BF4 - R9 290, DX or Mantle

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Deleted member 114840, Oct 6, 2014.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No. Capping the FPS anywhere below the refresh rate IS bad advice. The solution is to get a G-Sync / FreeSync monitor once they become available and change out your GPUs if you want low input lag and no tearing.

2. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    ok was just trying to help. At least you can try and see if it helps.

Also can people just explain to me the hitching you guys talk about. is it like Frame drop to let's say for example 30FPS every +-2 sec cause I don't see any of that on my system running 95FPS @ 96hz Vsynced. Maybe show me example youtube video of hitching.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No hitching.
    And 59fps MIGHT give you a hitch with 60Hz Vsync Double Buffered. Not with Triple Buffering. yasamoka is wrong in that segment.

Of course the solution to input lag is more Hz, or even better Gsync/FS

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    triple buffering should actually reduce lag over straight vsync.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Possibly. Especially if you can not maintain 60fps.

But in practice the exact opposite is a common occurrence.
    And anyone can feel this in Source games; it's that obvious.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Well...

How can you hold 59FPS @ 60Hz with Vsync on without Triple Buffering? Of course I'm referring to the situation where you run 60Hz, Vsync on, TB on, and 59FPS cap. Double buffering would bring down FPS to 30FPS which shifts the discussion entirely.

I don't know how I can be wrong when every time I cap my FPS at 59FPS @ 60Hz I get a hitch once every second exactly, like a heartbeat. You think I'm hallucinating? I haven't had any lately I'm afraid.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well yeah... actually you can't :D

Much of the confusion comes from that Toms article that brought the notion of Triple B. reduces lag, and this is simply not always the case.
    Of course if you're under 60fps and Double B. Vsync., you are at 30fps as you've noticed. 30fps which sucks and its intuitive that the lag is bigger than at 55fps Tripple B.

Remember Skyrim?
    You had to limit at 59fps (both nv and amd) to get rid of the terrible lag.
    Anyway I am not going to insist on anything, because much of this is on per game basis and configuration specific.
    It's like when someone asks "whats the best AA" - it depends.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I can totally agree with that.

That article talked about true Triple Buffering. What developers use is the Flip Queue and falsely call it Triple Buffering. Flip Queues add lag, Triple Buffering reduces lag. Most games implement the former and few implement the latter. If Source engine games get reduced lag due to Triple Buffering, it's because they are using true Triple Buffering.

It seems that the framerate cap does something to push the Flip Queue down so that the lag added by holding so many frames in a buffer is reduced when VSync is on. Usually, global framerate caps add lag as they're pushing the rendering pipeline back from outside of the game.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Have you tried turning off frame pacing. I remembered something like that. are you getting that in all games or just bf4?

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Any game I've tried, with any configuration, gets me that hitch every second. It's not an issue with my system. How do you sync 59 frames to 60 refreshes? You repeat one of the frames. That's where the hitch comes from.

11. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    please can you upload a video to youtube to explain this issue or at least shows us the issue so we can understand more about this. I just played resident evil revelation 2 episode 2 yesterday at 95FPS vsynced to 96Hz and no hitching whatsoever. so there must be something wrong there. We really trying to help you out dude.

Even on another pc that runs a 1080p panel I play on 59fps vsynced to 60hz and no hitching whatsoever.

What connection do you use. If it's HDMI try DVI and see if it works better.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Please stop helping me troubleshoot. It's pointless trying to explain.

13. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    ok dude. just trying to help out but if you don't want help then so be it. I'm not saying you lying but I just want to know what it looks like cause i had similar issue before but now it's gone

14. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    What would you guys recomend setting for my hardware in specs with Hans HZ281 (res 1900 x 1200) not got the head for these kind of things.

Thank you.

15. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    I ran the same resolution on a 7850 and I was able to manage a mix of medium-high settings, but no AA or resolution scaling. I guess it depends if you want 60fps or if you are ok with 30-40. Its up to you - what eyecandy you want and what feels ok performance-wise.

Id recommend starting at everything on medium and try a few options at high, probably leaving textures and meshes at medium. I would at least try to get it running with lighting at high quality. The test range makes a good first-try with settings before you jump into a server.

If you want to see your framerate, hit the tilde key (~) to open the console and type:

perfoverlay.drawfps true

There is also a performance graph that shows the cpu and gpu times used per-frame:

perfoverlay.drawgraph true

16. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    thank you haz_mat