Titan X or Add another 980 for SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tpeter, Mar 14, 2015.

1. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980
    Currently have a GTX980 and just bought a Dell 34in ultra wide. In Dragon Age at ultra settings i can go as low as 20FPS at 3440x1440p and its pissing me off. So i was about to order another 980 for SLI and now i see all this Titan Hype.

I'm leaning more towards the 2x 980 because my total in the cards would be 1069 with tax and ship Vs 1000 to 1349 for the Titan and as far as benches 2x980s are out performing 1 Titan.

I don't plan on going 4k anytime soon so I would think the SLI configuration would last me a few years with my 3440x1440p games.

thoughts?

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would not trust any of those benches. Lots of times they are fake. 2 980 would be an awsome addition. doubt any single gpu maxwell titan would come close to it.

3. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980
    that's my thoughts exactly...

I just spent a fortune on all this new gear and was aggravated seeing 20-30fps on DA:i. So another 500 ill be good for years i think.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd wait and see what Titan has to offer, as TK stated I'd not pay any attention to leaked benchmarks. You can't go wrong with a second 980 though, it's a great combo.

5. Kaapstad

Kaapstad Guest

GPU:
    4 x Titan X
    Second GTX 980

6. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980
    second 980 it is!

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You will love 980 sli, I been enjoying 970 sli performance about 16 months now with my cards.

8. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Loving my SLI 980 setup atm.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    20-30 FPS in DAI? What settings are you using?

No matter how powerful your hardware is, it's always possible to bring it to it's knees by using nonsensical or excessive settings, ie too much MSAA or too much DSR.

I have GTX 980 SLI and I'm getting constant 60 FPS at max settings with 2x MSAA at 1440p..

I could easily make my FPS plummet though by setting DSR to 2x and MSAA to 4x..

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I went for double sli 980s instead of waiting for the Titan. Can't say I regret it now, only that 980Ti 6GB could make me feel any remorse, depending on the price tbh.

11. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980
    I took MSAA to 2x and with all else on Ultra I get 20-30 in areas. Its the 3440x1440. if I change my resolution to 2560x1440 I get max FPS just about.. This extra real estate punished my card..

in my NVidia control panel I noticed DSR is off.. I left everything in there factory defaults.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Oh that explains it then. Yeah, you definitely need SLI for running at that resolution..

13. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    My mate just got a second 980, and they seem to scale really well. It's made me want a second one. I play at 2560x1440 so I think for me a second one would be awesome. I've never had SLI as I worry about problems, but my mate has only had good things to say, so I might get a second one. Sorry for hijacking the thread, although I'd never get a titan I'm in a similar situation.

Do you think the 980 will get a price drop when AMD release the 300x series? I remember the 780 getting a price drop which made me buy one, so I'm hoping that happens again, especially if AMD bring out really competitive cards.
    I won't be buying a new CPU for a while, so the only thing I can upgrade is adding a second card, especially with that MSI bridge which would go really well with my black & red theme Corsair 780T case.

14. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    i would think so but probably not that much of a price cut. last time i checked, the 980 prices actually went up a bit since Feb. Like my card, I got it back in Jan. for $549, i checked on the same retailer few weeks ago, shot up to $589.

15. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I paid £430 for my Twin Frozr 980 which I thought was pretty good, I then got a 970 free from MSI after my 780 had a problem with the fans. That shocked me, I thought they'd just replace the fan, it was the perfect time as it came on my brothers birthday, so I gave him it. I'm far too nice.

Think I will get a second 980 with or without a price drop, first of all I'm saving to go watch F1 in Spa Belgium with a mate, perfect trip for my new VW Golf:banana:

16. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980
    I got a killer deal on mine at Newegg for 504 shipped with coupon code.. Same card is now 569 plus ship... Ill prolly order tonight and just eat the extra 70 as who knows if a deal will come along again..

Ive never done SLI before either so ill be You-tubing videos on how to install and do correctly.

17. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    SLI is not hard. You plug the card into your PCI-E slot, plug the power connectors in, snap the SLI bridge on, boot up, and enable SLI in the nvidia control panel. It's a very simple process. If you update your nvidia drivers down the road, you may have to reenable SLI (assuming the control panels settings are reset). You'll do just fine.

18. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    If i were u wait, on that resolution 4gb vram could be a problem specially with MSAA technology just saying.
    Titan X probably going to be the correct version of the pretty failed Titan Black.

I even maybe sell my GTX 980 sli,s if the Titan X is going to be a huge difference in performance vram wise.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  19. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980

Well I ordered this morning from newegg. I paid for overnight but their dumb email says 1-2 processing. That thing better ship today..

Now thinking about it though , isn't the Titan announced or released tomorrow?

If it ends up being a true monster and better than the 2 sli , I'll sell these on eBay. But hoping im good to go for a while .

20. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Must just be me but I rarely use MSAA at 2560x1440p. Also many games just cache things and fill up the Vram, so I don't think 4GB is a limiting factor, although I've seen people argue about this subject so I won't say anymore. When ever games start using DX12 you'll be able to use the full Vram of each card anyway. I know DX11 took ages for many games to support, but I feel it'll be different this time.
    Hope you enjoy SLI tpeter, hopefully it won't be too long until I can get a second 980.