So, where's the Windows 10 Tech Preview driver?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Espionage724, Jan 23, 2015.

1. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Nvidia will support DX12 on hardware as old as Fermi. DX11 (circa Geforce 400)

AMD will not support 2 generations of DX11 GPUs. 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx (Rebrands)

I am not sure why you are wondering about DX10.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The comment about Nvidia DX10 was mostly made because Nvidia does support their older cards for quite long, even the Geforce 6 series got an official driver for Windows 8.0

3. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Fair point! I have the same experience on an older Geforce 8600M GS which came out in 2007 for Vista and is a DX10 card.

They supported it until summer last year I see and will be providing bug fixes until April 2016....

Seeing how 8.1 had a major graphics backend revision .. and something similar but less drastic might happen now...

Chances are the card will still work.

4. Cold_Burn

Cold_Burn Guest

GPU:
    CF Sapphire 2x6870 1GB
    April 1 --> April Fools' Day :)

5. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Yeah and then they will expand support by another few years ;)

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think it is fine that amd delivered legacy up to hd2000 series. No need to deliver for that older. And even if nvidia gives legacy drivers those drivers do not bring anything to the table except really basic support.

But yes omega drivers were latest drivers from amd, from 5000 series upwards. Now if amd will or will not release "proper" drivers from 5000 upwards for windows 10 we will see.

7. Omicron

Omicron Guest

GPU:
    HD 5770 cuCore
    I really hope they keep delivering drivers for the 5xxx, my HD5770 can still play BF4 on high preset at 1080p so no reason to upgrade

8. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Whilst Desktop cards might still work it is indeed a sad situation for the HD 5xxx Mobility cards not working and crashing before Windows can even boot.

I guess it might be too much to ask to give support for DX12 to all DX11 cards like Nvidia has done .. but at the very least AMD should fix the Mobility cards which are proving to be non working.

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    It's probable that AMD's HD 5000/6000 series actually don't fulfill the requirements for DX12 though. The architecture used for the HD 5000/6000 and 7000 series are very different, whereas all Nvidia's DX11 GPUs (along with AMD's GCN architecture) apparently are quite similar

Even if the HD 5000 and 6000 series are moved to legacy status once Windows 10 releases however, they will probably get an official driver for it. AMD's DX9 GPUs has an official driver for Windows 7, and their DX10/10.1 GPUs got one for Windows 8.0 despite its legacy status (although not for 8.1)

10. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Well this is the interesting aspect of it. All I know from AMD marketing is that AMD moved from the "VLIW SIMD architecture / TeraScale to a RISC SIMD architecture /GCN (starting with HD 7000). DX12 is for CGN only.

I am not really concerned but rather impressed that Nvidia manages to provide DirectX12 to products going all the way back to 2010. (HD 5000 era) That is a full 2 years of products with more support than AMD.

Surely Nvidia wasn't riding out a single piece or architecture for such a long time without making some grandiose changes. However I really am curious on what the limitations are of VLIW in terms of DX12.

Hopefully they will fix this BSOD/bootloop bug prior to releasing a final driver for Windows 10. It would be a great shame if older laptop users couldn't take advantage of the free Windows offer.

Windows 8.1 was special ; ). To be honest a huge improvement in my eyes on what MS did there to the graphics driver backend.

There also aren't many places for mobility users to have a voice in matters which makes things a bit harder than they should be.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Most of the fancy function of Mantle/DX12 require dynamic shader allocation.

That doesnt exsist prior to 7xxx which is why they cant be supported for DX12.

Nvidia has the same problem prior to Fermi.

Im sure 5xxx and 6xxx will get a win10 driver, but it wont be able to run dx12 feature level..

Wddm 1.3 should work just fine in win10

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Even with the new kernel version, does the Windows 8.1 drivers work with the Tech preview?

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I do not think those old nvidia products really "support" dx12 in a real sense. Cause only cards fully dx12 are 980 and 970 and 960.

14. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    7xx will as will

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Microsoft hasn't revealed all new features in DX12 yet. There's no guarantee any current card will support all new features.

16. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Yes, they do. I have a dual boot system with Win 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926, and I'm using Catalyst Omega 14.12 on both of them without any problems, at least as far as I've been able to test so far.

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Yep, no (real) issues here.

On my desktop, there wasn't any issue with driver installation. Eyefinity with bezel compensation acted strange at first, but on an OS reinstall; I didn't see the same oddity; so I have no idea what was up before.

On my laptop; UEFI is broken in some way in the new 9926 build, and drivers with switchable graphics hardware doesn't seem to work too well. If you do a Legacy boot install though, driver installation is flawless.

18. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Hopefully that is the way it will work out. Maybe the next AMD drivers and Windows 10 builds will show greater promise for Mobility HD 5000.

19. ShinKuro

ShinKuro Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960M
    Switchable graphics are working on my side, but it might be cause I disabled UEFI ages ago. The option is missing from the desktop's context menu, but is still present in the CCC.

My only issue so far is the invisible "close" button for the modern UI apps (appeared since the 1st preview build), but it might be caused by the Intel HD drivers instead.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Everything from Fermi and GCN on will support DX12 just fine. What DX12 really brings is resource control and overhead reduction.

EDIT: Even the ****ty Intel Integrated Graphics support DX12.