MSI reaches DDR4 frequency of 4032MHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm just abiding my time, watching as DDR4 matures...

Seems like we're going to have to push serious speeds to get any serious gain over DDR3. Though when that happens it'll finally be time to upgrade my 2600K and get a system with DDR4.

(not that I'm upgrading specifically for DDR4, but I like to be up to date when I buy a new motherboard/etc)

2. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I run my pc at ddr3 2400Mhz 10-10-10-27.

Anandtech did a pretty indepth study of all the available memory speeds and timings and 2400mhz at cas10 was the best performer beating out faster speeds at higher latencies and lower speed at tighter timings.

gskill ram is the brand i run

3. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards

So according to you we never ever have to review memory from different manufacturers because they will all benchmark and perform the same..
    Right ? That is what your saying in simple terms.

You should edit your post because its oh so broken.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    There are actually benefits to higher speed RAM these days. If you've got the right platform for it. Haswell and Devil's Canyon* in particular really benefit from 2133 or 2400. Not all programs/games will show any difference, but there are definitely some that do.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nothing I said is incorrect. Good reviews for RAM will demonstrate XMP profiles if there are any, they will also overclock it to show the limits of the piece, and run the RAM on different platforms and CPUs. The latter can have a huge impact, apples to apples comparisons of ram running jedec spec will show no difference which is why most review places do not do that, and if they do its usually not apples to apples and will list the rest of platform the benchmark was run on. Motherboards being the most important.

I dont think you have any interest in learning, but let me help you http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC_memory_standards#JEDEC_standardization_goals

6. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards

Stop spamming garbage,
    You don't understand what it is im trying to explain to you.
    Take your time and read it slower if your having problems absorbing what im trying to teach you, Give yourself a little longer to read whats being written and maybe you will understand it then.

Now take a deep breath and take your time pls I don't want to have to do this again.

Performance under certain Stress tests used in Overclocking is increasing if you use High Frequency rated ram with lower clocks and lower timings more than if you increase Frequency not to mention heat and power consumption and more stable Overclock in general...

Any good overclocker first establishes him self a steady BUS on the CPU/MOBO/RAM and then with playing with the Vcore tries to achieve higher clock speeds not the other way around...!

He should not of used this memory to test lower clocks because that memory will give better results at lower clocks because its better quality than memory rated @ lower clocks.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    This is ironic. Your dribble is hardly readable.

Anyway, maybe this is a case of buyers remorse. Im sorry, but facts are facts, due to standards ram rated at certain speeds perform identical. This is why manufacturers use so much marketing for ram. Its not my fault you are too thick headed to understand this.

8. tsk2k

tsk2k Guest

GPU:
    Adreno 330
    Ah, ignorance is bliss, that's for true.
    You'd think you could expect more from a forum like this, but no.

anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

Read the above article, educate yourself, and come back with comments on the topic.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    agree, it depend of what you need...

i was using super OC processor and ultra (expensive) fast ram...
    now i use normal speed Xeon and ECC ram... and it perform the same, for game. (of course for working it is much more fast thx to tesla).

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm kinda anxious to see what AMD APU's will be capable of once they get DDR4 support.

Should boost performance a fair bit.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Really? http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

Yea, it's cherry picked benchmarks, but still shows benefits over +12% at times.

12. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Hard to believe someone wrote more than one post denying JEDEC standards exist/are relevant.

This whole thread is really weird. You're obviously gonna have higher memory bandwidth at higher speeds, the point is that finding that freqs/timings sweet spot is not going to affect your gaming performance significantly , and if it does you're not straining your GPU hard enough.

13. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Everything higher then 1600 fbs is bullcrap for gaming.
    Video/editor thats a different story.

14. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Linus is a complete and utter moron pal. Do not go quoting that loser here. It's not going to make you look good.

Simple fact if the matter is he just changed the memory ratio, voltage and primary timings. He did NOT change the secondary or tertiary timings, for that he is a n00b (I knew this already, I can't stand the little prick).

It's obvious you yourself don't know a thing about this subject or you wouldn't have tried to steer us towards a "Linus Goof Tips" video.

*edit*

I'm not saying that changing the secondary and tertiary timings will make a huge difference, but having your secondary and tertiary timings all messed up can and will affect frame times. Period.

I've seen it happen, it's not debatable. To what level it screws with gaming is dependent on how bad you messed up manually inputting those timings, but it happens. Mark my words.

Furthermore, every single person here saying "oh you don't need more than 1600mhz RAM for gaming, anything more is a waste" HAS 1600mhz RAM in their sig rig. To the person who mentioned "buyers remorse", you seem to be one of these people.

Buyers remorse goes both ways here. I believe some of the 1600mhz users do in fact have just that (buyers remorse) and it comes out in other ways. Such as attacking other members for their opinions.

:)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015