AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. LocKeRoM14

LocKeRoM14 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X
    Yea I feel all the people with crossfire setup's pain, But i do believe with a single gpu setup more frequent driver updates wouldn't be needed and both nivida and amd are great choices. But I think those who are interested in 4k gaming that need that extra power I believe nvidia is definitely the way to go when it comes to multi gpu setups since they do seem to have superior driver support / releases at least from what I've seen. Just my 2 cents

2. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah this driver will not play well with Skyrim at all if you have an HD series card. I had the same glitches when I tried this driver with my old HD 6750. Unplayable. Works like a dream with my R9 280 though.

3. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Nope.jpg ):

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Um idk what hardware u have but reserving RAM for CPU caching went out back around the PII days, if my memory serves me correctly.
    After L2 there was no need....

Soundcards or raid controllers etc can use RAM reserved by the bios, but CPU's don't.

HPET is used when Invariant TSC or TSC isn't available.
    Invariant TSC is only supported from W8 and only on newer CPU's. HPET is a platform clock (ie motherboard) and is a fallback counter.

Hierarchy of top of my head is something like:

I TSC
    TSC
    HPET

But yeah HPET.... that's a whole new can of worms we should prob avoid opening. :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

5. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    There was work to do with The Fixer 3 before a new driver.

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yes I'm rally going to pull the trigger in the next few months. If I don't get my games to work properly in the new driver like mantle in BF4 I will make the switch. I know There's also issues with Nvidia and they not flawless in everything but at least you get proper driver support and they still optimize for older fermi cards and that just proves a lot. AMD already stopped doing proper support for GCN1.0 Cards. I bought the R9 280x crossfire not that long ago. I was actually thinking about going 780/780ti or r9 280x crossfire and I think 780 would've been a better choice although costing a lot more but you get what you pay for.

This is my First AMD Graphics cards and I must say I'm done with AMD and their Stupid support. Card runs hotter and use more power than Nvidia. I sure hope AMD next cards will lower the prices of Nvidia

I have 2 clan mates one running 7970 and the other running 7990 and they so pissed at AMD that they want to make the move to Nvidia and they hardcore AMD fans. Running AMD CPUs and GPUs but they struggling to play games properly these days. i have another clan mate that upgraded from AMD r9 295x2 and r9 290x in tri-fire and yes he tested the r9 295x2 and r9 290x individually with many drivers and the smoothness is just not there. He upgraded to 1x Galax GTX 980 SOC and man he told me all games do feel smoother even though you get lower FPS.

They must stop making useless videos and rather spend towards making better drivers. Check Nvidia. They don't really release something stupid like that cause they don't have to.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Anyone playing dying light with 290 and getting all minimum 20fps is doing something wrong. It should be like 100+.

I do not have any problems with the driver release schedule actually I know fc4 amd said there is a problem with xfire on ubis end did they fix it cause amd tried?

Cards being hotter no wonder since 970 and 980 are new as hell vs 780 and 780ti and 290 and 290x which all run pretty hot amd with crappiest reference cooler arguably bit hotter.

Now games should still feels smoother with one card then dual gpu setups since the frametime just isn't there yet.

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yes but he also tested r9 290x vs gtx 980 and the 980 is in theory better overall but the smoothness is also 10x better

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That is just odd considering the frametimes for both are about equal. Unless of course the avg fps was way lower and depending on game. Or it was placebo. 290x is no way as fast as 980 since that card is around 15% faster all in all while 780ti and 290x hang around just fine together. If that 15% meant increase from sub 60 to over 60 avg it would be smoother.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Na, we all know that if a game runs horrible on a computer with AMD graphics, it's instantly AMD's fault. Game developers are perfect, just look at the coding masterpiece BF4! Even though Mantle's performance on BF4 degraded after a BF4 update, AMD is clearly to blame for that for making such a broken API (let's just ignore that it works fine/better in other games, and lets also conveniently forget that Mantle was patched-in at a later date on an already broken game) /s

I really feel the need to grab another 7850 or something just for Crossfire. I never ran such a setup, but I'd really like to know first-hand if it's as problematic as people claim, or if it's system/setup-specific...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I wouldn't go sli or xfire seems like too much hassle to me and too many variables that can go wrong horribly. My friend was wondering why his fps in fc4 was so bad with 7850, his old Q6600 @ 2.4 was a huge bottleneck one area where amd would need improvement is the overhead but we will see if they ever do anything to it. We tested the game at max settings fps was hovering around 40-50 on his sub full hd display after clocking the cpu to 3.1

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If anything; if Crossfire doesn't end up going so well, a second GPU might be nice for virtualization (could give a virtual machine direct-access to a GPU while the host OS has access to another)

But I don't really have the money to go out and buy another GPU anyway atm :p

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yup. I was playing with the idea of getting another 290x at one point. I could still if I find one for 180€ used or something :D But still bit scared how xfire would work even tho one is mighty fun for running games still.

14. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    This driver works fine for me. Stable and high fps in most games I play with the exception of Dying Light but I'm very sure that on this particular game is not a driver problem and it cant be fix with only a driver release. Beside this the driver works fine in new titles like Battlefield hardline or Evolve
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1540043/gamegpu-battlefield-hardline-beta-2-test
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1540793/...eons-roar-on-cryengine-graphics#post_23528714
    Yes, there are some crossfire issues and I understand people frustration with crossfire rigs but those games are nvidia gameworks games and is very hard to resolve with a driver a game unoptimised for you're architecture.

15. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Crossfire is fine. I have had it for years now.

The last problem I had with crossfire was when you enable vsync there was a sound hitch. It was annoying at the time but it was fixed later.

If you want to use a successful crossfire like myself, then dont be OCD with driver installations. Some people run game mods, some applications in the background (for games), monitoring software, etc. that could cause some problems but everyone blame the drivers first.

Tips for Crossfire:
    * Disable ULPS
    * Dont run DDU, Driver Sweeper, etc. They are good programs but they are not needed for every installation. I only recommend them if you are switching video cards.
    * Low CFX performance after a driver installation? Disable CFX then reboot, Enable CFX then reboot, done.

I really dont understand how some people have so many issues even with single cards. Nvidia sponsored games have problems with AMD cards? I wonder why...lol. It is the same the other way around.

16. fullban

fullban Guest

GPU:
    AORUS GeForce 1080ti
    my problem is

if games don't have profiles they don't work properly afr and optomize 1x1 are temporary and don't perform as the game should

17. Pallock

Pallock Guest

GPU:
    7970ghz & 280x CF
    Crossfire works fine when there is a profile for the game. The problem is the fact that Amd is not releasing crossfire profiles on time. Now you have to wait months.. Without a profile there can be artifacts, serious flickering and all sorts of funky things happening.

I'm lucky I don't have a 295x2.. A card that costs pretty much considering there is quite a slow support for it.

18. jamek

jamek Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    It is really sad whats happening to AMD owners these days ...

:dead: :s3d::dead:

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    whats sad?

nothing is happening to me...

do you mean its sad what is happenin to XFIRE owners?

thats a tiny fraction of their customer base.

multi-gpu issues come with the territiory. If you expect everything to work right (AMD or Nvidia), i have some swampland for sale...

20. jamek

jamek Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    Xfire owners are just a part of the tragedy.

as single gpu owner im also suffering from recent games optimisation in addition poor support from AMD.

i started using PC in 2002-2003 my fist PC was (pantium4 1.7GHZ - Radeon 7000 and 128 mb DDR1) i remeber that i had problems with some games but all are resolved when i switched to NVIDIA 440MX so im sure this is also the solution today.

however, this is not the best time for switching to NVIDIA so im waiting with my pain