970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aoyagi

Aoyagi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
    No, just short memory, as you suggested earlier. Which is why I keep notes of things like that and this one is missing. And yes, I don't read or care that much about mobile graphics. Searches came up with nothing though, do you have a link of sorts?

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i need to ask.. are u trying to justify nvidia ?

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, not at all. need to ask... do you disagree with my post? did reviewers get bad rep?

Nvidia did bad here, no doubt. mistake or not, they messed up. but some of the nonsense on here is beyond a joke.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    tbh after 4 months and non of them saw this issue.. now that is something that i don't understand at all..

by that point of view and assumption even HH should be bashed because of it

p,s because this is nvidia and they do have ****ty fraudulent practices i would not be surprised that they did this on purpose, because they had 4 months to clear this up, but they did it only after andantech expose them.. so i think they knew and ripped ppl off

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    glad we see eye to eye on this. that being said, it could have been a mistake. I really don't see why nvidia would hide the number of rops. then again, I can see why they would want to hide how the vram is handled. even then, I would still have bought the 970. it's £200 cheaper than the 980 and performs really good and scales up nicely with the 980 even at 4k gaming so I really don't see an issue. These 4k reviews were there at launch btw, people could see how well these cards cope at that res, well, they cope with it almost as good as the 980, which is still not good enough, but there's no dramatic drop offs anywhere to be seen.

6. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    that is not the point tbh.. it is the principle of it.. nvidia should be sued because of this business practice.. to hell with fps if nvidia takes u for a fool and gives u a product that is not as advertised

7. jode67

jode67 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    the whole problem is that many of us were mislead by the spec's of the card. nvidia has done this before and did nothing to fix for the price that I paid to have said features.

I will admit that nvidia cards tend to perform a bit better. But that doesnt give them the right to take advantage of me and do nothing to fix the issues.

As it stands I have a card that is not as represented and feel that something should be done to rectify that

8. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I agree 100% with you. :)

9. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury

Fixed. Would've been good PR if they did offer that and burn the 970 cards as a PR stunt.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nvidia can always reissue a pullback of all the cards (Nvidia covers the costs ofc.)?
    Seen it happen with cars quite a few times (forced even), so shouldn't be an issue for graphic cards either.
    I guessed that they would let retailers now that all returned GTX970's will be covered, since it is Nvidia that has messed up.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Must have missed that. A lot of pages to go through. What happened?

12. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    I think you guys killed him with off-topics.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...faulty-processor-suit-dell-hp-compaq-mac.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370032,00.asp

There's 2 of the articles. There are a lot of articles posted as late as 2010 regarding this suit.

Agreed.

If NVidia were to recall the cards, that'd be a different issue. NVidia would have to do something to compensate all involved for the recall.

I only saw a couple of the posts. Didn't really pay much attention to the contents of the posts themselves. At this point, I expect NVidia to be in full defense mode, trying to protect themselves in any way possible.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just pondering..
    How much does all of this affect the same cards just with different memory chips, Hynix and Samsung?
    The one with Hynix should drop more than the one with Samsung when they are clocked equally cause of Samsung's tighter timings, right?

15. ReloadAO

ReloadAO Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I'm going to make exception to your question. After this post I’m not going to answer anything else in this thread.(I’m not participating in flame wars)

Let’s imagine you are a company producing GPUs. What your main marketing is, are reviews.
    So what I would do is take a generic review of every website I’m in contact and do these test on new GPU that I want to put on market. If no issues are found in the review I can hide ANYTHING especially HW flaws.

Why loose of credibility? I expect from sites like guru3d, anandtech, tomsHW, techspot, OC etc etc etc… to find it, not really exact problem, but to find that something is WRONG. That there might be hidden problem. This is a big marketing. Money talks. Maybe you would buy the card either way, but can u say the same for others…NO!
    If any of 970 owner will have glitches or game problems, there always will be a question what IF.

What could reviewers take from this, is not only do same generic tests every time, but do some more extensive testing, at least with stock units.

16. Aoyagi

Aoyagi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
    Thanks o/

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    How could reviewers have tested upon something that they did not know about?
    Heck, it even took the gaming community some months before they found out that something was wrong.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I cry myself to sleep every night over 3gb of vram.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Cryin' won't help you ^^

20. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Looks like people are returning them, may be an ideal time to grab a B Stock/Open Box card ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.