Review: Dying Light graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this article we benchmark Dying Light - almost 30 graphics cards are being tested and benchmarked. We have a look at DX11 performance with the newest graphics cards and technologies. We'll also lo...

Review: Dying Light graphics performance

2. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Nice review ... but I don't understand what you said about the game load time ! I game on a 560 TI but I don't know what my frames are ... I am well beyond that point ...it's working , it's ok for me ! But I have the game installed on a SSD can I ask you if you installed the game on a ssd or hdd as my load times are around 5 - 8 seconds !

Best requards,
    Ichim Andrei

3. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

at full HD the gtx770 is better than 780 and Titan wTF lol ????

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Dude ... obviously SSDs. No on the main test machine we have seen excessive load times in certain high VRAM scenarios (both NV and AMD). Perhaps some others have noticed this as well. If not, then it's isolated on our end.

5. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Boss i don't see the test system specs you used in the article?

6. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    This is the reason I have asked ! Haven't see it so ! ... Nice review as always

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I saw couple videos on youtube, 280X pushes quite higher fps than 960, yet HH shows us its about the same.

Also video memory usage goes higher than 2GB in any case unless you are playing on minimum while you are showing us how gtx770 pushes 61fps at 1080p, sounds abit off.

8. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    I still have this weird problem where it takes about 10 minutes for the game to crash, using MSI afterburner monitoring my ram usage (which stays around 8gb) but the pagefile usage creeps and creeps until it gets to 16gb (takes about 10 minutes of gameplay) thats when I get a Windows error and game freezes up and shuts down....

and this only happens when I max out the Textures in options... if I leave them on medium, then that particular pagefile usage stays below 10gb and I can play the game fine....

I always disable page file on any new Windows OS install I do... some guys in the other thread suggested I try enabling it.... but I don't know if it will make a difference

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Page 3 ... even includes a photo.

10. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    No probs you normally put a full spec run down with dedicated page 8P

11. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    View distance slider should be set to zero for just about every card, or at the most 25%. Big gains in performance and it still looks fine with it on zero. When I am fighting zombies, I don't care how many trees I can see across the ocean. As for loading times, there are people having really long loading times. Lucky for me, I don't have any problems with that and the game runs fairly well with everything on and set to medium with view distance on zero.

This is also a helpful tool http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/18/?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  12. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I don't know what the hell is going on. All the reviews that still use the 780 keeps showing that the 780 ages really really bad compared to the other Kepler alternatives. Seriously starting to regret getting the 780. Oh well I have a 970 coming tomorrow that I'm getting from a friend.

13. bryguy9021

bryguy9021 Guest

GPU:
    Evga ssc gtx 970 4gb
    terrible review and i go into detail why in a post i just made. i wish i would have seen this first or i would of just posted it here :p but in a nutshell, their test system is stupid, because normal people dont have bleeding edge systems, AND IF THEY DID they dont have old vid cards in them!

i cant post links yet because i just registered simply because of how insanely mad this dying light video card review made me, so please click my name and view the only thread i have "an article on how websites review hardware"

or lets try posting links workaround, and just copy that into your browser
    forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=396981

14. bryguy9021

bryguy9021 Guest

GPU:
    Evga ssc gtx 970 4gb
    "Our test system is based on the eight-core Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition with Haswell-E based setup on the X99 chipset platform. This setup is overclocked to 4.40 GHz on all cores. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). We use Windows 8.1 all patched up. Each card runs on the same PC with the same operating system clone.

GeForce cards use the latest 347.52 driver.
    AMD Radeon graphics cards we used the latest 14.12 Omega driver. "

in response to system specs of their review

edit: they forgot to mention it is gold plated and diamond encrusted

15. Hari_Seldon

Hari_Seldon Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX970 AMP! Extreme
    The bottom index and title are wrong: page 7 says fullHD but is 1600x1200, page 8 says WQHD & UHD but is 1920x1080 and 2560x1440. No UHD.

And I was hoping for a GTX970 SLI / VRAM FCAT experience.

16. bryguy9021

bryguy9021 Guest

GPU:
    Evga ssc gtx 970 4gb
    i dont have sli gtx 970s (yet) but i can tell you from my experience, that you must run the view distance all the way down for acceptable FPS and absolutely NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY WHATSOEVER...nvidia depth of field is broken and needs disabled. and vsync is broken and will only lock at 60fps or 30fps (unless you have a higher refresh monitor, or a gsync)and this makes for MASSIVE stuttering from constant jumps between 30 and 60 fps.....under those settings i have amazing results always over 70fps (highs over 100) on ultra quality everything else with HBAO+ at 1920x1080. however, and i think this is a problem in my windows cause my old 260 was suffering from this too in games, my pc will hard freeze for an entire second and the sound will go EHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!.but i have not experience any microstutters or input lag. i have not heard from the latest patch but friends tell me SLI has no impact on this game at all as this game is TERRIBLY optimized.
    there are alot of youtube videos on this subject, and they all say what i just said for optimal performace on higher end cards

edit. should mention i am also using the dying light launcher tool from nexus mods, and have stupid film grain disabled, as well as spatter effects on my screen (cause its annoying when it rains). absolutely essential tool

17. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    A lot of pricks lately.
    Thanks for the review HH.

18. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Ya , I noticed that also ... a lot of bad ppl lately here and also on steam ! But he does have a point ... not all of us can afford an Intel I7 cpu ... I still game on my old 1090T proccesor , meaning I will lose around 7 - 10 fps easily . I am not asking to change the method how review are made ! but this is a maximum number of fps that you can achieve. This is way when I have a demanding game I also install fraps and see what my FPS are so I can finetune it.

The spoiled brat should do that also .... and remember ppl ... not all in live goes your way you will realize that later in life

19. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Yep, lets use low-mid range spec cpu and motherboards so that when we try to get accurate results on a GPU, we can experience wonderful bottlenecks allowing 25% of GPU results all to show the same FPS and skew genuine results.

When you test a product you do not want any other peripheral in use to hinder the results of your test so you use high end.

I really can't see why you felt the need to write a reply just to say "terrible review". There are better and more polite ways to express disatisfaction without sounding rude. And throwing in profanities in your other post doesn't help you in anyway. I'd suggest you grow up and try to be sensible in your replies. "Stupid Setup"? Welcome to the enthusiast forum, there are thousands of people with Hilberts same equipment.
    Leave your sarcasm out. It doesn't help you.

20. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    The benchmark was to show the differences in GPU performance not "whole system performance on a mediocre pc". There are sites that test the diff. CPU performance. Just do your research on why the sites use "bleeding edge" hardware.