Samsung Chronos 7 (NP780Z5E) - Need help on updating AMD Radeon 8870M drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CloseToHome, Feb 10, 2015.

1. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    Tested , the same , still have this bug.

(In custom option was this fx profile, installed with it)

2. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

I will create some modded files.

It might take a little time.

3. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    Going sleep. Tomorrow will back to have more tests ;)
    Thanks for help and see you tomorrow

4. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    NP! .. Hope we can get this sorted. I will up the files tomorrow!

5. Har3inger

Har3inger Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 8870m 2GB GDDR5
    If you manage to fix the throttling problem, it will be a godsend to everyone on the Chronos 7/Ativ 8, since it's a ubiquitous problem.

A possible line of investigation: 3D apps tend to get stuck in "lag mode" at certain game events. For example in CS:GO, the following tends to drop you into "lag mode", but also doesn't do it all the time.
    1. Starting the game, loading the menu. It'll probably be 40-50 fps instead of 120.
    2. Whenever you respawn. Especially in Death Match when it shows you a quick freeze frame of the guy who killed you. If you have the fps counter enabled, it'll show 300 or so fps during that freeze frame before dropping to 50-ish once alive and back in the action. Normally I see 80-130fps maxed out with 4x AA at 1080p.
    3. IIRC I've never seen FPS drop down mid-round while I'm still alive.

For other games:
    Sins of a Dark Age beta: Will randomly drop you into lag mode frequently with no rhyme or reason.
    Diablo 3: When the game launches, and usually every time you open a new game instance. Occasionally town portals will drop you down as well.
    Starcraft 2: Literally every time a round starts. The menu is only occasionally launched in lag mode.
    Borderlands 2: Starts in lag mode. Doesn't drop back down for the entire game session.
    Crysis 1: Starts in lag mode. Map changes only occasionally drop you into lag mode.
    Path of Exile: Stopped dropping at all during gameplay after 14.12 WHQL, but often starts up in lag mode. Used to drop down randomly without rhyme or reason with 14.4.

I no longer use the plug/unplug trick to fix the fps drops. The default Fn+F11 key toggles the power saving windows profile on and off. If you set the Plugged in power saving profile to "force power saving graphics" (force intel GPU), tapping the key twice does the same thing as pluggging/unplugging the laptop without wasting your hardware's lifespan.

6. CloseToHome

CloseToHome Member

GPU:
    470 GTX
    Ok, so I have downloaded 14.12 WHQL. Is Raptr necessary?

Also, I have read that you said you can press Fn Lock+F11 instead. Does it work the same way?

Thanks

7. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    We'd love to resolve this problem (I have samsung 770z7e) Probably the key to solving the problem are the samsung adjustments to AMD 13.9 driver (difference between official amd 13.9 and samsungs amd 13.9).
    Waiting for modded files to test ;)

8. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Sorry am running a little late today.

The following is planned:

modded inf file for Samsung 13.9 based on AMD 13.9 with Samsung adjustments.

Then we will switch these adjustments on and off to see if they are "triggers".

EDIT:

Test 1 in your mailbox.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    Har3inger please test it for me :

1. Go to BIOS (F2)
    2. Find option Turbo Control
    3. Disable it.
    4. Check this throttling bug.

"This technology automatically adjusts the processor's performance by minimizing heat generation when the CPU temperature exceeds the specified value.Automatic adjustment of the CPU can result in a decrease in performance" This says samsungs manual.

Please replay. Do you still have this throttling bug ?

10. Har3inger

Har3inger Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 8870m 2GB GDDR5
    Raptr is not necessary. I did not install it on my setup.

Fn + F11 switches the laptop to the Power Savings windows power profile and back, and that's all it does. The entire point of unplugging/replugging the profile is to switch power profile settings between plugged in/battery to turn off and turn on the AMD gpu (or something else that changes when switching profiles). So yes, Fn + F11 does almost exactly the same thing, but you're going to want to ensure that the AMD gpu is set to off when plugged in under Power Savings.

Turbo boost allows your intel CPU to overclock to 3.2 GHz IIRC. Turning it off in BIOS locks your CPU to 2.4GHz and would probably slow everything down a lot. I'll test it anyways when I have time to check.
    Edit: Just read around, seems like Turbo Control might be some sort of additional thermal throttle. I'll turn it off and see what it's like.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

11. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Turbo Control is not the same thing.

Edit:

Just saw that you discovered this for yourself.

12. Har3inger

Har3inger Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 8870m 2GB GDDR5
    Darn. GPU still does its thing where you need to Fn+F11 to get it to kick into high gear.

Might be placebo effect, but I think the framerates on some games is higher with Turbo Control off.

13. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Hmm. So it didn't help but MAYBE made the games smoother.

Only way to find out is to run a benchmark tool.

Regardless it would be logical that Turbo Control is used by samsung to prevent the device from overheating.

14. ciastek164

ciastek164 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 8870 M / 2gb
    In meanwhile I found this drivers :

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/samsung/laptops-desktops/770z7e/3300

When you choose Amd 8800M download there is:

Driver Version: 14.100.0.0000
    Release Date: 2014-04-17
    File Size: 283.91M
    Supported OS: Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit

It's 14.4 "unofficial" Samsung Amd driver (no swupdate).
    I tested them (win8.1), I don't see the throttling bug. This driver last less mb than original amd.

For Samsung 770z5e-780z5e 14.4 :

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/samsung/laptops-desktops/770z5e-780z5e/47538

Can someone test this drivers ? (remember to use DDU, and check settings of switching graphics)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  15. UsuarioSP2

UsuarioSP2 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon M270x
    Catalyst 15.3 fixed throttling bug on Ativ Book 6!

16. Stermo

Stermo Guest

GPU:
    TI Radeon HD 8770M
    Hey guys
    I saw that the thread are old but I want to ask if somebody can help me to chose driver version for NP780Z5E with ati 8770m ?

17. Har3inger

Har3inger Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 8870m 2GB GDDR5
    Use whatever Intel driver SW update from samsung offers you. It doesn't let you install intel separately from AMD, so install the graphics package and use the AMD uninstaller to clean off the AMD driver. Don't use DDU. The ones you get straight from intel can sometimes be incompatible with getting WiDi to work (was true for me back in windows 8.1, not sure anymore)

I would recommend 15.12 Crimson. 16.1 and 16.1.1 have broken UI and application settings.

18. Stermo

Stermo Guest

GPU:
    TI Radeon HD 8770M
    Thank you so much Har3inger.I will try it but for me these drivers do not work well because i need it for application autcad,revit,sketchup,3ds max etc.I found out that when I open these application the ati card not working at all (I watched by GPU-Z) and the performance of the applications is very low too.I do not why but I looking for best solution again.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. Har3inger

Har3inger Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 8870m 2GB GDDR5
    Sounds like the computer is choosing to use the intel over the ATI GPU.

Generally after installing new drivers on this laptop, you have to go back and check that your per-application power profiles still work.

You need to go into radeon additional settings to manually configure High Performance mode for those applications you're trying to launch.

20. Stermo

Stermo Guest

GPU:
    TI Radeon HD 8770M
    Yes I did that I assigned high performance on every application in the control panel and I try it everything that I came to my mind. Now I opened a thread in amd forum too for investigate this further.