ReShade - Advanced post-processing everywhere (SweetFX)

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by CeeJay.dk, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Bersek

Bersek Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD 7950 3GB
    Works just fine. Thank you!! Pure cinematic experience awaits me now! ;)

2. kgonepostl

kgonepostl Member

GPU:
    asus r9 290 dcu II
    Can somebody make a youtube video to show how to manually install this? I can't figure this out.

Edit: I think I figured it out. I have a question though. If you want to load your own sweetfx preset, do you replace the SweetFX_Settings.txt file with your preset?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Yep, it's disabled. There's no notification about it being enabled showing up and calling it with the defined key combination doesn't have an effect.
    I also don't think that other hook tools are active.

Is it hard to make ReShade compatible with overlays? For example, eFX does work with Origin Overlay in BF4 or new RTSS version with delayed injection.
    Unfortunately, Garden Warfare can't be played with friends without Origin Overlay. :(

Sent a request, hopefully I'll be able to help. :)

4. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    oh yes !!!
    thx CeeJay and Crosire !!!

gonna test that now XD

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Pressing the scroll Lock to disable, does nothing at all.
    I disabled transition and got this instead.

[​IMG]

I also tried running in DX9 and got the same result.

Could be a problem with Cryengine?

6. kgonepostl

kgonepostl Member

GPU:
    asus r9 290 dcu II
    Watch_Dogs keeps crashing. Where's the log file!?

7. Wicked_Sick

Wicked_Sick Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I can confirm that it works with Final Fantasy 13 :)

Has anyone managed to use the Martin's DOF fx with this beta release? Just to know =p

8. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Yes.
    Format 24 is R10G10B10A2_UNORM - a 30 bit color format.

Reshade currently can't save formats that doesn't use 24 bit color.
    If I remember correctly because Reshade saves 24 bit PNGs and doesn't (yet) contain any code to convert from a 30 bit color format to a 24 bit one.

It's possible to do capture screenshots from these by either adding code to Reshade that does this or by forcing the output format to be 24 bit (and probably dither before doing this) .. but that hasn't been added yet.

30 bit color games however are quite rare .. do report these kind of errors as I have trouble finding these games for testing purposes.

The D.I.R.T games and FEAR 3 also use non-standard output formats.
    Earlier testing with those revealed this problem, and required a rewrite of Reshade which pushed back release about a week.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  9. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Happy Birthday!

There is currently no FPS button in Reshade.

I'd like for the user to be able to configure which statistics he would like to see (currently it just shows all of them) and for Reshade to have a button to toggle the display of the statistics on/off, but currently you have to set it in the Reshade options and it stays on until you change it in the options again (this can be done while the game is running though .. just like with the SweetFX settings).

10. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Congrats guys, what an awesome tool you give us!

11. nekrik

nekrik Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti Msi gaming X
    Thank you Ceejay and Crosire for your awesome tool, You are Geniuses. I am playing with it for a few hours now and i have to say that it's one of the best tools i ever used and the best injector by far. :)

I can confirm that Reshade works with Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. It grabs perfect the Depth Buffer and both Sweetfx and Martinsh Bokeh DOF works and looks great. The only minor issue i found while tinkering with settings to adjust DOF with MKKE is that for some reason it blurs the energy bars HUD like it is out of focus it can be seen at screenshots below). This is mostly visible at stages far Z depth. Maybe some compatibility issue with the DOF not recognizing hud or overlays i dont know.

I am posting some MKKE comparison screens between Vanilla and Reshade with SweetFx and Martins DOF effect.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Looks neat. :)

13. Wicked_Sick

Wicked_Sick Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480
    How did you do it? Please, share the knowledge xD

14. Mikan

Mikan Guest

GPU:
    Asus MATRIX-R9290X-P-4GD5
    Hi^^
    Thank you Crosire and CeeJay.dk :)

"Dragon Age Origin"
    First it would not run directly from "reshade setup" after looking up exe
    and it auto select dx9. Tried just run game exe after and it worked.
    Removed everything and tried again, this time it worked directly from
    "reshade setup".
    Either way it works but needs ingame MSAA off for DOF shader to work.
    It is not an issue, just thought would be nice for others to know
    since it is probly not the only game this could happen.

Will test other games soon ^^

15. nekrik

nekrik Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti Msi gaming X
    Ok!
    After you extract the files follow the steps described by Ceejay in readme file.
    That is, running the ReShade Setup.exe file manually and pointing to MKKE.exe. After that click on the direct3D 9 button and the setup will complete.

