help choosing monitor 27" or 29"

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by kazama, Dec 10, 2014.

1. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    Hi, i own a benq xl2410t 1080p 120hz, monitor that will move to another pc.

Im thinking about buy a 1440p (got one msi gtx 980 gamming 4g and 2600k 4.5), i need hdmi and audio jack output, because i connect ps4/xbox to it.Choosing a 1440p will play fine at 1080p on console? with no blurries for the "low" not native resolution?.

I dont know if choose 27" or 29", i think i prefer ips more than ta panel, for the better colors but i dont want input lag, ghosting etc...if the monitor got gsync will be fine to.

Monitor is 90% of the times for playing games, fps basically and other games and like i sayed ps4/xbox.

what are your opinions?

2. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    When I chose my monitor (XL2720Z for those interested) I broke each monitor into 3 components to compare:
    • Colour accuracy/viewing angles
    • Speed (refresh rate and/or input lag)
    • Resolution

It would seem, in my research anyway, you can't have all 3, only ever 2. So pick the one you value least important and disregard it in your selection.

Since your essentially after a gaming monitor I think you'll have to sacrifice Colour Accuracy I'm afraid. You can't (yet) get a 120hz+ IPS.

The obvious choice for you would be the ASUS ROG Swift, but it's very expensive as I'm sure you're already aware, however there are a couple of 1440p 144hz gaming monitors coming out that will be cheaper than the ROG Swift if you don't want to sacrifice the resolution.

QUICK EDIT: There are the QNix 1440p monitors that are usually overclockable to 96hz or so, higher if you're lucky, but the image quality isn't exactly stellar going by the reviews. Probably best bang for buck in it's price range tho.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Qnix user here, 120hz, PLS, 1440p, stellar image quality, compared to any TN panel out there. Sub £220.

4. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I've never even seen one to be honest buddy, but the reviews I've seen never seem to state image quality is great, just that the value is. But yes, I do agree that IPS should always beat TN unless it's a particularly bad example.

I wasn't dissing them, heck if they were UK stock I'd have gotten one.

I'd still got for a TN for a pure gaming monitor tho, refresh rate isn't everything and by definition the response rate will be faster on a TN.

5. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    What do you think about Asus PB287Q? of course i only use 4k on desktop, gamming 1440p on pc 1080p on console.

Or better the asus pb278q? i like the new benq xl2720g, but dont appear for buy in europe jet.

I think im going to TN again for pure gamming.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I've not used the ASUSUSSSS'S but if the xl2720g is the xl2720z with G-Sync then that will be rather special. The xl2720z is, in my opinion, the best 1080p 144hz you can get and the stand is phenomenal.

Only reason I didn't go with a G-Sync is I can't guarantee my next card would be nvidia.

7. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

The overclockable ones (DVI-d only) use a Samsung pls display, image quality is fine as in Samsung pls display fine.. Only reviews I have seen are for the unclockable true 10 which uses a different ahva display. The big downside with the overclockable ones are the crappy stand and no osd.

I'd say they are the perfect do everything pretty darn good monitor. 1440p, amazing colors and viewing angles and less blur than any 60hz monitor, and the 120hz refresh rate is pretty decent with actually really great pixel response time for a pls monitor (6ms). The input response time is I believe 1 or 3 ms, so it's a perfectly fine gaming monitor. It won't be as blur/ghost free as a 144hz tn, but is pretty darn good and boasts a much better display as far as everything else goes and like I said the input response time isn't an issue at all and it be had all for less than $300.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  8. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    A 27" monitor using an LG AH-IPS panel will give you a really fine dot pitch and the best color.
    I've directly compared my older Asus 278 27" (1080) to my newer Yamakasi 27" (1440) DS270 monitor, the AH-IPS panel is noticeably nicer.
    Great being able to read text while the monitor runs at 2560X1440.

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Same. Just got to love the QNIX. :)

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Another vote for the Qnix having stellar quality even when overclocked, particularly with color profiles that fix the gamma shift for the older panels. Newer samples of the Qnix do not have gamma shift when overclocked. The monitor will look pretty much exactly the same at 96Hz as it would look at 60Hz, color-wise.

Anyone who doesn't believe me can ask for measurements, I'll be glad to oblige.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I got BenQ GW2765HT (yesterday) at work, no gaming done on it. I think it was like 4ms g2g, IPS, 2560*2440 and so. Has one 3.5mm audio out, cant say anything about the audio quality.

I have been gaming on 60Hz monitor with much worse response time and still no problems. Cant see why this would not be good for gaming, things like G-Sync, 120Hz and stuff sure are nice, but you can live without those too.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just noticed the Qnix can now be had sub £160. I'm actually thinking about getting one of the new ones so that I can run 96hz 24/7 without any side effects.

13. mnemo05

mnemo05 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti AMP! OC
    Recently got a hard to pass-up deal with my U2913WM and I am loving this monitor so far.. never imagined I would enjoy playing games on an ultra-wide monitor!

running the monitor @75hz only though as any higher than that and I will get skips.

14. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    How is this monitor en bf4 or other fast paced shooters? 8ms gtg

15. mnemo05

mnemo05 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti AMP! OC
    I dont play bf4 but i do alot of CS:GO.. it is not tourney grade in terms of response times but running it at 75hz, I can feel the difference as compared to running it at 60hz..

I guess for my needs it is sufficient enough, with adaptive v-sync enabled in the nvidia control panel, I hardly notice any tearing nor ghosting..

16. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Just remember when going to a larger screen, you should get a higher native resolution. I had a 27 inch 1080p, then bought this 27 inch ROG Swift 1440p and realized how bad the previous display looked because my resolution was maxed at 1080p. I think 1440p is perfect for 27 inches. Anything larger than 27 inches and you should consider something like 2160p in my opinion.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont know if the OP have finally allready buy his monitor..

But the CES2015 start next week, i will seriously wait a little bit to see what is announced there. ( ofc this dont allways mean availability will be immediate ).

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The newer panels have a smaller gamut though, they would look different side-by-side with the new panel covering around 90% of the sRGB colorspace vs. 97-99.7% with the old panel. New panels don't overclock as far and some struggle to get to 96Hz. The new usual max is 108Hz and the new usual minimum seems to be ~90Hz.

19. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    i dont decided yet, im still waiting what new year have to show.