Exclusive: DirectX 12 Will Allow Multi-GPU Between GeForce And Radeon

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by pbvider, Feb 24, 2015.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    im hoping this DX12 will help SLI and 3.5g vram it would at least be some saving grace for my SLI set up (fingers crossed)

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I just found out SFR was already there for few years.

I'm gonna look more into this SFR, and test it out myself.

EDIT: Oh nvm, i read it was only good for older DX9 cards but useless for modern cards.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    i had years ago The ATI Rage Fury MAXX (dual Rage 128 Pro gpu's on one board) ATI used to call it AFR and the drivers were a nightmare when it worked it was awesome (back in 1999) but 90% of the time i had loads of issues, bought it of my mate who owns a Computer shop and he won it in some computer competition

he warned me he had troubles trying to get it to work, but i had never heard of a dual gpu gfx back then so i just wanted it to play with.

sold it to a friend and im sure he still has it... might try and get it back (just for show)

ohh back in the days when hardware used to be really exciting lol and worth upgrading, they were the days.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    2-way bandwidth between 2 cards via PCIe is smaller than that last 512MB of vram on gtx 970.
    If it helps somewhere then it is APU+dGPU where PCIe will lift some weight from system memory controller.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    When SFR was in the nvidia drivers years ago it produced much reduced performance vs AFR. Do not know how it is now.

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Maybe this is the plan mixed GPU reduced scaling SLI and crossfire max scaling

8. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Nvidia will make a flag in driver side to prevent this they do this for many things

9. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    This is why I think there will be a very fast adoption of DX12. Game producers know the vast majority of people will move to Win10 within one year of its release.

10. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Would not surprise me. As a company, NVidia is pretty hateful - and they do not spare their own consumers from it either. It says something about society that they are also the largest add in card seller.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's called cutting out the competition. Nvidia is a company out to please its shareholders, it's not out there to make friends. They have a controlling stake in the market and have no reason to do anything otherwise.

12. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    One can cut out the competition without being hateful towards its own consumers. Intel is a good example of such a company. I know this goes against your fanboi view, but I am not sorry to point it out to you.

13. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    What I would hope for in this multi gpu feature is to use my 970 with a lesser card for a smaller bump and added ram. A 970 and 960 perhaps.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    One could always argue if the little in performance increase between generations or the pricing would be considered benevolent towards Intel's customers, but after all, with Intel, Nvidia, AMD, you get what you pay for.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    LOLOLOL...wait wait, let me just go straight to the picture

[​IMG]

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Intel is a horrible example to use. They are just as bad, if not worse than Nvidia when it comes to being anti consumer.

17. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Keep pics of your mom out of this! ;)

Seriously, compared to NVidia, Intel is the Mother Theresa of the tech industry.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think your letting your hatred for Nvidia cloud your judgement.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To me the only benefits that stick out to me from mixing card brands would be physx support (if you call that a benefit that is) the monitor technologies g and free snyc (yeah I know that the new version of the display port will have a similar technology). Yeah I know there are other technological aspects with SLI and Xfire but these are the features that stand out to me. Also I don't see Nvidia will allow this. Another positive is thing is the proper combination of Vram (4+4=8).

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    They dont allow PhysX or CUDA support if you have an AMD GPU installed in the same motherboard ( primary or secondary, even with APU from time to time ).. why do you want they support you could use a "multi brand gpu setup" ( I say that for Nvidia, but well, could be true for AMD too )

let alone that if on paper it is possible, the architectures of AMD and Nvidia have his own specifity, untill a game developper want really push this to the limit of his time work for been able to make work fine SFR ( who is not easy to make work on his own ) , i dont see how anyone, game developpers , studios ( and their contracts with one or the other brand ) will do it.

SFR coming back in better shape due to close metal optiimzation ( RIP Mantle ), yes, its allready the case, but " mix " brand. i dont believe it one second.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015