Windows 7 crashes when returning from sleep mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by VultureX, Dec 17, 2014.

1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Hey everyone,

What can I do to resolve this problem? Basically when I try to return from sleep mode when using an NVidia card Windows 7 crashes without blue screen, it just reboots.
    The problem is directly traceable to the graphics card.

The problem occurs both on the system you see in my sig and on the following system:

Motherboard: Asrock B85M Pro4
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics Card: Zotac 670GTX
    CPU: Intel i5-4440
    Audio: On board
    PSU: XFX PRO550W P1-550S-XXB9

I'm using the latest WHQL drivers for the Nvidia card and the Intel HD graphics drivers are also installed. Everything works fine when I take out the NVidia cards. With an NVidia card in the system there is no way to properly return from sleep mode.

2. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    What happen if you disabled Intel HD graphics, did it happen also?

3. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Likely not enough vram :D

Kidding aside, I'd try removing the Intel driver and then disable the on-board.

4. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yea, I've tried that again with the latest NVidia drivers, but it's not the Intel graphics that are failing, it's either the NVidia drivers or the motherboard BIOS returning the add-on card from sleep mode. I don't have an AMD card to test with, though.

I already disabled/enabled all the PCI-E power link state management, I've already tried Prefer Maximum Performance instead of Adaptive in the nvidia control panel, but it's all futile. The BSOD message tells me there was some sort of hardware failure. It's just the card failing to return from sleep mode, so I suspect that this is another nvidia driver bug that'll never be fixed.

5. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    So, maybe you can try to email the kernel dump to ManuelG, and hope it will be fixed? :)

6. Crimson Wolf

Crimson Wolf Member

GPU:
    GTX980 4GB
    Can you check if you have Allow Hybrid Sleep on? Also how much HD space left on your OS drive?

7. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Thanks for the suggestion, hybrid sleep was turned on indeed. I turned it off, but it still crashes. The SSD has 190GB left and is 250GB in size, so that shouldn't be it either.

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yea, I can file a bug report, but from my experience that rarely changes anything, at least not in a forseeable time frame.

9. kakkoii

kakkoii Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti 3GB SC ACX
    I've been experiencing a similar issue. Recently, when my computer has awoken from sleep, it will become unstable, I'll get momentary stutters of my whole system, usually when watching videos online, and the issue only goes away once I've rebooted. Almost like TDRs, but without the screen flicker.

And now a new issue has cropped up, after playing a game for a while, closing it and going back to Chrome, my computer locks up completely... =/

Don't know how I can diagnose this with no dump logs and nothing suspicious in Event Viewer.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

11. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yes, I have done that too, but it didn't help!

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried a fresh install of Windows ?

13. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    It was a clean install, there's pretty much nothing on there except internet security software.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried disabling / removing that as a test?

Which IS are you running?

EDIT - Tried a different PCIE slot too ?

15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Norton Internet Security. Uninstalling that seems a bit random. I may try switching PCI-E slots, but I fear this is futile as well. I just tried out hibernation and that crashes with a Nvlddmkm.sys blue screen when returning, so I'm pretty sure it's the driver. I've fiddled with all the power management settings in BIOS too, although I couldn't test all combinations.

I may have more luck trying out every other driver that has been released since the 6 series launch... :puke2: