GTA V for PC eats away 65GB of storage space

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not all Americans. Just Fox News, Rush Limbaugh etc.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I'm American too. Just because certain people in USA have megalomaniac problems and a lot of firepower they think they own the continent. But that's ok. They use a completely bizarre and non-scientific method for measuring things, it's laughable.

3. Birdyman

Birdyman Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    im more interested when it comes out
    instead of the disk space

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    that's not even remotely logical. Just because you have bad internet (which there will likely be a retail release) doesn't mean game developers shouldn't USE what is AVAILABLE to them. as to storage of a game/item equalling value of said game...what? again, there is no logic in this

Storage is FREELY available, if you choose to put all your games on an SSD and not use a 2nd HDD for games that don't benefit from an SSD, that's your fault. Game developers should use however much space they need to put however much content in their game as they want and NOT HAVE TO COMPRESS SAID CONTENT(lower game quality) because some people seem to think they don't have enough HDD space in a world of 3-5tb harddrives...

5. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I don't have bad internet. I have an incredibly ****ty internet. I didn't say anything about Rockstar, they can drop dead and won't make a difference unless they decide to port RDR. But for 65gb it's better be some French-Revolution-like game, because that's a lot of space that is not free - I have to buy hdd or ssd. And the customer is always right, Titanfall and GTA V can go suck each other dicks. Also I don't like to have a lot of games installed because in the end I never play anything, which is happening right now - these low storage games can go **** themselves too.

edit: 3-5tb is still a distant reality around here. Maybe USA is another world.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This is not true.

7. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Very interesting, I should read newer stuff. But still, I never thought that some areas were deactivated, just didn't work in maximum power.

8. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    65 GB... It must come bundled with its own SSD drive. :D

9. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    Maybe Rockstar has done a titanfall whereby 75% of it is compressed audio.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, nice one. No, really, GTA 5 is gonna be a HUGE cocksucker. :D

Also, remember when using mods such as ENB, texture mods and custom vehicles, you're looking at around 80gb...

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Multi Language Audio Files.

xD

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    True, and I'm already upgrading my internet to 20Mbit for my new rig's downloading of it. Probably let the rig run a night and probably a day afterwards to get everything together. Steam games too...

It's nothing new to use so much data for games, that's true. But the distribution methods start to look lacking, as not everybody has 100Mbit fibre internet, and DVDs are starting to really show their limited capacity... 5 or more discs for a game looks like the limit they had before they went for DVDs after you got 4 CDs for a game back in the day.

13. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    Have a 1TB dedicated for gaming and a 3TB for Storage so i think I'm good for now :)

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, remember the good old days when we had 56k internet and game patches/updates were only several megabytes in size...

However, at the time, demos being 70 or so mb could take several hours due to the slow d/l speed of several kb/s. :D

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    That takes me WAAAAAAAY back to when I was young. I do indeed remember those days fondly, waiting for demos or Runescape (shudders) to load, all while having to make sure I wasn't hogging the phone line when my parents would call home after school to check if I got home safe.

I've been lucky enough to move to an area where I'm now getting 300 down and 50 up, but having been with 56k for almost a decade and horrible ADSL for 8 years after that, I've earned it LOL.

Slightly on topic...I only have 84GB free space on my only SSD right now. Let's say GTAV takes 70GB after the first patch, what exactly happens when an SSD has very little free space? Am I screwed? I still have my 2TB 7200RPM to run stuff on, but it seems like a big game that is open world would like a snappy hard drive.

16. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    2 Hours to download.. Meh xD

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You might see a slight performance decrease (as with less free things to write in, the paralleled writing might start to be limited), and you might find your SSD to have less free, previously not used cells to exchange for failing ones, thus slightly increasing the chance for data corruption.
    But that's very theoretical, if you have the money, just buy another / bigger SSD if you plan on putting GTAV on it. ;)

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  19. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Well until march i will finish Wolfenstein and Rage for sure, so no problem even on my 256GB SSD. But download time bothers me more, even with 100/100 fiber it will take ages, because overloaded servers.

I saw GTA V on PS4 and it looks superb, cant wait.

20. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7900XT
    darn, time to get a new EVO drive