Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

For now. Was reported that more cards will get compatibility later on.

If I heard right, there's some kind of special hardware for handling the scaling or something present on currently supported cards, but I have no idea if that's the case or what.

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I really hope 7900 cards get supported too later on.

But i highly doubt that.

3. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    It worked fine when there was custom resolution option available back up until some 11.xx version came out when they removed it. Granted, VSR is more user friendly, but users that will want to use VSR would probably have no problem using custom res or some other tools that worked back then.

imho, AMD marketing trick, trying to boost 285 and 290 sales, nothing else. I hope I am wrong and that they haven't stooped so low.

4. ezbluntz

ezbluntz Guest

GPU:
    amd hd 6570 1024
    Hi I have followed this instruction and achieved res of 2720x1514 @ 60 Hz, what I wanna know is ,can I modify the Hz to any value in the registry entry or does it have to stay at my native res wich is 60Hz.?

5. ezbluntz

ezbluntz Guest

GPU:
    amd hd 6570 1024
    Please help!!!!

1920x1080 @ 2720x1530

Width = A0 0A
    Height = FA 05
    HTotal = 20 08
    HSyncStart = 30
    HSyncWidth = 20
    VTotal = 57 04
    VDisplay = 38 04
    VSyncWidth = 05
    PixelClock = E0 22 02
    can anyone give me the hex values needed to run 1920x1080 @ 3840x2160-60hz please!!!
    I am willing to make donation.
    the above res works perfectly @ 60 hz...but I would like to run 1920x1080 @3840x2160 thanks guys.

6. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    You can always get the numbers in windows calculator (in programmer mode) by inputting dec values and then switching to hex. Just remember that in regedit you have to enter hex values backwards, so for example 0F 00 (3840 in dec) should be inputted as 00 0F.
    But speaking of 3840x2160, last time i checked anything above 1530p (or 2048p for 5:4) doesn't work on GCN cards ATM, but you can still try with your 6570 though, or just use Gedosato.

7. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    hz dont matter, its the pixel clock that controls that stuff, for example my monitor support 144hz and downsampled only goes to 110hz @ 2720x1530. If anyone know how to downsample 4k or higher on amd 7900 cards please post

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    This really isn't the way we are supposed to be able to downsample. It's archaic registry hack, not intuitive and probably far from safe and definitely not user friendly.

The way it should be done is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTszNDyuAhg

but AMD doesn't care, even VSR is reserved for top end cards only with (probably empty) promise to come to cheaper cards.

sigh.

9. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    But that's been the AMD way for a long time, look at the way they are still re-badging old cards with new names (R280X) to confuse people. And you have more chance of getting VSR than me, even though my card is faster it's actually older technology.

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    older but better....not the point, VSR is just auto-make-downsampling, nothing more. Cards are good and fast, too bad that AMD choose this road, it's just pointless. Average Joe doesn't care for VSR, probably wont open CCC more than twice in his life, but more advanced users will want more freedom and choices. Personally, I will go with nV again. Slower card for the money that could get me faster radeon but I get a premium service compared to this...

11. griffz

griffz Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    AMD lose the ball since last years. CFX sucks , execpt for benchmark app and dice engine.
    nvidia raped mantle with DX11 cpu optimization.

amd is clueless now

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    uh huh, sure.

You keep believing that.

lol

Obvious troll is Obvious.

13. griffz

griffz Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    the only working game with my 7850 crossfire are BF3 / BF4. :puke2:
    everyother title suffer from graphics glitch to horrible framerate stuttering.

ps: benchmark works great ...

14. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Stop spreading FUD and turn down your settings - a dual midrange setup isn't all that powerful. I had a dual 7850 setup until a couple weeks ago and it did fine for every game that I threw at it once I tuned the settings. You just cannot expect midrange crossfire to get you ultra settings in everything.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Sorry but not sorry. Learn to properly use your setup or sell it.
    I have used HD 7850 2gb crossfire in 2014, and HD 7950 crossfire since 2014.
    No stuttering at all. Only time I didnt have crossfire profile was in Hardline beta and using bf4 profile worked.
    Do some research and stop acting like AMD stole from you.

Not 1 problem with crossfire and I run 4 monitors.

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Smdh, nvidia did the same exact thing when they debuted DSR as well.
    Now we will all agree about AMD sucking making arse with no custom resolutions that can be made at driver level like nvidia.

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    We need to make an official petition from community to AMD regarding custom resolutions and downsampling...like I suggested in this thread over a year ago :D

To "Red doubters": If I was convinced that Nvidia have better gpu's atm I'd never coming back to "red side". But after over a year of owning an GTX 760 I didn't bought myself a GTX 770 recently...instead I bought myself an r9 280x...after I tested both of them. Currently AMD have one flaw - downsampling (the lack of it). VSR rendering will come I'm sure...like the DSR which is was available only for maxwell at its first release. We also can remind the AMD that such features as downsampling and such (DSR/ VSR or whatever you call it) are absolutely must be present in driver settings...

We need a united community over this matter. And the person who can write it down...the person who freely speaks and thinks in english (as native language). And the people from this forum who gladly (i'm sure of it) sign over this petition...so we can rally the community from over forums and such...to show AMD that we are care about it...

PS. guys...dudes, WE NEED THIS (downsampling) SH@T !!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Is it really necessary to cry every time someone "insults" AMD? He had a bad experience, so what? It's not trolling just because someone doesn't have positive things to say. With that said, this thread isn't the place for random complaints such as that. Please stay on topic.

19. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Is there any way around the black screen issue? Seemed like the resolution works on some games with fullscreen, like FC4 and DA:I even with mantle but on other games like TL2 it shows some random screen, what the ****?

20. Dazza08

Dazza08 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 XT 2GB
    Hey Gals and Guys,

Ive been reading up on downsampling with AMD and I am confused which method/utility still works or which is the best way.

Ive tried using custom resolution utility and that didnt work for me. I used the Java one aswell and that doesnt add any of the resolutions that I try to add.

What is currently the best way to downsample on a monitor with a native/max resolution of 1080p? Or is the whole downsampling without the latest card still very much a mess?

Thanks guys.