overclocking

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Shabaco, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    overclocking solution for laptop users & 347.xx

managed to get overclocking work;

[​IMG]

347.26 + nvlddmkm.sys from 346.87 & ntune

345.09 & 346.xx seem to overclock.

aida64 & gpu-z show the clocks as overclocked so i assume it works.

nvidia inspector kept resetting the clocks after closing and afterburner was useless as was all the other overclocking apps i tried.

347.26 allowed me to overclock the core in ntune but gave an error when applying the memory clock setting.

with the sys file from 346.87 both are overclockable.

laptop w230ss, gtx 860m 540mhz core & 2506mhz memory default or 5000mhz in nvidia cpl.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    well either no one believes me or i'm late to the party and someone else has already fixed or found a solution?

afaik nvidia haven't fixed the no overclocking for maxwell mobile users right?

3. tiner

tiner Guest

GPU:
    6770m
    I own a clevo too with a 970m and I do not really know why nvidia is capping overclocking capabilities.

Is this going to be forever for some reason?

4. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    no idea, but i'm happy i found a solution for now.

gtx 860m is a good overclocker.

5. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    This is really amazing, thank you for your findings.

Dont understand either why this topic is not getting so much attention.
    I use a Lenovo Y50 with 860m and my solution to the overclock issue was flashing the notebook's bios with a new stock clocks for the GPU, so I dont need to overclock inside windows and still keep my drivers up to date.

But I need to test your solution. Could you please give a more detailed walkthrough?

And aparently Nvidia decided to cut down overclocking to prevent users experience throttling. So probably not coming back officially.

6. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Also, have you tried with 347.25?

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. Ac30

Ac30 Member

GPU:
    860m GTX
    ChatBR, how did you flash the Y50? I heard the Vbios is bound to the system bios...

Also Shabaco a guide would be appreciated :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Probably because the majority of members here are running a desktop PC with a desktop GPU

9. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    he's right because overclocking works fine for desktop users, it was only disabled or blocked or broken for laptop users.

@chatbr

347.25 should work too, as long as you replace the file.

[​IMG]

i posted it on the geforce forums, no one seemed interested, one silly user replied saying replacing files will make the driver stop working altogether.

you might need to F8 on booting and choose the disable driver sig enforcement option to install or it might say it can't be installed.

gotta love the people who think they know it all :p

all games etc are still working, contrary to what the user said on the geforce forums....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  10. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    I think this goes a little bit off-topic so I am not getting into much details but there is a huge topic about this in another forum. The vbios is bound to the system bios and thats why you need to extract the system bios with a bootable DOS pendrive, edit it, and re-flash your system.

Maybe! But I really expected more people looking for ways to unlock more performance out of their mobile GPUs. I know there is a lot of topics on the web talking about this issue and how bad it is for notebook users.

11. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    The only response I got on the geforce forum was from some knowitall telling me what I did just breaks the driver and stops everything working.

wasn't even a mobile user, mades his response even more pointless.

sigh, you try and help and no one says thanks it worked, or it didn't.

guess no one games on laptops, which i find hard to believe.
    I did have a desktop pc but i find having a laptop much more convenient and less of a hassle to maintain.

12. JaaritLal

JaaritLal Guest

GPU:
    GT 840M
    I registered in this forum, just for this thread. I am searching for this solution for many many months, since release of 347.09. I will definitely test in my Laptop. @OP, thank you very much for this finding. Also, do you have any idea how to install Desktop gfx driver for mobile card ? (I m talking about modding desktop drivers )

13. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    you need to visit laptopvideo2go, they have modded inf's for nearlly all the nvidia drivers.
    they also provide downloads of each new driver (the modded inf's are always seperate)

a great source for geforce drivers :)

14. JaaritLal

JaaritLal Guest

GPU:
    GT 840M
    can you please give a link to that dll file ? I can not download the whole driver package of 346.xx. BEcause, i tried to replace by 344.80, but it is not working

15. royalclown

royalclown Guest

GPU:
    GTX860M@1155/3000
    thanks a lot for the info. i can finnaly oc my 860m with the latest driver. i've uploaded the both the sys and sy_ files. download sy_ here or the sys here. only difference is if u want to reinstall your driver you can just extract the installer and overwrite the sy_ file in Display.Driver folder with the one i uploaded and install the driver after. if u already have a driver installed you can overwrite the sys file in system32/drivers

16. JaaritLal

JaaritLal Guest

GPU:
    GT 840M
    Thanks a lot for sharing the sys files :) I have successfully oc ed 840m.

17. JaaritLal

JaaritLal Guest

GPU:
    GT 840M
    There is a catch though. See the driver versions in both window .
    snag.gy/rwAN8.jpg

18. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Just replacing the sys file works perfectly with the 347.25
    No need to disable driver signature enforcement under Windows 8.1
    Everything else seems to be ok so far

EDIT:

Using MSI Afterburner to overclock, and its working for both GPU and memory overclock. So your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  19. royalclown

royalclown Guest

GPU:
    GTX860M@1155/3000
    im using nvidia inspector so i guess it works with any overclocking utility

20. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    I used ntune because of the convenience of having overclocking in the nvidia control panel.

nvidia inspector doesn't work very well on my system, it always looses the set clocks when i close the app and sometimes it crashes on loading with some memory error.

I don't like after burner, it just seems tacky with it's fancy skins. I'd rather have a standard windows type gui with just overclocking, plus it wouldn't let me set voltages.

inspector does though.