"Sorry, the fan speed curve you've defined doesn't appear to be valid!"

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by muxalot, Jan 24, 2015.

1. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    Bypass for "Sorry, the fan speed curve you've defined doesn't appear to be valid!"?

I was wondering if maybe we could get an advanced fan control toggle to bypass this safety check? I want to hit the fan hard when the GPU becomes active then pull it back to the proper level.

The reason is my GPU is sensitive to rapid temperature change and this would allow me to further smooth out the transition from idle to active.

And while I'm writing... thanks for such great software. :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    How would you achieve "hitting the fan hard when the GPU becomes active ",
    and how would this custom curve of yours look like?

I don't see how bypassing check for nonsense-curve would help you...

3. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    I need 5 posts to be able to post images... one sec, will explain next post...

4. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    My current curve looks like this... I've basically got 3 states: idle, load, and overheating:

[​IMG]

This works really well and has eliminated 99% of the driver crashes I was getting when transitioning from idle to load state. But if I could run the fan faster right at the beginning of the transition I could further smooth out the temperature change... I want to set it something like this:

[​IMG]

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    A curve like that would probably kill your fan when temps are fluctuating between 70 and 77 degrees. Especially around around 71 degrees or so (can't really see that), ramp up, ramp down, up again and so on.

6. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    I don't think it would be a problem. I just want give it a quick blast when I'm entering the load state. I basically have 2 fan speeds that hold the card at two very different temperatures.

The card idles around 70C. The only time it goes over 72C is when its under load... then it has problems over ~88C.

Under load the fan at 33% holds 82-83C. I could let it run hotter, something like ~25% @ 85C but that doesn't work unless I can give it some extra fan while it ramps up.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    70C Idle temps? Uhhh, you have other problems mate.

8. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    What's the problem?

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Are you talking about 70 Celsius? Because thats not normal, not at all. My 6850 CFX hit that on load because they both were stacked in a crammed case.

10. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    I've got the fan down as low as it'll go. Holding the temp lower is pointless since this card only gives me problems when it goes from from cold to hot. The heatsink is probably a little dusty though, it has been running 24/7 for over 3 years. ;)

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Uh... you are cooking your GPU just nicely at 80+C while your fan sits happily at 33%

You have 6870, not 95 Celsius happy R9 290/X; and a weird one at that - that idles at 70 C. I dont think you should be sparing those fans too much.

PS fans jumping from 10 to 70% is not very healthy either

Thats without going into your curve which is disaster in itself xD, particularly if one remembers that your GPU idles at 70C

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  12. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    I'm not worried about the temperature at all. Its 3.5 years old and spent most of it's life mining bitcoins at 85C no problem. The curve I use has virtually cured the only problem I was having with it... I just know I could tweak it a little more if the software would let me.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You do realize that if this curve was possible you would end up running 33% (desktop) or 100% fans.

So why not make such curve. There is little point in having that 10% fans setting if you are idling at 70C and therefore you are guaranteed to end up with 33% fans even at desktop.

I get why you are trying with that 70C/70% point, but you might want to check hysteresis setting instead.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  14. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870

I don't think you're reading the curve correctly. Right now it works like this:

0-71= 10% (sits here all day)
    72-83 = 33% (playing a game)
    >84 = ->100% (never really happens)

My new curve would go something like:
    0-71= 10%
    72-75=70% (burst of cooling so that the transition takes longer - impossible because of the safety check)
    76-85 = 25%
    >86 = ->100%

Hysteresis just keeps your fan from bouncing up and down, it won't help with what I want to do.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    OK and when you exit the game, it would once more have to propel itself from 25% to 70% just for the heck of it xD

But I still don't quite understand why would 25% be OK for 76-85C, but you want 70% once game starts loading.
    What would happen if you just had 72-85 = 25%

16. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    I know there would be a second burst on the way back down.. but that won't hurt anything.

The card is perfectly stable at idle and at load.. the only issue is when you quickly go from cold to hot (like the first time you start a game). Like I said, the curve I have mostly fixed it, it used it happen very often. Now it happens pretty rarely.

I think with the new curve I could hopefully fix the issue completely and also get away with a lower under load fan speed... which would be nice because it's quieter.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Create two profiles. One with Fan set to Auto, and 2nd one with Fan set to 70%.

Assign appropriate shortcuts.
    Press shortcut 2 when entering the game, press shortcut for profile 1 later on.

18. muxalot

muxalot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD 6870
    Great idea (why didn't I think of that?). Thanks.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    :)
    sure thing

20. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I strongly recommend to clean the heatsink and airpipes of your gpu cooling system!
    3 years 24/7 and not one serious cleaning? outch!

Every time my gpu goes over 50°C at idle i know it's time to clean again. After that idle temp is under 40°C with 0% Fan