier is probably 1, Tiled Resources Tier is probably 2 and Typed UAV Tier is probably 1. Rest of feature x tiers is unknown for Maxwell Gen 2.
    Also, make sure you separate Maxwell Gen 1 and Gen 2 when you talk about Maxwells, they have radically different feature sets.

GCN's are DX12, unknown FL (it's either 11_1 or 12_0, and it could be GCN1.0 = 11_1, GCN 1.1/1.2 = 12_0) and Resource Binding Tier 3. Rest of feature x tiers is unknown at the moment.
    For GCN 1.1 and 1.2 Tiled Resources Tier should be 2 (like it's in DX11.1) and Typed UAV Tier should be at minimum Tier 1 since they've been ahead of NVIDIA on UAV support (as seen from DX11.1/FL11_1)
    For GCN 1.3 / Fiji it should be DX12, FL 12_1 and all feature tiers at max

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I think XP gained that with Media Center edition later on.
    Vista and 7 included Media Center and thus DVD support
    Win 8 had Media Center as add-on which you could purchase (though it was free for limited time offer)

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There is no Direct X 11.3.

8. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Even if the OS kernel changes were not a critical showstopper, Microsoft had to pull the plug on backporting WDDM 1.2 to Windows 7 for quite silly reasons like 3rd-party notebook drivers going ballistic with the Direct3D 11.1 runtime querying for new capabilities...

DXGI/WDDM was engineered to be independent of the OS kernel to a large extent. The problem has much more to do with testing, support and software compatibility in general.

I guess Microsoft learned it the hard way: it's too much hassle to backport isolated OS components to previous versions when you can't really update other components which you rely upon for the best performance. You get an unsupportable soup of different components that might or might not work together. Doing a full "service pack" type update or a full OS upgrade is a much preferred way to introduce such significant changes.

Direct3D 11.3 requires WDDM 2.0, so it's Windows 10 only. If Microsoft are essentially retiring Windows 7/8.x with their free Windows 10 upgrade offer, why would they bother to make significant updates to Window 8.x anymore?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Which if you use Windows for Business solutions, you must be an Active Software Assurance Customer.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was referring to several posts in this thread where guys typed "DX" with "11.3"

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    2 new instructions underlined in quote,. Nothing major though, ok except Maxwell voxel GI since its software by GK1xx and GF1xx.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5034295&postcount=74

12. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    " yes that is GeForce series 400 and above."

Whaaaat? My little old 470 will work with DX12 ? :wanker:

That's awesome news. I'm building a haswell system right now and cant really afford a new card until this fall.

13. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    you are just plain dumb if microsoft was put the people first they let you have dx 12 on windows 7 windows 8 and 10 are full of apps and crap thats why 8 never sold well i would prefer to keep windows 7 but i moved to pc from console gaming coz of the better graphics and performance so dx 12 i want it especially if the sli benefits are as good as there saying so having direct x 12 on windows 10 is basically a way to force u to switch to it from win 7 even if u dont want too

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I can see it now, M$ is to become like EA. Win 10 will be like a BF game. You'll get the main OS for free(upgrade) but then when new features come out M$ will give you the option to buy it for a few $.

All of a sudden there will be many "new features" for the people to pick from.

Hilberts not wrong in his assessment about M$ and money. They are being very slippery atm with details on how they will be making money. That worries me. Never once have they explained how this business model is going to work.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    While looking forward to DX12, I too have some concerns about Windows 10, but we'll see how that works out. If they get the gaming boost right, I might close my eyes on other possible issues.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You just explained how it could work. The other way is how google operates with Android.

I guess my question is here is what does everyone expect? Microsoft to just continue the course while all these other players just eat up their marketshare? More and more of my friends/family aren't even buying PC's anymore. They just using iPads and phones to do 99.9% of their daily computing stuff.

Google and Apple just keep chipping away. Microsoft needs to innovate or they die, just like Blackberry.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am most interested in in how this all ends up. and probably only reason i care about win10 atm considering what i been hearing about last few tech builds

18. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    There is the issue of Windows 10 making Secure Boot mandatory thus locking out any other OS's like Linux etc although this can still be disabled on most desktop systems it will still affect a lot of laptop users, not really an issue for me as I don't dual boot but it's something to note.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is always some drawback.

I dont dual boot and even if i did it would probably some OS of windows, simply cause if i want to game on pc I really have no choice.

I would to see what DX12 HW the 2 release, spec wise

20. NuttyProcessor

NuttyProcessor Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Advantages for dx11 games

I'm wondering if there will be any advantages with the new API for games already released like Metro and crysis series? Or only with new DX12 ready games? And, what optimized game performance will there be when using Windows 10 playing a dx11 game, any news on that? ( i mean, besides the new api, like the 15% FPS difference between win 7 and 8 in BF4 for instance)

Its nice to see support for older series like the 'Fermi' (Thermi anyone?). But how is that relevant for dx12 games only. These cards are already out of date, so i'm not expecting great performance in 'yet to be announced' AAA games.

And, is there a difference between a GTX480 and a GTX970 in DX12 capabilities?