Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 - Thoughts on Haswell compatibility?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 8IronBob, Mar 7, 2015.

1. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Okay, so I was looking to see what aftermarket cooler would be the best bang for the buck for a Haswell/Devil's Canyon-based CPU. I was looking on Newegg, and it seems that I saw one that looked like "this could be a good bang for the buck to me, especially if it's used in a NZXT Phantom 630." I'm kind of wondering if anyone else had experience cooling with these on Intel's most recent CPUs, and how the compatibility would be, and if it lives up to its expectations.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It might work for Haswell or Devil's Canyon at stock clocks, but it's not going to work well enough if you overclock. The cooler was not designed for what's currently on the market. The TDP for the newer processors is very misleading once you begin to overclock.

3. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Ahh all right, I see that. I was looking at it because it seems to match the same fan styling as the Phantom 630 case, but other than that, I'll certainly see what else is on the market that might match up in design.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i would look to spend a little more unless your planning on keeping it at stock speeds.

Saying that i use the Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 and it does a great job with my 2600k even at 4.5ghz, but some people have told me Haswell runs a little hotter when you overclock.

My mate swears by the Coolermaster Hyper 212 but he also has a large case.
    http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/#

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

5. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    This is true... I was looking to see what would fit inside of a Phantom 630, and not look too overly tacky in it. Now I know that Noctua would also come to mind, but those ugly brown fans seem to be a turnoff. Plus it seems that Newegg can hardly keep the CM Hyper 212s in stock. Plus trying to find a HSF that'll allow room comfortably for Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM would be another trick.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  7. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Seems nice. How would that compare to the 212 Evo, though?

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  9. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC