GeForce GTX TITAN-X 3DMark Benchmarks Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2015.

1. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I cant speak for crossfire but ive owned apu's and currently own a hd 6670 and ive never ever had a problem other then when i ran the two together frame times where terrible.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am looking forward for new AMD drivers, but only for new features (vsr on older cards, freesync support for newer) and not for fixes since I need none atm.

Dummies calling r9-390x hot before they get their hands on it are just dummies not realizing that their 970/980 is only 5 billion transistor chip and Titan X is 8 billion one + 50% wider memory buss and therefore 50% more memory chips.
    It for sure will be 300W card, those who will OC it as usual will have 450W+ card, and they'll not complain about that.

Heat haters should crawl under their cold rocks.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    because it was cheap and because lot of people were positive i had bought a HD 7950... one of my worse idea, the card is in a box since more or less one year right now and even at 50€ no one want it.

the card is great... on linux with not AMD driver (or in a mac a friend have nice result on mac).

on Windows the drivers **** everything:
    -bug with open gl and cl (wich is inacceptable as AMD promote those)
    -catastrophic shader use
    - etc etc...

of course for the price you have power (the GPU and design is not in cause)... but due to driver next time i would bough lower NVidia instead.

4. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Pixel fill rate is same as Northern Islands series, this is what I look at most (with everything else).

Titan X Uses 258 watts so looks like I am getting a 980 for my 380watt PSU, hehehe. Should wait for Titan Y, that might be under 200W.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Good luck moving from 151W GPU which power draw is stable to gtx 980 which draws 190W in average and has huge spikes up and down as power is needed.
    New AMD GPUs will have similar inter-frame power saving features, but that really creates power draw spikes and requires that much better PSU.

6. lantian

lantian Guest

ROFL, you do realize it's impossible for that card to draw a single watt more than 300 form those power connections, it only has a single 6pin and a nother 8 pin connection, adding in the power that pcie itself can deliver to the card and the max is even lower than 300w, 450w oc please gtfo:bang:

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    oh dear, get your flame hat on because you're about to get burned!

:007:

8. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Hell yeh! instant buy if that came out! :nerd:

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Tell us story about place where those extra watts came from:
    [​IMG]
    But maybe you can ask some Titan owners here who run it @ 1.3/1.4V.
    And maybe you can look at elementary physics like P = U * I.
    And if you think that Work done (P) stays same, then increasing voltage would result in lower current.
    Therefore those manufacturers should increase voltage since they would not increase power consumption/heat at same time but GPUs would be stable at much higher clock.
    But there is that magical P = R * I^2.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No heat issues on amd unless you go for reference 290x and 290. 390x seems to be using 295x2 cooler so it won't generate heat whatsoever vs 295x2 that was a cool card.

11. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I've seen some new benchies on the german site computerbase.de

VERY interesting compared to the Titan Z. Performance is almost identical with the Titan X slightly ahead. The difference in power draw is huge however, no wonder, since the Z is a dual GPU part.

12. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    heat generated is related to efficiency of power consumed not cooling solution. however, a cooler component may draw less power since it's resistance is lower.

just saying.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah....i reckon there all gonna be reference though i think. So then Chris are you getting one of these Titan X's?

If NDA is lifted on 17th then they could be on sale a day or 2 after which is literally 1 week away.....i will be taking my cash card into work with me and making sure i get at least one of these the moment the online stores list them to be sold! :D

14. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    GTX980 uses 180W exactly, so does GTX980scACX2 as it is also reference with BIOS configured for 180W. There is a German site that tests it.

Are you referring to tests similar to what Tom did? TomsHardware is wrong on 2 levels..
    1/ They did not have the correct BIOS in the reference card they tested.
    Even then with the wrong bios the amps spike at 24 amps (from 15Amps average). When they fixed it it was 180W instead of 250W, but the pictures are still wrong.
    2/ They measure the slot using a riser card, so you don't see the Amp draw on the PSU for that bit, just what is being requested from the MB. The MB will level it out a bit. The PSU probably levels it out a bit as well.

