Unwinder: How about ATI 9x00 to FireGL X1? SoftQuadro for ATI?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Spike Lee III, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Sampaio

Sampaio Guest

HEEELP

I just bought a ATI R9500 non pro , in fact it's an excalibur.

it has the memory (4 -all) modules in a row on the top of the processor... can I mod it? Please help!

2. Can someone give me a link to the latest versions of the moddable drivers?

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro which I want to softmod to a FireGL X1 for use in Maya 5.

Thanks in advance,

Monica

EDIT: I have tried to mod the drivers from ati.com and the files the mod requires arent there... I would really appreciate help with this.

3. mindnumb

mindnumb Member

GPU:
    g400/gti200
    Latest moddable drivers

I have successfully modded the 1036 drivers.

I am pretty sure I downloaded them from ati, but now they have replased the old drivers with unified drivers , which rivatuner does not yet support.

here is a link to Dell with drivers that probably will be moddable.

http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/fi...4_650N&lang=EN&lib=6&os=WW1&searchtype=filter

you can allways do a search for firegl drivers, 1036 are the last ones AFAIK

Best of luck.

4. Thanks a lot mindnumb, I modded them and it works perfectly now :)

btw, any idea if/when the unified ones will be moddable?
    What has changed with the new unified drivers?
    is this like the way nvidia does things?

Monica

PS: Maya is awesome with a soft-modded fireGL, nice framerates and sweet sweet h/w anti-aliasing for wireframes and nice h/w renders :) Still no h/w displacement mapping though, oh well :|

5. mindnumb

mindnumb Member

GPU:
    g400/gti200
    Unified drivers...

Do not know when Rivatuner has a new release out, but I suspect he ( unwinder) is a little fed up with the hole thing at the moment.

I myself is using solidworks2003,and the perfomance is really great, but I cant have open more then 4-5 windows/parts/assemblys at the same time, because the performance suddenly drops horribly.

The complexity of the scene does not matter, i have made assemblys with 5000 + parts, no problem, but if I open that one ekstra window to edit a little nut or thingie, system clogs down totally.

Anyone using solidworks with firegl softmod here ?

Glad you could get it working Mon, post some of your work :)

6. I hope the new release will come out pretty soon (if at all), since there are some issues with the soft firegl drivers.

I don't know whether this is a quirk of the drivers generally, or whether its due to the mod, but when using a program like maya (or anything else which uses OpenGL), I cannot have a directx window at the same time (on the same monitor, haven't tried with two yet).

For example, I was creating a 3d scene the other day, like I normally do (ie. without the mod, except everything was more responsive) and I was animating my horse model falling down when running. I decided that a good reference to use for this would be a scene lord of the rings, which I downloaded and played. I tried to go back to maya and then set the media player window on top. Problem is, that if I have an opengl window, and a directx window, the directx window will turn green and have some wierd lines on it.

I know this is not a h/w limitation since I did this many times before without the softmod, but then I couldnt use PFX, Artisan or the h/w render buffer.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on the issue. If you need any more information, like my system config, let me know.

Thanks,

Monica

7. mindnumb

mindnumb Member

GPU:
    g400/gti200
    movie playing.

I have had something like this going on when going dual monitor.

second monitor wont be able to display the movie. If I drag the player window over to the primary display, it shows up fine.

But.... this is not happening with all players, I think maby windows media player handled it ok, but not divx-player... or vice versa.

It might have something to do with the different codecs in use, and if they are using spesific hardware or not. Try a different player, it might be your fix.

Maby we should start a thread about application specific issues and firegl, to see if its related to mod or not. I guess that for the most part the mod should not cause such issues.

Hmm..

Heres a link to Rage 3d, they have a bunch of Radeon related stuff, try and se if you get any hits there.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27

8. I think its a bug in the older drivers. I checked with a friend of mine who has a firegl (real one, not mod'ed or o/c'd), and when he used the 1036 drivers, the same thing happened, and went away with the latest ones.

So we just need to wait for the mod of the new drivers i guess.

Monica

9. Flax

Flax Member

10. Can you please post a link to the h/w mod instructions please?

(I am not certain whether I want to invalidate my warranty just yet, but I may give it a shot)

Thanks,

Monica

11. Flax

Flax Member

I'll try to find it again...
    But I must say tha it's insane! The resistor is about 1 per 1/2 millimeter! And you'll have to update the bios.

Flavio

12. mindnumb

mindnumb Member

GPU:
    g400/gti200
  13. Thanks mindnumb.

I wouldn't really consider the h/w mod seriously, since having dx and ogl active at the same time is quite rare for me... I ripped the movie into tiffs using adobe premiere, and used those as a sequence of image planes. Its easier to match the animation to the movie that way, I would have done that anyway even if I had dx on olg anyway :).

Heh, I even motiontracked the camera like in lotr so i get en even nicer looking scene.

Thanks for pointing out the thread, and I will watch closely for the rc14 release.

Monica

14. YuriM

YuriM Guest

9800PRO -SOFTgl

Hi, all articles are talking about 9700/pro
    what about 9800pro (128Mb). may i make it "FireGl" as well?

15. mindnumb

mindnumb Member

GPU:
    g400/gti200
    9800 ?

Yes I think so.

Try and mod the drivers to Firegl X1

Cant hurt to try it out. Post if you do not know how to do it.
    ( or read the instructions )

Best of luck.

16. YuriM

YuriM Guest

X1 is the same like 9700 but not 9800 vpu??

17. mindnumb

mindnumb Member

GPU:
    g400/gti200
    X1 and 9800

Really not sure , but i guess the number refers to number of pipelines and the x or z behind to memory bandwith

z1 is like the 9500pro

It really does not matter. I guess the core of the 9800 is similar to the 9500 and 9700, but with some added features.

When modding the drivers you probably miss out on the added features, but Im not sure you need them for cad/modeling use.

Look at it this way; the drivers should enable all the features of the firegl x1 on your 9800, because these capabilities lie in the core.

Its not dangerous to test it out, so just go ahead and try it.

Remember to run some benchmarks first to compare.
    the spec viewperf is alll right to test with.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  18. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7300GT
    9800 is like fire gl x2

19. cioruss

cioruss Guest

mindnumb :

i tested it.

9800@fgl x1 mods without problem.

+:
    OpenGl works great.
    q3 1024x768x32 4xfsaa 16xaniso has 60/155 fps (9800/firegl) on my pc (my pc spec has changed, now i have win 2k3).

3ds max: 1.5x faster render in viewports

-:
    Dx works nice, but there is no way to use pixel/vertex shader 2.0 :(
    homeworld 2 demo starts is software mode (sloooow)
    real time hdri renderer program does not start at all (p/v s 2.0 requied)
    3ds max SP1 in dx9 mode: runs faster then ogl (sic!) but i checked it on some simple models only :(.

sorry, no specview to compare...

20. isnogood

isnogood Guest

Make things clear....

I am about to buy a SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9500 128MB DDR+TV+DVI. I cannot understand if I patch the Radeon 9500 to make it a 9700 Pro if I can patch the already patched driver to make it a FireGL of the corresponding 9700 pro .
    Also I read somewhere on the net that there are two PCB boards of Radeon 9500.The one with the memory chips above the GPU (in a straight line) cannot be patched.The memory chips need to be in L shape.Is that true??
    Will I lose the DVI and TV our function if I switch to FireGL?
    P.S. Did anyone ever noticed that OpenGL don't support two monitors???