The second step is to rename the "DOF (martinsh).fx" file into "d3d9.fx" and to copy it inside Sweetfx folder.
    After that open the Sweet.fx file and under settings add the following #include "SweetFX/d3d9.fx" as it is.
    now when you run the game reshade will be enabled and Sweetfx applied together with the DOF effect. But for configuring the effect for specific application you must experiment with the user settings inside d3d9.fx and especially the settings i describe below

static const float znear = 0.1; //camera clipping start
    static const float zfar = 100.0; //camera clipping end
    static const int samples = 3; //samples on the first ring
    static const int rings = 3; //ring count

#define MANUALDOF 1
    static const float ndofstart = 1.0; //near dof blur start
    static const float ndofdist = 2.0; //near dof blur falloff distance
    static const float fdofstart = 1.0; //far dof blur start
    static const float fdofdist = 3.0; //far dof blur falloff distance

For ease of use while configuring DOF it's recommended to have the
    #define DEBUG parameter to 1 to make the DOF parameters visible in real time on the scene rendering like on the image below:
    [​IMG]

16. Wicked_Sick

Wicked_Sick Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Thank you! I will try this right now XD

EDIT!

THANKS! But did not work with FF13 haha I get a yellow warning and it disables everything. Perhaps it will be better to wait!

http://i.imgur.com/hwoisJK.png

17. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's unfortunate. Could you too get in direct contact with me, so we can figure it out? =)
    CryEngine itself isn't the problem, tried it with the CryEngine SDK and it works just fine.

Thanks =)

Yes, I forgot to mention that, thanks for remembering. ReShade's depth access only works with MSAA turned off (in DirectX that is, a warning is printed to the log when MSAA is turned on to clarify this). It's the only limitation. Everything besides depth works just fine with MSAA.

That's a warning of the shader compiler and thus a bug in the shader, not ReShade. The yellow on-screen warning is a feature of ReShade, which displays all compiler warnings and errors right in the game so it's easier for developers to fix them right away without having to go into the log file first.

18. Wicked_Sick

Wicked_Sick Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480
    "ReShade's depth access only works with MSAA turned off"

Oh, I see, thank you for the explanation. It will be better for me to wait, then. FF13 does not allow me to turn off MSAA. Unless I use a custom launcher that allows me to do it, but that messes the hair.

It's ok, though. I like what I have seen so far. This is absolutely a must have for everyone.

I will tell you all something that always managed to make me really angry, something that makes me want to grab the other person's neck and strangle them until they pass out and I can engage in a season of kicks on their faces... *breath*
    It's when someone say to me "I can do all that just changing my monitor settings" ugh.. How I hate to hear that, I don't even try to explain what is it that you can do with SFX and now with Reshade.

EDIT 3!

I have a question. I have a 16:10 monitor, when I play certain games, I am forced to deal with the letter box. Or I seek an alternative app to solve this issue without stretching the image, or I accept it when there's none, like in FF13. It seems I have I to make my desktop resolution an aspect ratio of 16:9 in order to play without the letter box, but I haven't tried this yet.

Well, with Reshade, when I am alt tabbing a game, I have seen this weird image with no textures, but something else that I don't know how it's called. I have also noticed that it, pressing left alt, it stretches the image. is there a way to keep things this way using Reshade? To keep the image stretched but with the correct textures and all?

http://i.imgur.com/PWIb3Ln.png

http://i.imgur.com/f11nZuB.png

19. PandaSushi

PandaSushi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    Was having the MSVCR110.dll error also when trying reshade with PvZ Garden warfare and BF4.
    I found the problem was rtss overlay needed to be disable,now both games are working.

20. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Besides the more obvious stuff that Depth Buffer access enables, it also enables the ability to use SMAA Predication.

#define SMAA_PREDICATION 1 to enable

It's a Hybrid mode where SMAA first runs edge detection on a buffer useful for predication .. in our case we use the depth buffer - then it runs the normal edge detection.

Having two buffers to detect edges in is more accurate than just one and it catches more edges which leads to better antialiasing.

Another thing that is possible is edge detection on the depth buffer alone.
    #define SMAA_EDGE_DETECTION 3 enables this.

This uses only the depth buffer, which might miss some edges that only shows up in the color buffer, but on the other hand it also doesn't process the game UI because the UI is not something that the depth buffer is normally used for.
    Thus you can have SMAA antialiasing and keep the game text unprocessed.

I'm still trying to figure out the best settings for these but so far I've found that it's possible to use a really low threshold for the depth buffer (both for depth edge detection and for predication) because the depth buffer is very clean so even using a very low threshold doesn't pick up a false edges.

0.01 works fine for me .. I even think it's possible to go lower to 0.005 or something like that .. just don't go to 0.00.