Is My CrossFire Setup Working Correctly? [Basic/Advanced Guide]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by LtMatt81, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Um no it hasn't been removed only the GUI option to disable it has. Otherwise Catalyst AI is still alive and kicking in both the registry and in CCC.
    It uses the CPU to analyze a scene and decide which optimizations to apply and where depending on the TF setting, unless things have changed.

2. Mrwhiterx7

Mrwhiterx7 Guest

GPU:
    3 x Sapphire 290 4gb
    Not sure this is the best spot to ask, but I know Matt plays BF4 with multi gpu sooooooo is Mantle working with multiple 290's now??? :D Not long ago I tried it and got the sadness mega stutter every 5 seconds :(

3. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Yes it does, the Mantle (system) memory leak was fixed. Now it works wonderfully well! :banana:

I captured a brief video (handheld so forgive the terrible quality) of Mantle in action at 4K maximum settings using 4x290X 8GB reference cards.

4. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Hi Matt,

I finally got both my R9 280x's and 1000W PSU, Thanks for this thread as it helped me figure out how to make it work for me.

Every thing is working as advertised :D

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Great to hear and thanks for the update. :)

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I have some concerns about input lag and GPU Usage.

So far it only happened in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare and The Crew.

There is some noticeable input lag with COD and low fps in The Crew with 4x MSAA enabled.
    Or The Crew might be to hefty for my cards with 4x MSAA, cause with one card it crippled my fps in the 20s so crossfire would do 35-40fps so i think it's the games fault/optimization.

What can i do about input lag? that's my biggest concern cause i play shooters where it really matters.

7. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    To reduce input lag disable vsync, triple buffering. If you must use vsync then cap the fps using afterbuner to one below the vsync limit. So if running a 60hz screen cap the fps at 59.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I didn't use vsync, that's why i found it odd when i got crossfire i've gotten bad input lag.

Capping FPS does reduce input lag, don't think i've tried that yet.

9. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    It may be an issue in that game i expect, if it does not occur in other titles. One other thing you can try is using RadeonPro (to apply the fixes mentioned above) and you can also try remove the 'RenderAheadLimit' to 0 or 1.

10. walterg74

walterg74 Guest

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire Tri-X R9 290
    Hi, I just installed my second 290 today.

I will follow this great guide to check my setup,but have three questions:

1) I noticed the latest card has a newer BIOS. I assume yes, but just in case, should I flash the older card? (Or maybe even both to a newer BIOS). Cannot find the BIOS at sapphire's website to download...

2) I enabled crossfire, and also selected the "enable for apps wothout profile.." Checkbox. Now that this mean crossfire will be on all the time??? Or just for 3D apps with/without profiles? And speaking of profiles, where exactly are these shown/listed/downloaded??

3) I have a 3x1 eyefinity setup. I had previously run 1 benchmark (grid autosport) with the one card. Now that I have two I ran it again, and while the avg and max increased significantly (60% and 70% respectively), i notice the MIN dropped quite a bit too... :( Can this be some type of misconfiguration or something else affecting this parameter?

Thanks!!

11. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hi walterg74,

1)You could flash the latest bios, but it is most likely unnecessary. If the card works fine, I'd leave it well alone.

2)This means that Crossfire will be automatically applied using the default profile in the case that a AMD Crossfire profile does not exist within Catalyst Control Center. The default profile should be AFR friendly.

3)Does this happen in other games or just GRID? If it just happens in GRID then it may be an issue relating to this game in particular. Typically you should see minimum fps increase as well, but i don't think GRID is particularly favourable towards Radeon cards in comparison to most other games.

12. walterg74

walterg74 Guest

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire Tri-X R9 290

For 3, not sure, as it-s the only one I had benchmarked after setting up my new PC, and then the second card arrived... Is there a way to disable one of the cards (without actually removing it) to test single card performance and then re/enable it?

I did also check the "display logo" for crossfirex so that does show up telling me crossfire is working (also I assume one only enables that for test purposed, as it's really annoying to have it on-screen constantly).

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Hey Matt, maybe you could help me out.

I have issues with very few games that won't run in real fullscreen, because of that crossfire won't work.

I noticed it when i saw the windows 8.1 volume bar when i'm in-game wich indicates it's not running in real fullscreen but borderless.

And i checked already with game settings and it's not set in borderless.

Though i'm not sure if it's a problem with AMD or Windows 8.1, i checked google and i can't seem to find anyone who has the same problem.

14. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Sorry to hear that signex, but i have something you can try. While the game is running, please press alt+enter. That should switch the game between windowed mode, borderless mode and ful screen mode. Does that fix it?

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    That was the first thing that came to my mind, but it didn't work either. :(

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    What game is this happening in? I'd suggest reinstalling drivers and using DDU before installing again.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
  18. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    Hi Matt,
    One question, my processor only supports 16 lines of pci express and I got a pair of 290x at 8 lines each. If I install a sound card at one pci express x1, how will affect my crossfire?

19. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Have you tried a fresh install?

Is that using the motherboard in your signature? It should be fine.

20. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    Yes it is. Another question, after installing the sound card (1x), my cards will still run at 8x each or the second one will run at 4x.