GTX 980 incapable of 2880x1620 or higher? Or bad card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I use these settings with my 580.

[​IMG]

I get a black screen and white line at the top like MrBonk when I try it with my 980, the HDMI cable and monitor are the same.

3840 × 2160 works with DSR btw.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Automatic timings give the same result :(

And DSR has 0 problems. I can use 3200x1800 DSR without issue.

I've got a cable ordered with 2 day shipping should be here Friday. Hopefully it makes a difference. If not..

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    DVI-D Dual Link Cable came in. NOPE. Same problem.

4. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Hi !

From what I see I'd say that's just a values issue. You should set 910 vertical active pixels and try to find the right horizontal active pixels that'll work. Try this and add +100 increments to find the range where you get something on display. You can lower the refresh rate to make it easier to find the right spot.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That did the trick kinda sorta. Thanks.

Couple of problems.
    http://i.minus.com/i0luTIu7emc5W.jpg
    1. I have to set not just the total pixels column but the base as well.
    2. For horizontal I have to have a +200 offset at the bottom (And anything less than 2000 doesn't work.)
    3.This results in ugly scaling and a blurry picture rather than an over sharp one as it should be. Ex: 2720x1530 works without issue displays correct scaling. Using the settings above for 2880x1620 results in same bad scaling and is blurry.
    4.When set to "Aspect Ratio" the GPU detects the resolution/aspect ratio improperly. So the picture will be squished (Black bars as you'd mention), but if you take a screenshot it will be fine.
    5. Games will not detect these resolutions because they aren't being detected by the proper aspect ratios. If an application has a custom option and you set the resolution. It will default and switch to the next closest properly detected resolution. (Which in my case is 2720x1530)

Man, I just don't get how this massively more powerful card has such problems doing what a 570 could do with 0 problems.

I feel like giving up now almost. Can't quite win. I guess I mean if we could set DSR resolutions ourselves by simply specifying any given resolution. Wouldn't need this anyway haha....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Oh, sorry I mixed things up...
    I meant total pixels not active pixels :wanker:
    Keep 1600x900 active, set 1800x910 total and try different values as horizontal.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah I knew what you meant. But nothing I was trying was working (I used values all the way up to 2800 until it started saying unsuported )so I did what I mentioned before

8. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    This is the point where I stop getting the line on the top

[​IMG]

Try it.

9. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    Couldn't run 120hz on cheap dual link dvi.
    Purchased a solid awg one from monoprice. 15ft to boot! (pc a distance from monitor)

Possibly ****e cable? Possible to return the card?
    gl

10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Honestly I think you are blowing this way out of proportion :)
    More than 4xDSR is too much in most games for a single 980 anyway.

Combine that with TXAA or other settings, and you should be good to go ;)
    And who knows, maybe we will see higher DSR levels in future drivers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Di...24597210&sr=8-4&keywords=bluerigger+DVI+cable
    This is the cable. I have several others by BlueRigger, love'em.

I was able to get 2880x1620 to work with a derivative of this after using the pixel clock patcher :) So that's progress.

The most I can get out of 32x18 is a few lines at top and the rest is turquoise and flashing haha.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Too much for some modern games performance wise? Sure.

But not all games I play are current releases. I've got quite a big backlog, several hundred hah.

But what I was referring to rather than going above 4xDSR was being able to just set the resolution I want to scale with DSR and be done with driver downsampling for good.

(Ex 32x18 on this monitor usually is my limit +other AA. But I often use lower integer multiple resolutions too, like 1.2x1.2,1.5x1.5,1.6x1.6,1.8x1.8,etc. And DSR is stupid in that it calculates resolutions you can use based on the final % number of the multiples. This is why we have silly options like 110% 300% and so on. Almost all of these require either rounding or a lot more decimal places instead of keeping it simple with 1.X)

In some cases for some games a certain aspect ratio has to be used, so I use one of those. (Eg: Castlevania Mirror of Fate, King's Bounty Games, some 4:3 games,etc)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I see, didn't really think of that :)
    Normally I just use 4xDSR at 1920x1200 (3840x2400) and be done with it (in DX11 titles at least).

But in special cases, where you need to run at a certain "unusual" aspect ratio or resolution this can be a problem.

14. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
  15. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    My cards have doubled display clocks so it probably explains why it works for me not for you. You may have to go higher with the values.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Doubled display clocks? The front porch/sync stuff? Or the GPU clock itself?

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Would it really make a difference I wonder?

As far as the card goes, I suppose I could RMA it, I mean. My 570 isn't good for long term use due to the damage, but like I mentioned earlier downsampling is no problem even with a generic single link cable :|

I'm contemplating the RMA at the moment because, aside from 3200x1800. All of my other resolutions are working.

And i've got a somewhat decent stable overclock so far (1506 on core, ~7900 on the memory on stock volts. This has been flashed to bake in the clocks and make sure the voltage doesn't drop either. However i can easily reflash the stock BIOS if I RMA)

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    nope it's cable limitation and/or monitor limitation.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yet i've posted that it was just dandy with an older GPU.

I checked again today when I was testing something else on the 570.