How to turn off GPU fan?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hbuus, Feb 19, 2015.

1. hbuus

hbuus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    I'd like my pc to be as quiet as possible in every day use when I'm just surfing etc. (when I'm gaming, I'm using headphones, so then pc noise doesn't matter so much)

In MSI Afterburner I've reduced the fan speed as much as possible, however it has a fixed low limit at 26% fan speed.

I'm using this GPU:

MSI GeForce GTX770 OC 2GB
    N770-2GD5/OC

Is it impossible to turn off the fan speed completely?

I have low temperatures in my cabinet when I'm not gaming, i.e. during every day use, so turning off the GPU fan should not be a problem, I think.

Best,
    Henrik

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Edit its BIOS.

Even after editing the BIOS you can't use AB with a custom fan curve afterwards, it will override the BIOS and the minimum 26% fan speed kicks back in.

3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    770 is different than Maxwell in TDP and stuff. it's not a good idea to turn fan off completely. Heck even for a Maxwell I don't see an idle temp of 40 is good enough, the main reason I chose my gigabyte 980. Lowest fan in this card is 12%

4. hbuus

hbuus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770

I got pretty much the same reply on the MSI forum here:
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=253366.0

I've decided to put my GTX 770 up for sale as I'm not really gaming these months anyway. Might as well try to recover some money on it while it's still worth something.

Thanks again

5. ferdy

ferdy Guest

GPU:
    gtx980 TI hybrid
    mostly the 970 -980 are fanless in idle,and it depends on you own liking.
    i use a little fan(25%) in idle because i like it to be cooler then with no fan speed on.and i dont even hear them.

6. Ravinggg

Ravinggg Guest

GPU:
    2 x Titan Z
    Wouldn't it overheat if there is no fan running??

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    The fans on my R9 290 spin at 850 rpm. Card is insanely silent at idle and even load and I sit right now to my pc. Its not silent but its almost in audible.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You need the fan to run at some speed, or else the GPU will overheat. Shroud coolers don't have passive airflow in mind. 26% should be completely inaudible unless you have zero case fans and your ear next to the tower.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My 980 fan doesn't spin until around 50-60c, sitting idle at 30c atm

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The fans on my card, it has 2, spin at a minimum rate of 20% which is 1100 RPM. Under load when gaming, they never go over 45% or 1800, and the temperature never goes over 59C. This is according to HWinfo. I never really hear them. The CPU fan which is on the larger stock AMD cooler (the one with heatpipes), spins a minimum of 1900 and a max of about 2700 while gaming while the temp never exceeds 52C.

The CPU fan was going up to like 4750 and making an annoying whining sound when gaming before I set a fan curve using the Gigabyte utility EasyTune 6. I set it to hit max fan at 62C but it never gets close.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

11. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    You can take the card apart and wire a toggle switch on either wire. The fan runs DC and connects to the card.

Just know that this is more dangerous than OCing your card. Pay attention to temps.