FCC Approves Net Neutrality Rules For 'Open Internet'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by sykozis, Feb 26, 2015.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The only reason Comcast is still in business, is the anti-competitive nature of ISPs and the backroom deals they've worked to ensure competition is kept to a minimum.

Those 2 are bought and paid for by the ISPs......

They argued that "municipal broadband networks harm consumers"....even though it's been proven otherwise. TN and NC have 2 of the fastest broadband networks in the country.....and they're municipal broadband networks. They're also very reasonably priced. ISPs are just mad because they have to stop raping customers to compete with the municipal networks.
    They argued that a "free and open internet is harmful to competition", even though that's been proven false repeatedly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

I was just wondering that after I read the article. Now that the internet is classified as a common carrier, I wonder how long it's going to be before we start seeing regulatory and administrative charges in our monthly internet bills. LOL.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Supposedly there's a law in place that prevents the FCC from taxing internet. If that's true, we won't be seeing any new taxes as the FCC can't overrule Congress.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I hope your right. I wonder how long it's going to be until theey release that document. If they ever do at all. I am really curious to see what's in it.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You and me both.

Of course, Comcast and Verizon will begin the process of trying to have the FCC's regulations thrown out now. Neither agrees with consumers having any rights in regards to their internet connection.

6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I'll believe that when my **** turns purple and tastes like rainbow sherbert.:banana:

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you need a good laugh....

For the record, there's been almost no "innovation" in the US broadband market in several years now..... Comcast has even gone so far as to attempt to blackmail the FCC to prevent "net neutrality rules" by saying they won't increase internet speeds unless the FCC backs down from any attempts at "net neutrality".... That's the kind of anti-consumer company Comcast is.

The 2 FCC Commissioners that voted against the proposal, are both anti-consumer, Pro-ISP Republicans that don't see a problem with ISPs controlling what information users have access to, or their practice of throttling competing services to the detriment of their customers.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well the FCC should just turn Comcast In and make them nonexistent as a company because blackmail is a crime the last time I checked. Plus makes me wonder what the hell kind of information Comcast has to blackmail the FCC.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The FCC has been pushing for increased internet speeds. Comcast wants the FCC to let them control the internet however they see fit. Comcast refuses to give the FCC what they want, unless the FCC gives Comcast what they want. Basically, Comcast wants the FCC to allow them to screw over customers in exchange for the FCC screwing over customers of ISPs. As I said, Comcast is anti-consumer. In a market with proper competition, Comcast would have been out of business years ago.

10. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    It doesn't have to be called a tax. It will simply be called a fee. Enjoy that 20% rate hike because its a comin! This is like Obamacare all over again, sigh.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I love how ever thread I've read today on this topic, has mentioned "Obamacare" and the price hikes it caused. I haven't seen any insurance prices go up any more than they did prior to "Obamacare".

As for new "taxes" or "fees".....look at Verizon billing. They've been charging an additional "fee" for the last 4 years. I really don't expect this action by the FCC to change that.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heh I bet in that what Comcast wants from the FCC is that them allowing to receive money from streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon so they will not throttle their services which is anti consumer right there. Plus I don't think the FCC will allow Comcast to screw over customers anymore. I remember reading an article about Comcast one of their employees called one of their customers an unpleasant name through a bill. 2nd I also seen a YouTube video about another article where it took a couple several days to get service enabled from Comcast. All the FCC needs to do is look at all the complaints against Comcast and the negative articles against Comcast to see all of the anti consumerism they have been known for. My cousin switched from Dish Network to Comcast (to improve their Internet) and they couldn't even watch TV.

13. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Even if that is true, I bet Peolsi didnt read the bill either.

My point was that this takeover of an entire industry was accomplished by three Democrats and without public comment. It stinks.

Expect this to work like the Tax code. Exemptions will be made for those who pay enough.

14. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning

Dear FCC: Thanks for Listening to Team Internet!

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/02/fcc-votes-net-neutrality-big-win

Net Neutrality Is Here — Thanks To an Unprecedented Guerrilla Activism Campaign
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...ks-unprecedented-guerrilla-activism-campaign/

Related yet separate, I wouldn't trust any vanilla ISP connections without at least using a VPN. https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/ If you want real privacy or freedom, it's not going to be through bureaucracy- it's going to be relying on strong enough deterrents where they can't modify/block/slowdown your data in-transit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I guess that's because the people had their insurance CANCELED instead. but that's OK because "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" right? I know, I know, I'm a racist and blah blah blah. "How dare you question the first black president"... in 2 years it'll be "How dare you question the first chick president"

There's some ""'s for you. Peace Wendy.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    He wasn't lying. I was able to keep my insurance. My premiums for the family increased by about $200 a month though. :p

Now lets get back on topic please. This is about the FCC ruling not the ACA.

What I find most disturbing is all these people blindly cheering for a ruling that they have no idea what else it includes. You have 300+ pages that no one has seen and probably never will. My grandfather use to say, "you make a deal with the devil, be prepared to pay the price." Mark my words, this will cost us something in the end.

17. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I've never quite understood just how American ISPs can get away with the stuff they do.

I really hope that this bill has a positive effect, although there are always some bad things involved in governmental decisions.

It's also a bit funny, but the definition of broadband here in Finland is 256 kbit/s and it has to has a fixed price. Luckily there's some real competition between ISPs here. I shudder to think otherwise.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They've gotten away with it because the US Gov't handed total control of the internet over to "private" companies. It was decided that consumers were better off having the internet controlled by the "private sector" than the Gov't. At that time, the internet was reclassified as a "resource". Being classified as a "resource", left it completely unregulated and left ISP's with no "rules of conduct" by which to operate. As the internet has grown in popularity and necessity, ISPs figured out that they can pretty well do whatever they want because there were no regulations and having monopolies prevented any real repercussions. None of the US ISPs has enough market share for the US Department of Justice to persue an anti-trust case.

So, basically, the US Gov't gave ISPs the internet with complete and total control with absolutely no over-site.....and left consumers in a position of having no recourse when abused. The idiots running the Gov't at the time didn't believe that the "private sector" would ever abuse consumers. ISPs have lobbied hard over the years to ensure that consumers had no legal recourse against them for anything they decide to do, so long as they don't violate contract law or consumer rights.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't even know what to say to that... something like this: 's if this was true.

20. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Wow. I see, thanks for the explanation.

I kind of can understand the original point of that, as the private sector is generally more efficient at doing things, but if there's no regulation bad things can happen, as was the case here. In a perfect world I could see USA being the leader in broadband speeds.