No more mobile GPU overclocking - has Nvidia gone insane?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iaTa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, I like a lot of what you say there, but in truth mobile NVidia GPUs have been overclockable through official NVidia drivers since 2010. That's what most people are upset about, the fact that a long standing feature & ability to overclock is now removed for the latest 900M series GPUs. (And some earlier drivers for the 900M series did allow for overclocking, so people could see what these new cards can really do too.).

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @ GhostXL ; I think you're lying. I think if you could no longer overclock your 980's to 1500 and was forced to run stock you would be pretty upset. And you should be.

Laptop GPU's can overclock pretty well. Especially the 800 and 900 series, being so efficient like they are.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nothing I said contradicts that.

4. tehdewm

tehdewm Guest

GPU:
    680m 4gb
    You keep throwing around the word "if", if if if if. There is no if. I have owned a 680m laptop since 2012, an alienware m11x2, and a sony vaio s13. All nvidia gpus, all laptops, and all were overclockable. Msi after burner worked fine on all of them with native nvidia drivers. There is no if. They released drivers a few sets ago that disabled over clocking, BUT they did not have over clocking disabled the past few years.

If they some how did have this fictional lock on overclocking how have all my laptops, gaming grade or not, been over clockable.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yep, no worries, I'm not having a go at you, I'm just adding some more history and information around how long people have been overclocking mobile GPUs through official NVidia drivers, which puts it in the picture why people are so angry that this long standing (since 2010) overclocking feature has now been removed.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I still don't get the history of Overclocking Nvidia GPUs on laptops. AT ALL!

IMHO newbs (especially) should go easy on sarcasm.
    The expectation that people who don't know the first thing about you, should be willing and able to plow through your crap and decipher it, is selfish and rude.
    And for what... most of the time it's not even remotely funny

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Please learn to read. I said I don't blame them doing it to the laptops and I understand their reasoning. I said nothing about minding about desktops. I'm done. If you continue to want to be ignorant.... fine.

I am not lying about anything.

I agree.

But there is an if.

Thus why I said what I did.

There are many if's. What if you decided to go on a walk tomorrow? What if you decided to call of work tomorrow? What if...that's just it. Life if full of if. You just don' know how it plays out that is why you don't worry about it and just LIVE.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've seen you do this on so many threads. Must be a form of projection. You act like a child and claim everyone else is stupid.
    I've read what you said, and the point is it doesn't matter. People overclock phones. There are enthusiast everywhere. The fact that you can't understand other people's frustration and therefore don't care is selfish.

9. WontonNoodle

WontonNoodle Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 3070M
    Wow... I OC'd my 660m to like 1300mhz and I got 20+fps in all games with a 5 degree increase in temps... nvidia is insane, they just want $$$

EDIT: so you cant use nvidiainspector to force an overclock with the new drivers? not going to install them to test it out myself lol :kenny:

10. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
    Nope you can't force it with software. A VBIOS mod will be the likely alternative, although that won't be an option available to everyone.

Cyberdyne it's great to see a desktop user on our side. Thank you!

11. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    I see..well i got your point, like anyone did , tho everyone have different opinions on this and we should all respect. Me, myself have a Laptop with Nvidia GPU 780M and it does overclock amazing from 775/1001mhz to 915/1195 with only a increase of 5/6c+. So i call this Nvidia BS to fill the so deep pockets they have even more. What a shame..

12. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    I can't wait to see what Nvidia is up to next, disabling desktop GPU overclocking?

I'd love to see the shills try and defend that one.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If it was a feature enabled by accident then Nividia has every right to correct it. Also petitions do not solve anything. Also the insides of a laptop are very different than a desktop. You are cramming alot of stuff inside of a tiny area which makes alot of heat, however I have seen gaming laptops for sale with OCed CPUs. Seems like to me that they are trying to protect the average user. I do no think the average user would purchase a gaming laptop. Heck they even sell gaming laptops with Mobile SLI for heaven sakes. I do not see what the big deal is if users want to OC their Mobile GPUs then let them.

14. Lilith

Lilith Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1660ti
    I don't want to sound dumb, but don't most ppl who have gaming laptops goto places like Guru3D or laptopvideo2go etc to get inf modified drivers so they can use whatever driver (desktop or mobile) on whatever hardware configuration they want? In other words for ppl who do actually overclock there mobile cards, is this really going to affect them?

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That's a good point. If it does work that way, I guess these people will just have to deal with potentially outdated drivers. Or maybe someone will find a way to mod newer drivers. But the fact remains it's pretty crappy that NVidia is being obstructionist.

I love my NVidia GPU's, and I want them to be a golden company that loves its customers. That ain't going to happen by giving them excuses. I don't mind holding my favorite tech company accountable. I've in the past harped on AMD quite a bit recently for crappy ad campaigns and that god awful Raptr partnership. It hurts even more for me when its NVidia I have to be against.
    But what can I say, I'm the most reasonable PC enthusiast ever.

16. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I'm getting fed up of people who say 'laptops shouldn't be overclocked because they can't handle the heat'.

I currently have a laptop with an 860M that has had IC diamond thermal paste applied. As a result, the overclocked settings I used (netting a 15% performance increase) result in temperatures that are LOWER than if it was at stock using the default factory applied paste. Not only that, I could have overclocked it further but I reached the software limit allowed in Afterburner. Note that no voltage increase was applied to achieve this.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think the big deal is simply, to Nvidia (and their partners), cost. Failure rates are increased with overclocking and it is nearly impossible to prove, if done via the drivers. Overclocking on most laptops is not covered by warranty.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Some can, some cannot. Your unique experience doesn't apply to the whole.

19. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
    If I was a betting man I would bet a lot of money that every single Maxwell based notebook, no matter make/model could be safely and quite comfortably overclocked by the old Nvidia allowed maximum (+135MHz).

20. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    nGreedia you dogs:
    Experience the overclockable 17” gaming laptop
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ

Overclocking If you know what you are doing, it can actually give a decent performance increase.
    There are many notebooks that can easily take an overclock including increased voltage with no issues at all, without hitting a critical temperature.

If nGreedia did the same thing on desktop parts, you'd all be furious.
    Some people are notebook enthusiasts, and for them this is like a slap in the face.

Pure marketing BS and to cover OEM's vendor ass AKA using crappier parts.