Nvidia driver frustration

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bigmouth12, Feb 14, 2015.

1. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    Will grab a screen soon. I have my PC on the Intel Integrated Graphics at the moment.

I have the GTX 960 pulled out. On Intel graphics now, no stuttering or lag. The display is smooth with the integrated Killer NIC enabled or disabled (can't disabled in the BIOS since the UD5H doesn't have that option) but I have the driver uninstalled that effectively disables the NIC, it's not displayed in device manager. I've been running like this for 2 days and the PC's good. I know the 960 is fine since I have it running on another machine and it's good. I'm looking into a possible RMA of the board but I'm still open to ideas if anyone have any more.

2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    All Bioses are Beta really, if they have released a new one then it can't hurt to try it out.

Also to help with any driver issues go download Driver Booster from iobit, it's really very good at finding old chip set drivers and any other system drivers you may have missed.

http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php

3. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Yeah unplug every USB device that isn't absolutely essential. Also make sure you're running only essential services. This could be due to something like a really slow / erroring HDD retrying reads all the time or a virus scanner / malware scanner / indexer causing the stutter.

4. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

Install *older* driver for Intel NIC (Network Card) - 19.1 or older. 19.2 and newer (up to and including 19.5) are known to have high DPC issues.

5. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    do you have high quality or quality setting if on high try default quality settings

6. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    The latest BIOS for the UD5H is the F9f which I tried to the same results. I've even tried an older revision of the BIOS. I'll give Driver Booster a shot.

I'll go through and take a look through the services and disable ones I don't need to running and disable any non-essential applications running in the background as well.

Interesting. I was using the Intel NIC driver supplied on Gigabyte's support page ver. 18.8. I'll give 19.1 a try, and for the heck of it also try the latest if that doesn't work.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

7. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

if you are using 18.8 then there's no need to try 19.1 - they'll be the same most likely.

just avoid 19.2 and newer.

8. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    I spoke to a Gigabyte Tech about my issue. They claim it's not an issue with my board but wondered if I was overclocking. The 4790K is clock fairly high stock (4 GHz) and a default core voltage of 1.046 V on the F8 BIOS. I haven't found a reason to overclock with the frequency being as high as it is but high stock frequency likely to cause an issue?

9. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    >>
    I upgraded to a clean install of Windows 8
    >>

So you UPGRADED (from an existing, old Windows) or you did a true, clean install? Your statement otherwise doesn't make sense since you cannot "upgrade to a clean install".

If you really upgraded an existing Windows, I would definitely recommend a true, clean install of Win8.1 and see whether the problem persists.

I also wouldn't play around in BIOS at this time yet, especially power saving settings, EIST,c-states etc. can all be at default.

1) Completely re-install Win8/8.1
    2) Install CHIPSET Drivers for your board
    3) Then do Windows update

Report back if problem still exists.

>>
    but high stock frequency likely to cause an issue?
    >>

No. Why should it concern you anyway if you say you don't OC? I never heard of latency problems with OCed systems anyway, this is just nonsense. (OCed here of course means OCed and tested for stability, but that's an entire different subject now).

Edit:

Disable ALL unnecessary devices in BIOS too to see whether it changes something.

Edit 2:

If you want to dig deeper into this issue..you could also test with bootable CD/DVDs which have some sort of Windows on them, say test a bootable CD with XP on it and then run latency mon and see whether problem persists. If problem appears under all sorts of OS it MUST be a board issue, or some device on the board causing the problem, regardless what Gigabyte says.

Edit 3: If you flash various bioses to your board back and forth you SHOULD really do a hard CMOS reset every time after flashing. (Eg. remove battery, use board jumpers etc. to clear CMOS, not just use "load defaults" in BIOS)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. lokifan

lokifan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 960 GTX 2GB
    Hi! I have same same specs with same problem. I try this 3 hours ago and it seems problem is solved. So try it:ttp://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

11. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    An update guys. After letting this marinade in my head for a bit I went back to tackle again. I was able to find a way to move the GTX 960 to a different PCIe slot and instead of lags I only get display crashing messages. I borrowed a GTX 460 and tried it on the same PCIe slot with the same 347.52 WHQL driver and absolutely 0 issues. I literally went through an AMD Radeon HD 5850, nVidia 9600GT/9800GT and a GTX 960 and none of them gave me good results. But perfect results with a GTX 460. What could explain this? Drivers issue? Hardware issue? A combo of both?

12. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Sounds like faulty power supply.

But the 960 should draw less power than a 460.
    Do you have one to borrow somewhere?

13. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    I gave this shot, no luck with me. Instead of getting the display driver crash message, the PC just reboots.

Unfortunately not a power supply... Reading some old reviews of the 460 it seems to draw around 230ish watts at load compared to the 960's 190ish watts. I was able to do even more testing and found that if I moved the 460 from the second PCIe slot back to the first PCIe slot of the Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H (slot closes to the CPU). I get the same problem as I did with 960, lagging... stuttering on the desktop opening chrome and folders. But the 460 seems completely happy with the second PCIe slot. The 960 doesn't like any slots... I'm inclined to say it's the motherboard, but I don't know.

14. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I feel your pain, finding the faulty component can be a headache.

That is why i always have some old parts laying around to test it all out.
    MB or power supply i would presume.
    (when i had a faulty power used my 5 yr old tx750, i had to turn off sli and all oc, or everything just stopped)

15. Robschina

Robschina Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 1080 sli
    Check your memory usage. I used to have a problem with chrome eating up all my 8gb of memory which made my desktop lag like crazy. Just a thought.

16. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    Well, I finally resolved the issue. Replaced the UD5H with another one and no more damn lag/stuttering or latency issues from the GTX 960 on the first PCIe slot. When I removed the CPU I noticed a pin was bent the wrong way and what seems like some weird marks around the troubled PCIe slot. Perhaps that was the culprit? I posted some pictures (excuse the quality).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kr0cinaniov4ev/PCIe.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j2i152r7uv2plo/UD5H.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for everyone's feedback, support, and help!