grapic card noise coil whine during game startup

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ron7000, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ron7000

ron7000 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G GTX970
    using msi gtx970 4g, default settings and playing far cry 4.
    during normal game play everything is fine and quiet.
    when the game starts up and shows the 10 seconds or so of video, like the ubisoft logo and then the red and blue elephant tiger thing, i hear a high pitched sort of whine coming from the computer. i assume to be coming from the graphics card. is this the "coil whine" that was talked about? is it hurting anything? and was there some app that limits frame rates to a specified amount to stop that noise?

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    If the game is running fine and quiet then you should be good.

The reason for the "coil whine" at the start is because its running at a high frame rate. The talked about coil whine that people mention is the one they hear during regular use, most of the time after long use the noise is reduced but in some cases there are cards that are just plain loud and annoying.

V-sync limits high frame rates and what not but if you hear it only at the intro then theres nothing to worry about.

3. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
  4. fisher6

fisher6 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GTX 4GB
    Had the exact same problem. Only when far cry 4 is starting. Mostly when the screen is dark or black. I think it stopped eventually.

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    I haven't any problem form the first time I run this game, though I capped it (with RTSS or/and Inspector) before run it so it's high fps for sure. Use fps limiter.

6. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    insulate the l_bracket of your sound card from the case(electrical tape) for a temp fix
    it's a ground loop

7. ron7000

ron7000 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G GTX970
    i used nvidia inspector and limited the frame rate to 58, and now there is no noise during game startup.

thanks.

8. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    I'm on my second GTX 970 coil whine I'm starting to think its a feature. I've noticed when using MPC-HC now and it varies in games spoken with EVGA about it they offered to enable me to step up again or RMA so I'm gonna move to a 980.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015