HP laptop 6470m - no working drivers except old 13.4

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Kharnak, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    I have a HP laptop with a 6470M GPU and a Corei5-2430m with intel iGPU.

Installing the newest 14.12 leshcat drivers simply reboots windows into a permanent blackscreen, but with moving mouse disappearing/reappearing. (stock AMD drivers wont even install)
    Used DDU in safe mode and everything, also tried just normal installs.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping performance on the newer drivers will help a little with game performance... I can run Diablo 3 "okay" at 20-40fps average with all low at 1280x720. But other more demanding games, no...

You can see why I want to try the latest drivers, yeah? :bang:

Thanks

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    That card is rated somewhat weaker than the HD 6620G in my A8-3500M APU equipped laptop. I have found that the best driver for mine is, in fact, the 13.4 and that very well may be the case for yours. I would doubt that newer drivers would help at all and may even be worse.

3. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    I'm able to overclock mine from a stock 700/900 to 900/1150, helped massively in all games, + my CPU is constantly turbo'd to 2.993 GHz, pretty good for a HP laptop I bought for 100 usd

I can doubt too, but the only legit way of knowing is to try, right?
    I see a bunch of posts saying "this update increased x game by 5fps" and it's not even in the patch notes.
    So I guess that's my hope for this laptop GPU aswell, but it's a jump from 13.4 to 14.12+.. so there's bound to be more than just one or two updates relevant to me :)

Leshcat drivers will install and pop up with no errors at all, it's only upon boot of Windows that it goes blackscreen, with a moving mouse cursor.

oh, also, when I say "upon boot" I mean, after the Windows loading screen, like, right after all the drivers get loaded etc it goes black.

Thanks for the help so far, I might just have to stick with 13.4... but I am fairly sure someone genius on this forum will know exactly what to do!

4. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Strange.

You have tried UnifL 14.4 2.2?

The important part is to install the Intel driver as it contains part of the switching fixes.

5. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    I have tried installing 13.4 and then only installing the updated AMD driver

I have tried installing all of leshcat drivers separately

I have tried with DDU inbetween

I wish I knew how to modify the driver so the part that ****s it up for me can be removed :(

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I said "may even be worse" because on my laptop, they are. 13.4 works and performs the best. New drivers are always primarily focused on improving performance of the latest cards and in many cases, do nothing for or even degrade performance on older hardware. I'm using an APU without a dedicated card so it might be different for your setup but I would tend to doubt it. I never overclock anything either and never use any of the utilities that are popular here so that could be a factor.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  7. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Looks like I found the issue on the 14.12 drivers.

Included is an MS fix on the Intel side of the drivers which addresses a standby issue.

"This issue occurs because the AMD driver does not support Runtime Power Management (RTPM), but the Intel driver does support RTPM."

However some laptops seem to get a blackscreen and white mouse instead. (few rare case it seems).

Simply use the official Intel 3517 driver + UnifL 14.12.

Hopefully that combination will work

8. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF

It seems to have worked!

No blackscreen or anything now, but.... I can't overclock anymore, with Afterburner.

Another problem for another day :)

9. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Use MSI Afterburner! :)

The trick is to Alt TAB out of the game and only THEN start Afterburner...

That is the way it works now. It has to "lock" to the AMD card.

This is caused my AMDs removal of fixed switching + forcing all devices to dynamic switching.

10. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    Ah fek, I thought it worked, didn't actually even try opening a game, but the driver DID install properly.

It just wont launch anything, back to 13.4 it seems, didnt have the time to troubleshoot :(