No more mobile GPU overclocking - has Nvidia gone insane?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iaTa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    lol you're in Mobile GPU overclocking thread

what are you mad about, let people vent

2. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    I really cant believe some of the things you read on a forum like this, that should work together.

I dont really care if you think it's good or bad to block overclock on a mobile graphic card. What you should care is about a company removing features that came on their products out of nowhere. A company which you buy products from.

No pointing in fighting or trolling.

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Do people honestly believe that petitions will get them anywhere?

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well said!

5. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It used to be a futile endeavor but these days, many laptops are very capable of gaming at high levels. New ones are made frequently that compete with the best desktops at the time. They quickly fall behind however because of not being easily upgradeable. There certainly are many that outperform the newest game consoles. Laptops have come a long way in recent years.

Having said that, I can understand Nvidia blocking the overclocking. These are systems that for the most part, can not be easily fixed by replacing a part. Most laptops have the graphics "card" soldered in place and it's actually more like an integrated chip rather than a discrete card. Most laptops are also not designed to provide the additional cooling needed for overclocked components. I find myself in agreement that no component of a laptop should be overclockable unless it's a system specifically designed to allow for it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    when did Nvidia guarantee that their gpus can be overclocked as a feature?
    what product can i run outside manufacturer specs without losing warranty?

and for countries like the US where people need to be told [in the manual] that they cant put pets in a microwave [e.g. to dry them], i think its a good idea.
    will keep nvidias cost down, and those how know what there doing will find a way around it.
    just make a "K" model gpu that costs more, and allows ocing...

please name more than car brands that will cover any repairs stemming from software/hardware mods to the ECU [to gain more power].

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think though that if you take that stance, then the same logic can apply to desktop GPUs, which is a worrying development. You don't want NVidia to start closing down the hardware on desktop GPUs as well right. In fact, I don't think it should be closed down on laptop hardware either. I'm dead against limitations being placed on either desktop or laptop hardware.

(And I wouldn't be an advocate or fan of NVidia fleecing customers even more by releasing artificially expensive K models that are the only ones that can be overclocked - whether that be desktop or laptop).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Its threads like this that make me wonder about the average age of this site's members.

9. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Age doesn't matter. Mentality and a healthy brain do.

10. Cakefish

Cakefish Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980M 4GB
    Desktop overclocking should be blocked too. After all, desktop systems are also at risk of serious damage to the system that could result in non-functional systems, reduced GPU life, or many other effects. I see it as NVIDIA's duty to safeguard all those desktop users out there, just as they have been kind enough to safeguard all of us notebook users. Remember that overclocking is by no means a trivial feature! I'm sure NVIDIA value their desktop customers just as much as they do their notebook customers, so will have no qualms whatsoever in quickly protecting desktops users from potential harm.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, the choice is yours. nVidia is not taking your freedom to choose away :p

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes, I see you playing out the logical conclusion of NVidias current thinking. Neither should be blocked, neither laptop nor desktop.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Here we go again. You know. Nvidia corrected a mistake. You could not OC before and a driver accidentally got out that enabled the feature. They disabled it again for reasons.

They are right in everything they said.

At least they admitted to the mistake, nobody is perfect. I can think of the countless actual BS propaganda ATI pulled with HL2 back in the Geforce FX days forcing FP 32 on Nvidia through the game code instead of FP16.

This was a mistake not a cripple. It was disabled before, enabled by mistake, and disabled again to correct the mistake.

People gotta think before they speak.

Yet again before I am attacked by fanboy that fanboy this I have owned the following...

Powercolor ATI HD 3870 Crossfire
    Powercolor ATI HD 4870 X2
    Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 5870
    MSI AMD/ATI HD 7970 Crossfire

Your sarcasm sucks. Do you realize just how much more customizable a desktop is compared to a laptop? Just how much easier it is to cool down a desktop compared to a laptop?

If it's a laptop meant for gaming it's different. But most laptops out there are not, and thermals SUCK completely for OC'ing. The majority of people that would try to OC with these drivers would barely have one spinning fan in their laptop.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't think you get it GhostXL. These people aren't upset because Nvidia made a mistake. They are frustrated because a function they feel they should have (and I agree) is being artificially locked out.

And you're arguments are lame. I've seen plenty of high temp desktop GPU's. It's true that laptop's are harder to cool of course, but work is done to make the more efficient and cooler. In the same way when a desktop GPU over heats from overclocking, a laptop GPU is also smart enough to downclock and shutdown to save itself.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    NVidia laptop GPUs have had drivers that allow overclocking since 2010 - for five years now, the fact that overclocking is now disabled for the new 900M series GPUs is a new move - a removal of a feature that has been around for 5 years.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    IF it was locked before and accidentally unlocked in ONE driver, from what I'm getting at in this article I think I do understand.

IF not then I still completely agree with the reasoning and would not mind the idea if I owned one.

My arguments aren't lame. If someone has a high temp desktop they are doing something wrong and should not OC at all.

17. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    From the moment you speak about AMD and fanboy´s in a Nvidia thread, even if the only one doing it, you sir ARE a IDIOT FANBOY regardless of what cards you had in the past . :3eyes:

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Not at all. I still own AMD rigs and love em. If AMD did the same on their laptops I'd say the same thing.

Remarks like this can get you a time out.

If you read my post and understand English, you'd understand I was implying the fact that I am NOT a fanboy having owned AMD. Do you see GTX 980 SLI in my specs? Shall I make a complete list of the cards I've owned in the past from 3DFX/ATI/AMD/Nvidia/S3/Evil Kyro?

What about the fact that I enjoyed them ALL? Well I did.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol. No, you clearly don't. From the point of view those angry right now, the mistake was not ONE driver accidentally unlocking it, it's that it was and is locked at all. And was relocked. The 'mistake' driver showed the artificial nature of the lockout, thus the frustration and petition.

And you must have a short memory. AMD is notorious for crap stock coolers on GPU's that reach 80+C without overclocking in a decent case. But you can still overclock and fail, or even break, the GPU. It's your choice and responsibility.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No I do. We just don't share the same opinion so you think to start a right or wrong war. Fact is we just don't agree. Leave it at that.

Plus you didn't read my whole post or you'd see I clearly stated.....