Review: AMD FreeSync With the Acer XG270HU Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review AMD FreeSync with a 499 EURO costing FreeSync compatible Acer (27-inch 2560x1440p - 144Hz) screen. Following NVIDIAs GSync AMD took a different approach, no more tearing and sync ...

Review: AMD FreeSync With the Acer XG270HU Monitor

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Thanks for the review; this is going to be a fun read.

3. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    So what would I set for the best experience with FreeSync exactly?

1. FreeSync on, okay but
    2. VSync on or off?
    3. Framerate Limiter on or off?

4. The Catalyst link points to Forceware driver? Is this sarcasm?

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Great review, thank you! :)

6. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070 JS OC
    prices will come down fast. Realistically the FreeSync ACER monitor we use today in this review, is 2560x1140 / 144 Hz / FreeSync. It's a TN, but at 499 EURO not a very expensive one.

Shouldn't it be 1440?

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, what page was that ?

NVM found it, thanks.

8. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    This thing solves one of the biggest problems i had with PC gaming.Stuttering that occurs with vsync-on when my games drop below 60hz is just annoying as hell for me. Some games just can't be played at all. Will look forward to one of these surely when the prices go down a bit. Only thing that's kinda lame is that AMD card is needed atm and i don't like them that much. Hopefully NV will support it as well in the future

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Funny you're saying it comes with price premium. Sure, we have only limited selection to compare at the moment, but at least LG's ultrawide 34UM67 is actually even cheaper than 34UM65, which is equivalent in terms of specs, except that it doesn't support FreeSync

10. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Nice review HH, we've been waiting for this one for a long time.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 175W
    That price tag is very attractive!

12. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Is there any visible difference, between anything over 80 Hz with FreeSync enabled? 120/144 Hz frequency was invented, because of shuttering, but with FreeSync/G Sync there is no shuttering, if I am not wrong.

13. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    the drivers are pritty nice no problems so far now need a new monitor to take full advantage lol

14. koliko

koliko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti
    Well explained article.
    At CES 2015 was ASUS MG279Q (2560x1440 IPS 120 Hz) confirmed as Variable Refresh Monitor. If that means Freesync, i am droping Nvidia this year for sure.

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Nvidia making everything proprietary and expensive is pushing me in AMD's direction I cant wait to see what the 390x can do with this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NVidia has G-Sync. That's what they want all of their users to buy into. That way you're locked into their hardware.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If/when Intel decides to support Adaptive Sync, G-sync is screwed. For a technology that makes such a minimal difference, nvidia really screwed themselves over by making g-sync proprietary. I'm just surprised AMD wasn't the first to release something like this, since they already had a very similar technology for their mobile GPUs for a long time.

18. Technically, nothing prevents this monitor to work with nVidia or Intel GPU/CPU's.

I am very positive that Intel will adopt Adaptive/dynamic sync as soon as possible, for nVidia, I'm sure they will try to keep pushing G-Sync as long as possible, but, they will adopt VESA standard and simply name it G-Sync (but without special hardware). Since that is open standard, everyone can name it as needed/wanted.

AMD did it right once again, put the technology into Display manufactutrers hand, and you will see boom (because if more competition), therefore, faster developement and adoption. As Hilbert said, in 10 years from now, there should be no monitors with static refresh rates in 90+% of users, and this will be great for mobile (Android etc.) phones, and probably adopted quite fast.

PS: Thee are a lot of typos in article, on one page, it is even stated G-Sync instead of Adaptive/Free sync (can't remember now, it is on the top page, first paragraph, picture bellow, last sentence i think).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    where in heck are the drivers

20. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    This monitor has convinced me to take a serious look at AMD... The reason being, Nvidia's proprietary hardware, and the price premium for G-sync.. If the 390x can compete (actual verified performance) with the Titan X, then my choice will be clear...