NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks for this :)

2. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    increasing post count

3. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
  4. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The posted configuration is correct. I made that change without adding the reference. THough i'm pretty sure I did..

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  7. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Thank you!

8. Ruiken

Ruiken Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I can't get any better AA to work in Dragonball Xenoverse

I've read through all the posts relevant to Dragonball Xenoverse but I can't get any noticable difference to the anti-aliasing in-game, what am I doing wrong with Nvidia Inspector? I've added the DBXV.exe to this profile:[​IMG]

I play in windowed mode to avoid the vsync no ki/particle effects bug, so I can't use DSR to get better smoothing.

What am I doing wrong?

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    You need to force 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA for SGSSAA to work :)
    Simply set "Antialiasing - Setting" to "4x [4x Multisampling]", and you are done.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  10. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Forcing SGSSAA is breaking the outline shader for me.

See here:

http://i.imgur.com/HnrECmG.jpg

Here are my settings:

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here?

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    You are forcing ambient occlusion without an AO flag for one :)
    Set "Ambient Occlusion compatibility" to "0x0000002F".

Also make sure to set "Antialiasing fix" to "On".

12. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I've disabled the AO anyways.

So I turned on anti-aliasing fix. The outline shader is still broken though :(

Maybe it's a drivers issue. I'm still on 344.65

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    "0x000000C0" should be enough for SGSSAA in Revelations :)
    I also think you are over complicating things a little regarding the TF2 AA fix.

In most recent DX9 engines this fix is needed to prevent visual distortions, white line issues etc.
    In my opinion it is much easier to just enable the AA fix globally, and then disable it on a game by game basis.
    Since this doesn't affect DX10 or DX11 games in any way, there is no real reason not to do so.

BTW today I added a global driver profile "recommended" settings to my master thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4908843&postcount=1

I will then just make a note of when the AA fix is NOT recommended under the respective AA categories.
    Much simpler IMO

14. Ruiken

Ruiken Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks, I've done that though still nothing is changed in-game, what else could I have done wrong? is the .exe wrong or something silly? I'm not getting any results whatsoever

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Try running in fullscreen (16:9 resolution), and force vsync off through the driver profile.

16. NotAgOat

NotAgOat Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 690 4gb
    Does anyone have an ideas for SLI and AA bits for Unreal Tournament [2014] (UE4)?

17. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Found a solution to my problem.

SGSSAA is not compatible with ReShade. When I turned on SGSSAA without ReShade, it worked great. But with ReShade, it breaks :(

18. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    Here are the bits for high quality "smooth" MSAA in Dragonball Xenoverse:

0x004432C0
    +
    AA Fix

[​IMG]

Notably these bits eliminate the annoying floor tile lod aliasing in the hub when used with 4x MSAA or higher, which even SGSSAA and OGSSAA are unable to eliminate. I highly recommend disabling in-game FXAA when using 4x or 8x MSAA for optimal quality. On the other hand, the weaker 2x MSAA benefits greatly from being used together with the in-game FXAA.

Comparison:
    no AA | in-game FXAA | 2x MSAA | 2x MSAA + in-game FXAA | 4x MSAA | 8x MSAA

These bits are very expensive performance wise at 4x MSAA and above, but the quality makes it worth it.
    With my GTX 770 at 1080p, 8x MSAA = unplayable, 4x MSAA = ~30-60fps, 2x MSAA + FXAA = ~90-120fps.

Xenoverse Framerate Bug (Possible Solutions):

There is currently a known issue with Xenoverse graphics engine which can cause ki blasts, auras, portals, and similar effects to be seen through solid objects. The exact trigger is unclear, but it seems to have a chance to occur whenever your in-game FPS is >30fps. DIMPS (the developer) seems like they only tested this game on 30fps game consoles, and somehow missed a large number of bugs which only occur when the engine is running at higher framerates...

If you are experiencing this bug, there are a few possible solutions you can try which will hopefully allow you to play at your desired framerate without the bug. From my testing, setting Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 alone in my Xenoverse nvInspector profile was enough to resolve the bug in all instances, though you may also desire to set your Frame Rate Limit and/or VSync target below your minimum framerate. Detailed step-by-step troubleshooting for various refresh rates and in-game performance are below.

