970 not liking Gameworks/PhysX?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skacikpl, Jan 7, 2015.

1. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    More or less, even when i backed down by a GigaHertz the game still crashed the system in the same way, but after an hour.

Judging by the way it reacted to CPU downclock i assume it's connected to the issue, but i am not going to downclock my CPU just for the sake of one game.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can't you just raise the vCore slightly to stabilise it?

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    It is not a matter of voltage stability, all non-nvidia software runs fine, even under heavy CPU load.

I can render a video in sony vegas which utilizes 100% of my cpu for around an hour without any issue, but as soon as i NVIDIA gameworks game starts rendering in 3d it insta BSODs within mere seconds.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Different instructions sets on the CPU are used for different applications/games/programs, I ran P95 for hours 100% stable with an older CPU, loaded up Crysis, instant BSOD

CPU being stable for one thing doesn't necessarily mean it is stable for everything

5. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Well then i bid GG, when literally everything works besides a narrow selection of games which use somewhat recent gameworks libraries.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it was a common problem, we'd be seeing a lot more of these threads

My opinion, your CPU OC is not 100% stable

7. Sampson

Sampson Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 970GTX
    Its got to be the PhysX. Look around online and there's ton of issues surrounding 970 and 980 owners. Even Anandtech had an issue with the Metro: LL benchmark and PhysX with a Zotac 970 (exactly what I have).

I understand in my situation I have a hefty overclock, but then wouldn't it crash just as much, if not MORE often when you put load on the cpu by changing to Physx - cpu?

8. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If I set PhysX to GPU, Metro Redux will crash with "Driver has stopped responding/Has recovered" errors. GTX 980, happens on all drivers.

9. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    No i didn't, i said drivers leave it there, which means that after you uninstall a driver it will remain there, you don't uninstall a driver with DDU, you uninstall it with the nVIDIA uninstaller, DDU doesn't just uninstall drivers. =)

Are you sure you're running your Overclock on forced mode? Some people overclock in adaptive mode, which means the CPU will only get to the set OC when it feels like it needs to, which in theory is good, but it's not because it will cause clock spikes which will result in extra stutters in game and obviously causes instability in the overall process.

I recommend you to follow this Tutorial as it was the only one i've managed to get 4.4Ghz stable and probably more, except i don't have patience to run stress tests for 8 hours each time it decides to BSOD due to bad settings in the BIOS.

4.1Ghz is pretty bad for your CPU, you can achieve better without touching the Vcore, i'm running 4.2Ghz atm because i don't need to touch the Vcore and it's completely stable, no random BSOD even once a week, you should be able to get 4.4Ghz the same way.

If you want more i recommend looking at the Tutorial i already mentioned: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

Before i followed this guide the only way i could get to run at 4.4Ghz or 4.6Ghz was to set the VCore to 1.3 which is pretty high, changing the RAM to 1333 (despite being 2133 but doesn't matter because first i need to get the CPU clocks and voltages stable, then i'll care about the RAM) and CPU Input to 2.0 made an huge difference for me.

To force the CPU to OC at all times, which is recommended for better stability and performance, is to Disable C-States in the BIOS and any other CPU power saving features.

Good games to test OC are Battlefield 3 and 4, Dragon Age Origins also good as it uses the same engine, if i have a bad OC it'll just give me a BSOD after a few minutes.

I still recommend doing tests using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for at least one hour (however even if near stable doesn't mean it will be completely stable, i got a random BSOD one week after, and another a week after because i was lazy to do a 8 hours OC stress test), or the 8 hours if you can.

Anyway i recommend that you try to set to 4.4Ghz and do not touch VCore or ram settings, just disable C States and power saving features of the CPU.

10. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Uh, i'm stuck at 4.1 because if i go any higher, my memory setup gets read errors because it also changes frequency along with CPU.

So i could go for either decent frequency and high timings or lower timings but poor frequencies. I kind of didn't want to bother fine tuning the memory so i just kept my CPU at 4.1 where memory performs without any issues.

//
    It's just various kinds of broken - at stock 3.5GHz LOTF crashed after ~30 minutes of playing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

11. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    What's your memory?

12. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I think i mentioned it few posts earlier
    4 Gigs of G.Skill which are native at 2200Mhz and 8Gb of Corsair (vengeance i believe) which were running at 2000Mhz.

