AMD unofficially confirms Radeon Flagship - R9 390X - Launches at Computex

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    chew on this wise old fish

http://abload.de/img/bnqjyga5qu5l.png

2. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    Been hearing the line "hardware upgrades for Witcher 3" since they announced the whole game, so the timing for these new cards is really beyond bad. Although, there is money for new cards after lurking the monsters for that month, or two.. :D

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im pretty sure Witcher3 will be ok with a single high-end gpu atm, well it doesnt look anything special that needs extra horsepower, expect maybe compute fur..

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Looking forward to seeing benches of this card on paper it looks like the equivalent of a 7990

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    It was happening 30 years ago regarding multiple gaming magazines (very important at one time) on multiple formats. Its never going to change.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    But does it fit in a 2,5-liter Steam Box?

Oh wait no, it's water cooled...

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    You guys realize that nvidia's upgrade to 12gb of ram is related to HBM memory from AMD, right?
    In 4k 390x will be a killer, titan x had to have such amount of ram to compete.
    That amount of ram will push the price so high for titan x that most of you fan boys won't be able to afford it.
    This two GPU's are meant for 4k gaming, and i'm 100% sure 390x will beat the titan x in 90% of games, in 4k with or without AA.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I think most people know that considering 99.9% of the complaints about the 980 was the memory bandwidth/amount @ 4K gaming. I think most people also realize that 12GB is completely unnecessary and will have no effect aside from added cost over 8GB.

HBM is really good because of the bandwidth, power reduction and memory controller size reduction, not so much because of how much there is. Nvidia won't get it on a card until Pascal though.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think Titan X will have 12GB for 2 reasons:
    - 1st - some of mathematical applications which this will be used may have very large data sets and 6GB for scientific applications may not be enough
    - 2nd - to differentiate Titan X price from 6GB full GM200 card

I agree that gtx 980 is not meant for 4k, but even at 1440p it is great card.
    I personally want r9-390x for my 1080p @120Hz/new Freesync 1440p @144Hz and/or before end of year for one of VR headsets.
    (No clue which I'll pick right now, but Valve's looks bit more accurate now and gives more freedom of movement. And I believe HTC has quite some experience in pieces needed to have it working.)

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean previous generation Titan's were targeted at compute applications and stuff too -- I'm speaking more from a gaming perspective.

When the 390 launches I'll also consider switching. My 980 was a sidegrade/slight upgrade from my 690. I just wanted to get off SLI.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Will the memory solutions from both sides not push the price up?

Nvidia will likely get the Titan X out first so they can pick their own pricing, I have no idea which one will be faster, both sides seem confident of being top.

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well, first case, the problem will lay on what type of mathematical case.. if they need FP64 precision and rumor is true, then the 12GB will not serve too much.

The second problem is for thoses incredibly high amount of data, peoples tend to rely to complete pro solutions, because, they can afford an error somewhere in the process.

bandwith / Memory capacity are a bit of a complex thing on professional software..

I could think to Raytracing who use FP32, but raytracing dont eat really much memory than that or for extremely large project, but there you want use server computing farm anyway, because it will be the processing power who will be a problem. . ( I use Luxrender for Blender mainly ( Luxcore API 2.x OpenCL Path, so for me Nvidia is not an option at all.. ( too slow on OpenCL ) ..

The problem again, for raytracing, is if you could get 2x 990TI GM200 for the same price... and the only difference is on the memory stack.. i dont know what to think about it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
  14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
  15. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    just read on a computer site through facebook that the cards have been delayed... honestly forgot the name of site and which month they are coming think it was June

16. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  17. chuuey

chuuey Guest

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I call that article BS.

You know, having 4GB vram with 512GB/s bandwidth is super thing.
    But going for 8GB with 1024GB/s and 8 memory bricks would require quite some more transistors on GPU and what for that bandwidth?
    Complete waste or GPU strong enough to crush SLI Titan X.

It is quite more probable that if AMD waits for something it is 8stack HBM to have same interface width but double capacity.
    That would be quite OK to have 8GB with 512GB/s. Tho HBM document stated that more stacks may mean higher bandwidth.

8 memory chips would be just crazy.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very interesting makes me wonder how much more money is going to be added on to the price of the card since it is going to be 8gb. Right now there is a $50-100+ difference between a 4gb r9 290x and a 8gb version depending on the manufacturer of the card.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Can't wait, if it is 8GB :p

The cheaper TITAN X will be wheeled out as well when this is though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015