The below steps assume you are playing in Fullscreen Exclusive. I have not done any testing with Windowed mode.
    Results were tested and verified on Win7 SP1 x64, GTX 770 2GB, 347.90 Driver, and 1920x1080 @120hz monitor, Xenoverse Update 3 w/ DLC1, DBXV.exe 1.0.1.23438. YMMV

To resolve this, first I'd recommend gathering some information about your in-game perfomance.
    1. Set your desired MSAA setting in nvInspector along with the compatibility bits I posted above.
    2. In-game, set VSync = Disabled and Framerate Limit = Variable.
    3. Check your in-game FPS without VSYNC with the MSI Afterburner OSD or Fraps.
    4. Enter a PQ, and write down what your minimum FPS seems to be during an intense battle.

If you prefer playing without VSync.
    1. In-game, set VSync = Disabled and Framerate Limit = Variable.
    2. Check if you still experience the bug, and if so...
    3. Set Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 (this will hopefully resolve the bug)
    4. Check if you still experience the bug, and if so...
    5. Set nvInspector Framerate Limiter to the minimum FPS value you wrote down
    6. Check if you still experience the bug, and if so...
    7. Continue to lower the nvInspector Framerate Limiter value until the bug does disappear.

If you have a 60hz monitor and your in-game FPS is >60fps and desire to use VSync.
    1. Set in-game Framerate Limit = 60 fps and VSync = Enabled
    4. Check if you experience stuttering when moving in a PQ, and if so...
    5. Set in-game Framerate Limit = Variable and VSync = Disable
    6. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive, Vertical Sync = Force On, Framerate Limiter = 58fps (this will hopefully resolve any VSync stuttering)

If you have a 60hz monitor and your in-game FPS is <60fps and desire to use VSync.
    1. Set in-game Framerate Limit = 30 fps and VSync = Enabled
    6. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive, Vertical Sync = 1/2 Refresh Rate, Framerate Limiter = 30fps (this will hopefully resolve any VSync stuttering)

If you have a 120hz monitor and your in-game FPS is >120fps and desire to use VSync.
    1. Set in-game Framerate Limit = Variable and VSync = Enabled
    6. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive, Vertical Sync = Force On, Framerate Limiter = 118fps (this will hopefully resolve any VSync stuttering)

If you have a 120hz monitor and your in-game FPS is >60fps and desire to use VSync.

1. [*]Set in-game Framerate Limit = Variable and VSync = Disabled
      [*]Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Standard, Vertical Sync = 1/2 Refresh Rate
      [*]Check if you still experience the bug, and if so...
      [*]Set Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 (this will hopefully resolve the bug)
      [*]Check if you experience stuttering when moving in a PQ, and if so...
      [*]Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive, Vertical Sync = 1/2 Refresh Rate, Framerate Limiter = 58fps (this will hopefully resolve any VSync stuttering)

If you have a 120hz monitor and your in-game FPS is >40fps and desire to use VSync.
    1. Set in-game Framerate Limit = Variable and VSync = Disabled
    2. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Standard, Vertical Sync = 1/3 Refresh Rate
    3. Check if you still experience the bug, and if so...
    4. Set Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 (this will hopefully resolve the bug)
    5. Check if you experience stuttering when moving in a PQ, and if so...
    6. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive, Vertical Sync = 1/3 Refresh Rate, Framerate Limiter = 40fps (this will hopefully resolve any VSync stuttering)

If you have a 120hz monitor and your in-game FPS is >30fps and desire to use VSync.
    1. Set in-game Framerate Limit = Variable and VSync = Disabled
    2. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Standard, Vertical Sync = 1/4 Refresh Rate
    3. Check if you still experience the bug, and if so...
    4. Set Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 1 (this will hopefully resolve the bug)
    5. Check if you experience stuttering when moving in a PQ, and if so...
    6. Set nvInspector Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive, Vertical Sync = 1/4 Refresh Rate, Framerate Limiter = 30fps (this will hopefully resolve any VSync stuttering)

See the following post for additional reference: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5035068#post5035068

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Ruiken

Ruiken Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've copied your settings prescicesly, even the things I didn't think would matter so my settings look exactly the same as yours, but when I boot up the game with fxaa off, I STILL get zero AA whatsoever, what's going on? :S

Can you do me a favour? start from scratch, pretend you've just downloaded nVidia Inspector, what are your steps?
    Mine would be:
    1. Create new Dragonball Xenoverse Profile
    2. Add the dbxv.exe to that profile
    3. Change the relevant settings to look exactly like yours
    4. Press Apply Changes
    5. Boot up Dragonball Xenoverse
    6. Notice no changes whatsoever, where did I go wrong?

20. Ruiken

Ruiken Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks for those comparison screenshots too cyberbeing, (couldn't quote them as I'm still a new member haha) really nice knowing how good it CAN look, hopefully my 970 card should be able to handle 8x np :) really looking forward to it as soon as I can get it to work