I was stuck with this setup because i wanted to buy more G.Skill, but that particular model got withdrawn so i got some Corsair and kept both till i could afford more of the same from Corsair, but surprise, surprise Corsair also stopped producing the RAM i bought.

I just reflashed my GD-65 to newest bios and now the RAMs are running together at ~1700MHz.

13. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Are you forcing the RAM to run at those speeds?

Did you try to set the cores to 44 (4.4Ghz and no other changes besides disabling Power and C States) like i suggested?

Mine run at 800Mhz with no changes besides CPU being at 42 (4.2Ghz), if i want higher, i'll have to tweak the memory speeds and voltages.

They are 2133Mhz, but to achieve that speed i'll have to force them to run at that speed, or just use a memory profile for high OC, otherwise they won't run that high.

14. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Well, Far Cry 4 works just fine.
    It's either one particular Gameworks feature that causes the issue or newer builds of GW cause those issues.

Also LOTF developers confirmed that they seem to be having more issues with "high end" series cards than with older ones.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/265300/discussions/0/616198623975357565/#c616198623977639443

15. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    There is so much bad information in this thread.

People running bad overclocks and dismissing it as just a few programs crash.

Others suggesting bad ways of overclocking.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    There is no such thing as adaptive overclock, only adaptive voltage but this is not the same.

If you have it OC'ed with turbo, only way now, it will stay at max turbo regardless but only if you run the cpu in Windows high performance power plan.
    By balanced it will use this so called "dynamic - adaptive" turbo frequency overclock. It will lower freq. if its not needed otherwise it will still boost to max available turbo frequency.

17. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    While it's not the correct term, i call it adaptive because it does the EXACT same thing as nVIDIA GPU Adaptive mode, it lowers the clocks when they are not needed to run at high speeds, and raises them when needed, which means it will save energy and that's why you need to disable C States and Intel StepSpeed or it will downclock, it's just not the same thing as running at OC speed at all times, it's not as good performance and it's not as stable.

I can call it Adaptive as much as i want even when people don't use the term, the meaning of the Adaptive in this case can be applied, hell you even have Adaptive Vsync, what does it do? Yeah.

Basically it's like you're telling me Adaptive Performance Mode on nVIDIA CP is also a joke, since it does the same thing.

Not to mention ASUS Ai Suite using Adaptive Mode on the VCore, which i use, but only to control the FANs, no point using that Software for overclock as it's terrible for that.

Adaptive voltage is a terrible way to overclock, another proof of why adaptive is bad in both stability and obviously will impact performance since you can't get it stable.

I'm pretty sure i can't disable Turbo, at least on Haswell.

No it won't, Power Plan doesn't override BIOS settings, rofl.

You NEED to disable C States and StepSpeed or it will downclock not to mention how terrible it is when OC as they are causes of instability.

Example: You can set the CPU to OC to 4.5Ghz for example, if you have C States enabled it will use Turbo to achieve those clocks ONLY when needed, if you disable C States it always runs at that speed.

I have my OC like that, it's always running at 4.2 (i don't go higher because i need to set the Vcore and performance improvements is abysmal), and there's no way Windows Power Plan "Power Saving Mode" will downclock it, same for using High Performance Plan, if it was that simple we wouldn't need to run stress tests for half a day for true stability testing.

No offense but that logic of using Windows Power Plan to force OC is hilarious. xD

Would be better if you actually helped the OP instead of coming here to post... nothing.

Anyway i've posted a link to a proper guide which is what i recommended him to follow to achieve whatever max stable OC his CPU can. :nerd:

18. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Not wanting to flame here, but if I set Power Plan to "performance" it locks at 4.6Ghz and doesn't move, so I think you're not correct EL1TE, sorry. On "balanced" it down clocks as normal.

Voltages go up and down on both plans.

19. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Then there's something wrong with my motherboard or power plan, because i couldn't get it to run at OC clock no matter what before i disabled C states.

Even so Power Plan is bad, because like i said C States are still enabled, go to any overclock forums and they'll just recommend you to disable C States and StepSpeed (Mostly just to disable C States) and a few other things such as Spread Spectrum as they are cause of instability when overclocking.

It doesn't matter what Power Plan you use, it won't disable those features that are cause of instability.

Are you sure you haven't disabled Core Parking and that's what is actually making the CPU run at full speed at all times?

20. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    4690 doesn't have HT so no core parking available