No more mobile GPU overclocking - has Nvidia gone insane?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iaTa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You severely underestimate the non-technical savy computer user. Many graphics cards come with overclocking software. There are many stupid people in the world. Do the math.

On this topic: Nvidia has every right to do this. Overclocking isn't supported so they disable it. What's the problem.

Years ago overclocking wasn't supported on desktop cards either but there were ways around that. So this probably isn't even a big deal. Just more people jumping on the bashing nvidia train

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Many graphics cards come with overclocking software, not laptops.
    Even my ASUS ROG 780M laptop did not come with GPU Tweak pre-installed.

Disabling the possibility to OC the GPU on those laptops is a bit meh.
    Don't really see the point in why they do that, if someone is stupid enough to OC it to destruction it's their problem, and can easy be proven if they turn them in for RMA.

Besides that, an ASUS ROG laptop as example can handle a good OC.

Many years ago.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If I remember correctly you had to install the Coolbits add-on to get to that screen. The drivers themselves did not allow it

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've fixed enough laptops to know that preinstalled overclocking software is not an issue. You guys are making up problems to justify crap decision making.

This reminds me a lot of the launch of windows 8 actually. Most cried in favor of the choice of proper desktop control, but there was a loud minority that claimed that anyone that did not like the new GUI were ignorant and unwilling to change.
    I'm personally in favor of choice and user control. Especially when you had something and a company takes it away.
    Those claiming that they have a right to do so because NVidia makes the hardware is silly. The person who buys the hardware owns it. MS makes the OS, so they have a right to do what they want to do with the startmenu.
    Whether or not you can do a thing doesn't make it right.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Coolbits was just a registry entry under the drivers tweak section, so the drivers did allow it themselves, just had to enable it.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I guess the problem might be that there are to many none techs that have started to inspect laptops that come back via RMA.
    In other words, greedy OEM laptop manufacturers might want to save money on qualified personal and asked NVidia to disable the possibility to OC.
    Just guessing lol.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    So what? It's Nvidia's decision and you have the right not to buy their products. It happens too often these days that consumers are dictating to companies what their business practices should be. If you don't like their products don't buy it and they will either change or not, but it isn't like there aren't other GPU companies out there.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I getcha on that aspect for sure...... I've only got experience with laptops with nvidia from back in 2008 when I bought my gaming laptop with dual 1gb 7950's..... Good'ol Sager notebook still kickin it strong today.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The overclocking principles are the same for both desktops & laptops: don't abuse voltage, don't abuse temperatures, it's not complicated. A lot of laptop GPUs are architecturally the same as desktop GPUs in terms of the GPU core chip used, so the similarities are quite remarkable.

Just like with desktops, different case configuations & GPU cooling solutions provide both hot running or cool running GPUs - so no difference between laptop & desktop there either. Sure, on average desktop GPUs will have lower operating temperatures than laptop GPU, but it's safe to overclock if temperatures are good (same in both laptop & desktop).

I think it's a bad decision that NVidia have locked down their 900M series GPUs like this, and I think you should be concerned that this could be an omen of things to come in the desktop space in the future. If we can convince NVidia to go back on this decision and to continue to offer overclocking on their laptop GPUs, then it's less likely that this locked down attitude will encroach on your desktop GPUs in the future. I think we should try and nip this in the bud now, and try and get some change:
    https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-enable-overclocking-on-geforce-equipped-notebooks

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why do you need to be a passive consumer? Active consumers are the best. Make no mistake, words to describe these peoples reactions are not anger or hate, it's frustration and disappointment. Many people here, including myself are to some degree an NVidia fan boy. That doesn't mean everything they do is right and should be defended. It's ok to disagree. It's ok to be active and expect more.
    It's not like we have a lot of options. Just AMD. It's easy to say what you say. It's harder to make companies do something out of love of their customers and not their bottom line. The Xbone would have always online DRM and no game trade in's other wise. Many examples I could pull up where making people happy works out better then your bottom line.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    EDITET.

You are right.

If you go to the official ASUS, MSI and Lenovo gamer laptop sites, none of them offers a download for their GPU OC utilities under the laptops support/download section.

But as seen below they do state that they support it, and got the downloads under a different URL.

So my statement on this is:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5013768&postcount=121

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
  13. pekka

pekka Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    We have 3 Laptops with Nvidia cards one with 2xGT750M 2 with GTX765M
    now i feel like perhaps these could be sold for a sum of Money and buy me a PC or laptop with Radeons inside.
    Because i am not buying one more laptop with Nvidia inside this is one customer they won´t get more Money out of for sure i´m stubborn and i´m a Finntha said my Money is on the red team, shame on you Nvidia Shame on you

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hmm sounds interesting. Maybe this proves that the Laptop manufacturer has the power to control such features since they are the ones who build these laptops.

16. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
    That's the point. They don't have the power any more.

17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's a good point. Although having the statement that overclocking is now not allowed come from an NVidia Rep, then this says to me it's NVidia calling the shots.

18. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    It's crap like this is why I gave up on Nvidia in 2007 and I won't buy any of their Tegra (ARM) products either!

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I call it that you are right and that ASUS has a mess on their websites.
    I looked at the downloads for mine.
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JH/HelpDesk_Download/

Wondered why there wasn't any GPU Tweak, neither the other 2 I checked, since the ASUS ROG laptops are made for OC.
    Weird that NVidia blocks the OC then, I hope ASUS takes affair on this matter, but I guess they just override the blockade and say like Linux.

This also point more towards that it is NVidia's idea and not the OEM's.

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    For anyone saying they won't buy nv anymore: i hope amd messes up something similar in the future just so I can see what they will buy then.. Intel onboard??
    With only 2 gpu makers i doubt this thinking will last.
    What if nv puts out a card that is twice as fast compared to the best product amd would offer or same performance for half the price? Doubt people wouldn't go back to nv...