380D is well made, mostly the 500watt psu specced at 380, which probably makes it even safer.. It will cut off somewhere between 25 and 30 amps on each rail and combined run over 400 watts on both rails, my CPU uses 102 watts thrashed and the 6 SSD's use nothing much. I could probably run a Titan X as well at 21.5Amps, and I would not call that too risky either... if it was too much in fur or something the PSU would just switch off, and I would have to get a new one I suppose, if I wanted to run fur all day, which I don't, anyway it would be fine. I have a watt meter on the wall, so it will be fun.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then Again, Good Luck. If it burns at any time, do not RMA as you have been warned.

16. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Call me Captain Risky, ahaha

I got out the watt meter (probably a margin for error of 2 watts assumed efficiency of .85). It agreed with the watts meter on the UPS anyway.

Fur 200W (235W at wall)
    Fur+Prime 294W (347W at wall)

break it down....
    CPU (@3.8G) 12W idle, 105W Max (14W-124W at wall) (passively cooled 44*C-88*C)
    GPU (6870OC) 20.5W idle, 151W Max (24W-180W at wall)
    can calculate MB....
    MB 34 idle, 36.5 Max (probably the idle GPUs are actually using the 2.5W sometimes) (so 40W-43W max at wall) (I removed the GPU to test MB, it includes iGPU)

GTX980 OC Reference Board, 12W idle, 180W Max
    So a GTX980 will make my PC 325W (382W at wall) with Fur+Prime. First time I tried Fur+Prime, rofl. idle will be 58Watts.. hell yeah!

I suppose if I ran iGPU hard at the same time as Fur+Prime, it would push it more, but that is pointless... still I will probably try, lol.

p.s. "at wall" does not really matter, it is input that is rated. Also, The PFC unused power just goes back to the grid (don't get charged in Australia, I think).

A Titan X assuming it uses all 300Watts would use 443 (521 at wall), so my PSU will switch off, which is why I am annoyed.... it would be dodgy OK as long as I did not thrash it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder why people always try to cut on PSUs, but spend big money on the GPU... wait a month longer and make it work properly, with a big enough PSU.

18. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    It is more the quality, not the brand. You can tell by looking inside.

My big fancy PSU started to blow up, it could not handle low power and sleep properly, this is just my spare. When I looked in the 380D to find the fan thermostat, it was real nice inside. The rails are also good and the workmanship is amazing. It perked my interest, so I read up on it last week and it looked cool so decided not to get a bigger one. The AnandTech review for it also contains wrong information about 12V Amps, but then they don't want you to buy it, they want you to get 1000W, lol.

The only bad thing about the 380D is the fan thermostat is glued to the heatsink with gunk, so I can't move it to make it slightly quieter. (and one of the cap types is 85*C instead of 105*C).

If it is quality and worth $45 (mine was free), you can spend the extra on a good UPS which is more important. A UPS is better than a million dollar 1200Watt junk PSU.

Actually, I will probably get a fanless PSU as my PC is almost passive, but I am in no hurry. The other reason the PSU size don't matter is they will keep dropping the watts in coming years as things get smaller and smaller. I also don't consider it sensible to upgrade to sli when next gen gets better each 4 years, it is easier to just swap single GPUs (and sli is a headache).

p.s. I should have said earlier "at wall" input does not matter as the rating is the output. I always confuse PFC with efficiency, lol. So the output is the max load (first figures I mention on each line), sorry for the confusion (I fixed it above).

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And you know components degrade over time, even the best ones? Because I've got to say I share Fox's opinion, do what you want, but then don't wonder if something goes wrong or your system has glitches / crashes because of too little power. Just sayin'.

20. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    As I showed it will probably use 200W or so gaming. 325W if I thrash it once every 2 years, which is perfectly fine. In 4 years the whole lot gets replaced.

It is actually more dangerous to have a big underused PSU, as it won't detect a short starting until it gets to 40 or 50 Amps or whatever the big PSU allows. A small PSU won't really have enough amps to cause a big failure. Most of the "wisdom" on the internet is wrong. See yours is 55Amps probably OCP 65Amps or something, which is maybe a potential fire hazard being over 40Amps... Just sayin'

Anyway this is a Titan X thread and I was comparing 980 to Titan X, so I better stay on topic.