To Refund Or Not GTX 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Daftshadow, Jan 27, 2015.

1. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I wouldn't return my card OP.

970 all the way for me, not only is it performing the same today as the day I bought it, besides these recent revelations, it runs cool, quiet and efficient.

That's a bigger draw for me than the segmented half gig is a put off.

It's still a great card, I rate in my fave cards I've owned and that's saying something as that group includes the GF 4 ti 200.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    One reason I'm not upset over this is that GPUs are rapid turnover parts, where in 12-18 months I will probably upgrade anyway. Futureproofing? Laughable term in this business imo. Aside from that, I dont give a flying f what Nvidia did, even if they were dishonest about the issue. I mean its not like I was ripped off in a $20,000 car deal which may trouble me on a bigger scale. Its a modest $350 card that still runs beautifully on 1440p for me, even if it may be 3.5gb vram thats nothing to work my nerves or emotions over. I have bought many things in my life that I have felt regret for, this is not one of them.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Instead of going to 290x keep it. If you refund it and go for the next 8GB 980 or 390x then do it. The truth hurts but that's it. You will regret anything else but what I wrote as choices.

4. Quadrado

Quadrado Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    if 3.5gb is enough for you then fine but if not then return.
    my ideal gta5 /witcher3 gaming rig would sport x2 780 6gb.
    i like 32xQ csaa also in movies and as far as i can tell maxwell can't do csaa.

5. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    :)

Hmm what to do.. man this is hard.. answer the OP or go with the flow...

OP.. keep the card. My 2560 monitor pushes the card (vram) even more then your 1080 and still my card has no problems.

In truth these cards are made for higher resolutions so a 980 would be over kill on a 1080 monitor unless you just want it. AMD are great cards for me there run way to hot and loud.

Please dont get sucked all this vram and crap. Yes NV goofed up with what the card really had (specs). I never saw it nor did thousands of others. There is nothing wrong with the cards.

6. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I'm sweating buckets over sound these days.

To the point I'm considering selling my PC/components for a set up of separates.

NOT!

:banana:

7. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  8. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    I've change an Asus R9 290oc for my new Asus gtx970 an i dont regret my move memory problem or not.

The card is cooler, more silent, give a very good performance,and all the game i have try run smoother than r 290.

So for me a refund and go for a 290 or 290x no way.

Thats a great card and i enjoy it

PS: I play in 1080p

9. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I think ppl want to just get some freebies out of this fiasco.

Well if you look at the choices and the options you have now. GTX 970 with this performance and at this price i don't think anything from AMD currently can match up to GTX 970 at the same price with the same performance or better. Then again the issue is with nvidia and the only thing better than a gtx970 currently is a 980 so leave amd out of the equation totally. Nvidia probably isn't going to do much about this fiasco at all and the issue would probably be left to distributors and retailers to handle but seriously other than the 980gtx what gfx card is better than a 970 gtx?

I just causally search up on the 290 amd vs and 970 gtx and the 970 gtx is better than the 290.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Nvidia isn't going to do anything about it. You as a consumer will be left to deal with the distributor or the retailer that you purchased your gtx970 from. Some are good they let you choose the amd 290 which doesn't sound really good. If you want the gtx980 nope they won't let you have that for free you need to pay more in which case you should have bought the gtx980 in the first place.

10. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    the shader, bus width, ROps/TMUs from AMD is more so that they draw more power than NVIDIA?

11. blackweb

blackweb New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 260 216 SO
    I have had issues with the GTX 970 with Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR). I had to turn it off.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    1440p high and ultra test.
    The game hits around 3.8GB of my cards memory, no big issues with that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8WlyrdkloQ

Same goes for SoM, no stuttering at Ultra.

@blackweb
    I think DSR is bugged in general, I found it looking more bad than good, to blurry, it also can't take GUI elements into account for quite some games, so many of them end up with unreadable small letters.
    The people who make their own custom resolution and proper down-sampling also say that DSR is crap compared to.

13. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Dunno about the bugged issue and what that means, but you can change the blur/sharp balance by changing the DSR Smooth value that is basically a blur filter from your control panel

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Still doesn't look sharp enough for my liking.

15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    You could try degosato. You know, the thing nvidia ripped off? :p
    Has some filter options as well.