Your WORST 5 hardware purchases!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by moab600, Nov 13, 2013.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Some ECS motherboard with VIA chipset.
    That motherboard was built just to piss of any computer technician.

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    AMD FX6300, 7870, 5770 crossfire, 6870 crossfire.

Go figure. :p

3. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    A cheap Antec earthwatts power supply. One of the positive wires from the 4-pin CPU plug actually popped out of the plug and landed on the mobo. Fried my board and cpu in an instant.

4. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Edifier DA5000 Pro! Total waste!

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nice thread ressurection.

6. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    80USD corsair headset I got about 2 years ago or so. Damn plastic snapped when I took it off my head one night.

4year old Antec 1000w psu that took out my mobo ram and cpu

7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Ati X1300 Pro - Learned the significance of higher memory bandwidth the hard way, got replaced by a XFX 6600 Ultra.
    MSI 939 socket Motherboard - Change anything in the bios it would refuse to boot.
    OCZ GameXstream 500W PSU - Which was refurbished so I got what I payed for.

8. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    1. Thermaltake Toughpower 750W PSU. Blew and took my motherboard with it. Luckily CPU and GPU were OK.

2. ATI AIW Radeon 9700. Just decided to melt down on it's own after a few months. Replacement from ATI was just as bad. They fixed the issues with 9800.

3. Gigabyte x99 UD5 Wifi. Great piece of hardware, but Gigabyte techies can't write a good bios to save their lives. CPU throttles even when overclocked. Had it set at 4.0 GHZ (mild) and I could watch it run from 1.1 to 4.0, even with C states and EIST disabled. Poor implementation of some really nice hardware.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Eh, it's not a big deal. Gives people who missed it the first time around to contribute. It's a pretty interesting question.

10. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Considering the last post was in 2013, I would say its a pretty good Resurrection.

11. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Asus P5B. Halfass overpriced board that never let me overclock.

12. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Radeon 4870 Crossfire - Spent more time shipping cards in for RMAs than actually using them in Crossfire. Doubly painful in that I got the 512MB variants which were hampered by that fact.

MSI Wind - Honestly, it was just lackluster in every way but the trackpad was absolutely infuriating. Ran Ubuntu 7 and 8 well enough, but the stock Windows XP was so horrendously bad due to stock drivers it was unusable due to the constant blue screens.

Gigabyte motherboards - Can't recall the models, but, over a summer I tried doing multiple builds both AMD and Intel built around Gigabyte boards and all of the boards were defective out of the box. I tried roughly half a dozen models, with some repeats to see if I could get a good board and never had luck. Absolutely burned out from ever owning another Gigabyte motherboard. Had a Gigabyte video card that worked perfectly though, so apparently they can do some things right.

The last several Seagate hard drives - Just, so many failures... Had to replace them all the time yet I kept foolishly buying more. Switched over to Samsung/Hitachi/WD only and have been fine since.

Acer something or another 21" 1680x1050 monitor - Eugh. Sure taught me to never buy TN. Ever. Backlight also went out to top it off. The Dell 2407WFP-HC that replaced it is still going strong after nearly 8 years though, so, good things I suppose.

Bonus round: Logitech G5. Horrible. Awful. Couldn't maintain a charge for even a single day within months of purchase. On both batteries. Replaced it with the G7 wired variant and that still works just fine.

13. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Readers Rigs back in the day (StonerPimp was my old username).
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/readers-rigs-stoner-pimp,1.html

3rd pic down.
    [​IMG]

The power supply, it actually blew up (whilst i was sat beside it) before i had a chance to change it (the readers rig article even pointed out about it being risky) - and it took out almost everything in the PC (only the GPU and HDD survived).

Worst mess-up on a hardware purchase EVER, and back then you didn't win anything from readers rigs (a new PSU would have been great :D).
    ---
    That PSU mess-up is actually the reason i went a little overkill on my current PSU (and good grief at my old cable management! :bang:).

Edit.
    Man its hard to believe back then all that hardware cost me almost £1000, when i build my old PC (my GTX480 system - 4+ years ago) it didn't even cost me over £500 total - it looks totally overpriced and not worth that much (i do miss my chair though :D)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    1. AMD k6 III 450 build due to incompatible chipsets and instruction sets with certain games at the time period due to the motherboard.

2. ATI 9600se Needed a GPU upgrade at the time because of wanting to play Star wars Knights of the old republic. Quickly switched to a fx 5700 ultra card.

3. Generic PSU that came with my P4 rig's case only lasted 6 months. Should have gone with a more reliable brand.

4 creative labs fatal1ty gaming headset one of the biggest pieces of junk head sets that I have ever used. The Mic port died after only 6 months of usage.

15. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    1. Roccat Kulo

What a piece of **** headset that decided to die 2 weeks after I bought it. It just simply stopped giving audio from one side. Tried to return it and they said there's no warranty.

2. A PowerColour 6850.

PowerColour had the worst cooling and lowest clock ever on their 6850's. What made me even more mad is that there's a hardcoded OC limit in the VBIOS itself that prevents you from going any higher than 850mhz.

16. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Dunno... ive been very pleased with the vast majority of my purchases...

Buuuut, what i do regret, is getting the cosmos 2 case, instead of a case with bottom fan intakes, that can actually contribute to the gpu airflow. And i also regret not getting double vram edition of my last 2 gpu purchases, as that would have vastly increased their lifespan, and relevance. And i wasnt exactly pleased with my amd Cards 9800 pro and 850xt, though that was many years ago...

So my list ends up being:

CoolerMaster Cosmos 2
    EVGA 780 ti sc
    MSI 680
    Sapphire x850xt
    Sapphire 9800 pro

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Dont have much to complain about tbh. Fortunately 'missed out' on Nvidias FX series as the Ti4200 I had held me through well enough until the 6600gt. Probably most disappointing card I had was the 7900gt. Served me well for a few months until I noticed white dots on post. Many of these cards were similarly affected due to a bad batch of memory chips. The GTX 470 was my next worst card due to heat and noise. Cant recall any other hardware I had issue with besides some cheap peripherals. Didnt even mind the Pentium Northwood 2.8 I had.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did you have the 128bit version?

@Major Melchett: is that a Xaser II? I had a Xaser III, the thing was built like a tank and about as heavy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Always thought Xasers were cool back in the day. couldn't quite afford/justify them back in the day though. Quite an iconic case though.

20. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Seagate hard drives always had problems with them
    Some NVidia card 5xxx
    Apricot PC long time ago
    Intel overdrive CPU for the Apricot meh waste.
    Some apple computer with a tiny screen all built into the monitor think it was a mac 2 or 2+ god it was a joke getting the hard drive to work.