Does Flash Player Hardware Acceleration cause BSODs for you ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Extraordinary, Sep 8, 2014.

?

Do you experience BSODs with Hardware Acceleration enabled in Flash Player?

1. Answer: Yes Firefox

26.8%
  2. Answer: Yes Chrome

19.6%
  3. Answer: Yes IE

8.9%
  4. Answer: No Firefox

37.5%
  5. Answer: No Chrome

42.0%
  6. Answer: No IE

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ahmed89eng

ahmed89eng Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7660G
    The Solution

i tried everything in google from installing all updates of windows ,drivers(GPU),browsers and flash player. even i changed my OS more times (7,8,8.1)(64bit,32bit) or disable acceleration mode in flash player nothing help me to solve this problem, except one of these things i think it maybe solved my problem :
    1-update my bios. (low probability)
    2-open my pc and i cleaned my RAM slots and RAM from dust.(high probability)
    3-remove CMOS battery more than 1min.(Medium probability)

i think the problem in RAM because many of peoples around world said that!

forgive me for my weak language :puke2:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. Bugzzz

Bugzzz Guest

GPU:
    w/e
    Recent drivers no longer cause bsod but the amount of streams you can have seem to be limited around to 6 or 8 (video bit rate and resolution might be involved somehow). Above that the video player only plays audio with a black screen. HD7950.

Also this new black screen with audio only might be some flash/amd limitation olver versions of flash media player might still cause bsod.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  3. Jack Hair

Jack Hair Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970 @ 1200/1562
    I had a HD5850 and now HD7970 didn't have problems with either one. The HD5850 got used on XP/Win7/Win8 no problems at all ever. The 7970 on win 8 0 problems. Always used H/W acc.

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I always had problems with Flash until I finally decide to beat the bullet and uninstall Adobe "bloatware" Flash and have been running with HTML5 flawlessly for a month without any issues whatsoever.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Haven't had it happen in a awhile since the new drivers but I think the problem was more prominent on Radeon cards than r7/r9's.

6. Damien147

Damien147 Active Member

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    Random green screen while playing video here and usually BSOD follows.

7. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Aye, flash is still a pain in the ass. Moved to html5 for playing videos, enough of it already, seen no bsod ever since. The thing about flash is that it sometimes does not cause the crash right away, but some time, minutes or more after the video. Can game for days and have no issues, but once I run some flash with hw acceleration enabled, I'm on the clock towards crash.
    This with clean install of omegas, was worse before :)

8. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Not anymore. Using the Catalyst Omega 14.12 drivers now and the problem is gone. Besides, Chrome uses HTML 5 when possible and I don't use Firefox to watch flash videos that often.

On the whole, the problem has disappeared.

9. fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx Guest

GPU:
    radeon r9 290x
    (Sorry for bumping this old topic, I just thought I'd add a solution incase somebody else stumbles upon this)...

Your CPU is probably getting too hot. Check it's temperature when using hardware acceleration, Catalyst Control Center/AMD Settings, converting files, or anything else that could possibly cause your CPU to work harder. Anything above 80 degrees celsius (176 F) is too hot.

If it IS getting too hot, check that your thermal paste hasn't dried up. If the paste is ok but your CPU is still overheating, then you'll have to get a better cooler.

10. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Unlikely. Modern CPUs and GPUs underclock when they get too hot. This was a bug in AMDs drivers. It has been resolved for some time now.