MSI Afterburner 4.0.0 - Start up on 100% fan speed

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Risen91, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    It doesn't run from start-up (I start manually) and every time I start it for the first time that day it runs the fan instantly at 100%. If I start it, close it down and start it again later that day it runs as normal at about 20% fan speed (what I set it to). I have a custom automatic fan speed, but regardless of if its automatic or a manual set speed it will always start for the first time on 100% fan speed, even if the custom fan speed profile is set at default. After the program has started and has hit maxed fan speed, it slowly comes back down to normal, but that initial instant jump from about 20% to 100% is slightly worrying me.
    Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
    Thanks.

Windows 7
    HD Radeon 6990
    MSI Afterburner 4.0.0.
    Automatic custom fan profile
    5000ms fan update speed

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Search. Keyword is CCC.

4. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    Not sure what you mean, I searched CCC and didn't really find anything related.

Installed 4.1.0 and having the same issue, on first run it instantly spins the fans up to 100% regardless if automatic/manual.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Think Unwinder is suggesting the problem lies with AMD CCC (Catalyst Control Centre)

In which case, I would suggest using DDU in safemode to remove the drivers, then reinstall them in normal mode again, see how you get on after that

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    You don't need to reinstall. CCC is overriding any adjustments you've made in Afterburner. Either disable CCC or introduce a delay to Afterburner startup (so Afterburner overrides CCC):

In MSIAfterburner.cfg (in Afterburner install dir), under [Settings], there is variable "StartupDelay". It sets the delay in milliseconds, so 20000 would mean 20 seconds.

7. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    Adding a startup delay didn't help (it still started at 100% fan speed), but disabling CCC from startup worked.

Thanks for the advice all :)

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If you think at least a bit, you'll understand that adding startup delay to MSI Afterburnef have zero chances to prevent CCC from starting at its own fan speed. It is aimed to ensure that AB starts AFTER CCC, but it physically cannot prevent CCC from starting.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Strange, all the years I've had AMD and used Afterburner, I've never ever seen this issue, always worked fine

10. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    CCC runs on startup, AB I start manually whenever I play a demanding game (CCC never ramps up fan speed enough and I cant create a fan speed profile like I can on AB)

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You got AMD Overdrive enabled in CCC?

Disable that if you're using Afterburner

12. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    No that has always been disabled

13. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    Bad news :( with CCC disabled in startup, AB still hits 100% fan speed when I run it.

14. justaproblem

justaproblem Guest

GPU:
    idk
    Never happened to me before (been using AB for at least 3 years), but yesterday I updated to 4.1 and on today's bootup my PC scared the crap out of me.

15. Risen91

Risen91 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6990
    CCC disabled and this still happens, anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks.