Strategy Games - Can You Help Me Get Started?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rm082e, Jan 1, 2015.

1. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    So I was a life long console kid, and I wholesale switched to PC about 18 months ago, mainly because I wanted a big technical leap and it was clear the new consoles weren't going to provide that. I've been playing a lot of the same stuff that comes to consoles, and also a few more indie titles. While that's been great, I really want to start delving more into game types that I never got on the consoles. Strategy games (single player only) are at the top of that list.

Over the last year or so, I've managed to pick up a handful of strategy games on various sales, and a buddy online just gifted me Divinity: Original Sin this morning out of nowhere (THANKS JAMES!!!). Problem is, I'm completely ignorant of this group of genres, and they seem kind of impenetrable to an FPS/Action/RPG guy like myself. I was hoping I could get a little guidance from people who have more experience than myself.

So here is the list of games I've got in my Steam library:

Civ 5
    X-Com: Enemy Unknown
    Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
    The Banner Saga
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Total War: SHOGUN2
    Company of Heroes 2
    Age of Wonders III

I've poked around in Civ 5 for less than 2 hours, but very little has happened and I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Could you all help me order these from easiest to understand to hardest? I'm not worried about how hard the gameplay is, just how hard a game is to wrap my mind around. I enjoy a good challenge. I'm guessing Civ and Xcom would be easier to pick up, and Divinity, Fallen Enchantress and The Banner Saga would be on the harder end?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. :)

2. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Divinity is an RPG not strategy game.
    Definitely don't start with Civilization. X-Com and Company of Heroes are the simplest, CoH should be best (easiest) for beginner.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    All I'll say is that some of these games have quite a bit of depth for today's standard. I'd just keep playing them, look up some guides for whatever game you enjoy most and try to understand it. Watch some youtube guides too.

You won't pick up on everything in an instant, I've been playing RTS since day one (yes, I was there) and TBS (Turn Based Strategy) too. And I remember the grandfathers of RPG genre. But I also remember that it took a long time to come to grips with things.

Definitely look up some guides for the games you end up playing though, they are very helpful.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Civ 5 is great, I've played games lasting 60-80 hours.

I learnt to play it by just jumping in and seeing what happens, first game or two there was a learning curve but great fun none the less. Few games later and you learn the 'strategy' of it.

AoW3 and CoH2 are also very good.

Haven't played the others.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Civ5 is great but turn based games just take so long to play a game. I'm more of a fan of RTS games like Age of Empires or Rise of Nations.

I also would definitely not start with any of the Total War games. For strategy noobs, they are very complicated and will more than likely turn you away from this genre all together. Company of Heroes is a good one to start with.

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
  7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Starcraft 2 is the only one that comes to mind. Not really a strategy guy myself.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Supreme Commander, Rise of Nations.

9. vavyn

vavyn Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Command and conquer kane's wrath. Game play is easy but to fully understand the game it will take some time to get used to it.

10. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    AoE 2/AoE 2 HD.

Edit _+_=_+-+___=__++_+
    My bad. You want TBS.

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Seems like you're into 4x/RPG games.

Endless legend 4x

DAO for more of a cRPG experience.
    Wasteland 2 alternative cRPG

I would start playing the ones you've already got tho. Most of them are massive time sinks. Just can't expect to go in and learn the game and adapt to 4x or cRPGs within a few hours.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  12. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Rise of Nations is one of my all time favourites, nice mix of Civ and AOE
    Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne are must plays imo

13. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    Starcraft 2 - there is a free edition which lets you play all three races. Currently the biggest online RTS game.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - get the expansions as well, as they add races. Online has died off but you can still get games using GameRanger. Single player has full campaign and skirmish mode as well.

14. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Im always up for a game of Soulstorm... :)

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If you're new to starcraft I would advise against playing online.
    Dawn of War 2 is good and made by the same people who did Company of Heroes

16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    The original X-Com = UFO:Enemy Unknown with open Xcom mod and play on Superhuman level. Nerve racking and I love every minute of it.

Followed by Terror from the Deep (X-Com 2) and X-Com Apocalypse. You can get this pack off Steam dirt cheap when on sale.

Another game would be Shadowrun on the PC and even the old school Shadowrun on the Super Famicom/SNES.

17. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Where did OP mention he wants game recommendations, ffs.

He asked for tips for games that He have, if he just started his adventure with strategy games and already have 8 games, you guys really think that he needs more?

Especially with some of the best titles (Civilization or Total War), even if these are too complex for newcomer, he have great games like CoH or X-Com.

Judging by some replies some people are posting without even reading OP...

Like I mentioned earlier, start with Company of Heroes or X-Com. Civilization and Total War are (like You said) hardest to understand and most complex.
    You shouldn't need guide for CoH.

18. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Ah my mistake. I thought this was more of a strategy RPG, along the lines of Valkyria Chronicles or FF Tactics - but you know...not Japan.

Thanks, I think I'll take your advice and install CoH first. :thumbup:

19. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    CoH has a very good turtorial to get your started.

20. mafia_boy

mafia_boy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 970 4gig
    company of heroes is the best ww2 strategy game i've played to date, even all the expansions and the latest game ardennes assault is excellent, gameplay is just perfect, camera angles puts you right in the thick of the battles and it actually plays well , maxed out graphics, looks awesome, well worth playing!!!