4790K with GTX 770 issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Omegadash, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Hi, sorry first time poster and long time lurker really seeking advice.
    I recently upgraded to a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and a i7 4790K.

I already had a Gigabyte GTX770 and a Silverstone 600W with 12V 42A.

The PC tends to crash under load. BSOD when playing games or reaching high loads. OCCT states CPU core errors or just plain errors during the Power Supply test and CPU tests. 3DMark 2013 never completes, it just stops with an error during one of the later test runs.

I've tried using the onboard GPU and it seems stable as a rock. Is my PSU lacking? It seems like the issues are mostly related to the GPU. I've been searching for answers over the last two days and can't come to any solution.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking of buying a Cooler Master GX2 Pro 750W tomorrow, just want to know if it's a waste of time or not to improve my PSU.

Thanks!

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Are you overclocking? Prior to my EVGA I had a 650 watt BFG PSU with the CPU and GPU overclocked and everything was fine. 600 is cutting it close but it should work

3. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    I have turboboost on and my GPU is considered an OC version :p

4. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Just a quick update....

I've upgraded to a Cooler Master G750M PSU now and still encountering the same issues. I've ran Memtest on both of my RAM modules with no issues. Running OCCT GPU test seems quite stable. So it's starting to feel like a CPU or Motherboard issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. Quadrado

Quadrado Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    give your cpu more volts, do it manually if you have to.
    also make sure you have latest version of mobo bios.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Disable the "Enhanced Turbo" setting. If that's not what it's called, I'll go check and see what the exact name of it is.

8. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Thanks for the responses. BIOS is on the latest. Still has issues with Turboboost off. What voltage should I put it on? It seems unstable now with the onboard GPU as well. Starting to feel like I should just RMA the board and CPU.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    A good rule of thumb is that if the CPU boots up and runs, then it's not defective. I'd be looking at a defective board. Did you make sure to take proper ESD precautions when installing it?

10. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Thanks. Yes good ESD prevention. Could it be possible that the CPU is poorly seated? Also what is a good core voltage to run stock with turboboost?

11. Quadrado

Quadrado Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    perhaps 1.28v , then perhaps lower it a bit if you have stability.
    the cpu will be seated fine.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No, it's not possible. It's either in and working, or it isn't. Unless there's thermal paste on the pins or something weird like that, then your mileage may vary.

And a "good core voltage" varies wildly with devil's canyon. What's good for me may not be for you. You can take a guess given the stock VID but there's no guarantees. Auto voltage should be fine in 99% of cases, although you can try increasing it to 1.25V and seeing if the problem goes away.

13. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Would it be normal though to have to adjust voltages on a CPU out of the box even if you're not overclocking?

I saw a thread on the MSI forums for someone who's been having all the same issues as me on the same board, the eventual solution was his RAM not being compatible with the motherboard.

So now I'm uncertain on whether I should RMA or buy new RAM.

14. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Alright so I got replacement parts and the CPU is running a lot cooler and stable. I seem to be getting System Service Exception during some games and OCCT keeps stopping due to an error during the power supply test. GPU and CPU tests are stable though. Any suggestions? Thanks!

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    bsod 0x3F, 0x3B?

Download whocrashed and press scan, scroll bellow to see

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Either of those is input voltage too low, or system ram issue (voltage, timings), or even cpu system agent voltage too low (VCCSA)..

16. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    It's 0x3b, does that narrow it down?
    Thanks for the response

17. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    My RAM voltage is 1.5V and my timings are correct.

I can't seem to find VCCSA in my BIOS but what do you recommend I set it to once I do?

WhoCrashedMe says it's driver related but I tried downgrading using DDU and I still get the error. I had no issues with this driver on my previous build.

On Fri 06/02/2015 21:23:25 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020715-30825-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x19C3B0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88004A7B3B0, 0xFFFFF88007EB5140, 0x0)
    Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.25
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.25
    Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.25 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

18. Omegadash

Omegadash Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 2GB
    Well it seems like it was a RAM compatability issue. Replaced my RAM with a single Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB stick and now it's rock solid stable. Thanks for all the responses!