Nvidia Enables laptop overclocking again after critique

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If people want to overclock their notebooks its their choice. Atleast they listen...

3. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    ^This :banana:

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Haha, I like the picture of the ghetto Ram Air Induction Style Cooling System you chose to go with your article! In actual fact, such crazy mods are not always required when overclocking your notebook, although people do do some extreme mods! I'm pleased that NVidia is re-enabling overclocking - they listened to us!

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Now people are free once more to melt their poorly cooled mobile processors once again. Rejoice around the burning camp fire that was once your laptop.

6. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    IMHO a Gaming Laptop is still an oxymoron... But some people travel a lot and its their only choice to play games in the hotel in the evening... In that scenario higher noise, additional fans, and cardboard air tunnels are not a problem :)

7. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Some men just want to watch the notebooks burn.

8. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Gosh, most gaming laptops have good cooling systems - also, some people like me, are not everyday home, so my laptop is my main gaiming system and I can make its FANs sping 100% so, the temperatures are "ok" for a laptop.

Stop with those stupid "will burn your laptop" jokes - most people does the same in a damn cellphone (miss good old TI OMAP: 800 @ 1.4).

:D

9. balthier

balthier Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
    Before it was a bug now it's a feature :thumbup:

10. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    ^This...

I have a Sony in my shop due to the system shutting down while gaming. This problem has been caused by a poor and inadequate cooling design. After disassemble I found this little dinky heat sink that is supposed remove heat from both the i5 and GT 330M GPU. I have after a slight modification and applying AS5 been able to get the system stabilized and no it longer powers off during gaming. But will recommend to my client to game sparingly on this Sony.

Question for the guru's, need help getting this system to play a game without pausing briefly for a second. Makes playing games on this horrible. I suspect GPU damage but who knows.
    Code:
    The system has 4GB of ram, 1GB dedicated VRam and 2 128GB SSD drives in RAID0. 

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    NV enables OC again!????! :confused:

But... CAUTION: overclock may damage (very) easily CPU and/or GPU!!

12. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Thank you NVIDIA. It's an option and a choice.

Edit: bring me PAE support back ;D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Please don't post garbage, over voltage does or(and) high temperatures, not overclocking.

14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Probably a good idea with all the flak they've been taking lately :D.

15. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    How your problem is related to overclocking? It's OEMs fault for inadequate cooling. TDP of heating parts clearly states what kind of cooling power it needs. I have right now at home disassembled Dell Studio XPS 1645, video card chip has died from constant high temperature. But that's poor dell cooling design, no way associated with AMD/ATI graphic chip.

16. Andrew Chunis

Andrew Chunis Guest

GPU:
    2g

agree lol im one of them :nerd:

17. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    All these people being hypocrites.

People buy notebooks, they bought it for whatever hardware is in them. They have all the right to do with them as long as its legal. They could jizz on them for as long as its legal and yet some people still say; "hurr durr but it damages your notebook"

And so ****ing what? Its their choice.

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Not well!!

Reasons of GPU damaged for notebook:
    - Overclock easily damages GPU due to the space too bit or to the lack of space and to the mini-fan;
    - Maximum GPU tempurature exceeded (eg: case is 100% closed, summer...);
    - Overvoltage;

19. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    There is an simple solution to cooling an overclocked laptop, put the laptop into an vat of liquid nitrogen and play games that way, but watch out for your fingers thou, LOL. I do have an Zalman fan cooled laptop cooler for my only laptop that I have.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Jizz is fluid damage, so nvidia (or the notebook manufacturer) isn't responsible for replacing it.

Overclocking is harder to detect, and if it isn't detected then as long as the product is under warranty, the chip can be replaced. Nvidia doesn't feel like getting flak or paying for replacements because people decide to kill their chips.

Anyway, the ONLY reason I think gaming laptops are worth considering is if you do tournaments and you can deal with reduced graphics settings. Actually, lowering graphics is better for serious gamers, because aside from not having any significant lag, objects are much easier to see. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but I intentionally turn off depth-of-field whenever possible because it makes potential threats nearly invisible.